Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using vintage stuff on a hunt...

Boolit Bub

Using vintage stuff on a hunt...

I'm off to meet a friend at daylight tomorrow morning (Dec. 2) to make an all day deer or maybe hog hunt. The rifle of choice will be a Remington Model 141 in .35 Remington. According to the date code- DK- it was made in Sept. of 1941. To keep my hands warm I will be using my dads Jon-E hand warmer in it's original bag. He got it in 1955 and I'll probably light it with his Airflam lighter which is from about the same era. Too bad I don't have a red plaid Woolrich coat.

Good luck. If tomorrow morning is anything like this morning was here in AL, you should have an awesome day.

Bmanis

Boolit Master

Chris I'd say the day will be great for you. Your dad would be very proud. I think I see a Woolrich coat in your future! I don't believe in "luck" exactly. I think as a good hunter who does the necessary homework with his rifle, and in reading sign, scouting, etc that you make your own luck. With that said I think there is hunter's or fishermen's luck. So I say good hunting and good luck tomorrow.

Boolit Bub
    No deer. Actually there could have been as I fell asleep for a while. Friend shot a spike buck that was about 100 pounds. Range to target...45 steps. Swamps offer such long shots. But it was a nice time had by all.

Banned

I really like those old model 141s and love the .35 Remington. It's nice to use old guns and tools, just makes for a more memorable experience.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    There was a time when red plaid hats, coats, pants and leather lace up boots at almost knee height was the uniform of every WWII Veteran I knew in deer season.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master

I cannot think of the deer blind I havn't fallen asleep in. Woke up one time and there was a neat little 4 point not 5 feet away from me wondering what in the heck was that !!!! Other times have come to and got the shot I wanted and brought home the meat. All part of the game. Generally unless the weather is totally crappy it is the combination of the clean air, the birds and other critters scratching around and the general overall peace.
    Looking forward to it next year and hopefully for many years to come.

Facta non verba

Vendor Sponsor

The funny thing about the 'Old stuff" is that it works just as well today as it did 50 or even 100 years ago.

There is no new caliber rifle that kills anything any deader than they did 100 years ago. I personally think cartridge development should have stopped at the .30-06

I personally don't see the need for Camo Clothing. Animals can't see colors anyway, and most can't recognize the human form. They can damn sure smell you though so I guess you need to pay attention to which way the wind is blowing,, but really you need to do that anyway just as a normal part of life.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-06-2011 at 11:19 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    My favorite hunting rifle is my 50's era Savage 99 in 300 Savage of course. I wear a red plaid Woolrich hunting coat, Johnson wool pants and LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes. I thought I was up to date but now your telling me I'm "Old Stuff"?
    Maineboy

Quote Originally Posted by Maineboy View Post
    My favorite hunting rifle is my 50's era Savage 99 in 300 Savage of course. I wear a red plaid Woolrich hunting coat, Johnson wool pants and LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes. I thought I was up to date but now your telling me I'm "Old Stuff"?
    Do not worry all things come back in style eventually lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Bub
    I almost decided to take my other model 14 which is a .32 Remington caliber. However, with leaves being quite deep and if I had got a shot at something, pumped the action and lost the precious brass I'd have been more worried about that than the deer. .35's are lots easier to replace. Maybe some day my 1914 vintage .32 will get the oportunity to do what it was designed for.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith View Post
    I almost decided to take my other model 14 which is a .32 Remington caliber. However, with leaves being quite deep and if I had got a shot at something, pumped the action and lost the precious brass I'd have been more worried about that than the deer. .35's are lots easier to replace. Maybe some day my 1914 vintage .32 will get the oportunity to do what it was designed for.
    Can the old Remington rimless cases be made from something else? I had heard that the 6.8 SPC wa a necked down and blown out .30 Remington case, perhaps those 6.8 cases could be used to make new ones.

Those old Remington pump rifles are really neat, I have come close to buying one in .35 Remington several times and will one day.

Boolit Bub
    Nope. The 6.8 empty I have is 1.680 inch. A real live .32 Remington is 2.055 after being fired twice. A .35 case is 1.900 inch and the one I checked is .456 at the rim. A .32 is .421. I have some but since I don't shoot it very often those will have to suffice. I've made a few from 30-30 brass on my lathe but it's time consuming. They still have to be fire formed as the shoulder angle is steeper on the .32 round.

Boolit Buddy
    I used a rifle made in 1888 this year to take a Moose! Fun using the old ones. The toolman

Boolit Master
    I am working on a project gun, a 137 year old French gras carbine, single shot in 11 X 59R mm
    I hope to take a deer with it next season.

It's neat using old equipment - it was made to last.

I used to have a rem. 141 in 35 Rem, gave it away to a twelve year old who had better eyes than mine - with my old eyes iron sites dictate a much shorter range these days then in my younger days.

Good luck on getting that 141 it's first blood (in your hands), it could probably tell you some great campfire hunting stories if it could talk.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master
    I use my dads Weaver 2.5 x steel scope He bought it for a whooping $39 in 1962 (60 C model)

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    I use my dads Weaver 2.5 x steel scope He bought it for a whooping $39 in 1962 (60 C model)
    In 62 that was not cheap. Heck gas was around $O.25 a gallon lol. Or to say he could have purchased 156Gal of gas for the same amount lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Trollwhack View Post
    There was a time when red plaid hats, coats, pants and leather lace up boots at almost knee height was the uniform of every WWII Veteran I knew in deer season.

BvT
    Around my parts it was green plad for most guys. I'm not a WWII vet but I've worn my green plad wool hat not only for hunting, but for general all-winter use for years. It probably needs replacing, and Johnson Woolens is just down the road. I hesitate to buy a new one though--some of the old timers would label me as just another big city wannabee.

Boolit Grand Master

I killed a deer with my M81 Remington made in 1922 then a friend got it and he's killed deer with it. They love you more if you take them out for exercise every now and then.

Boolit Bub
    It's amazing to me how many things have been declared obselete that still work just fine. Certain cartridges, low power scopes, and to dare be seen hunting with one of those old fashioned lever action rifles. Most people I know (around here anyway) have never even heard of a pump action rifle and to use one of those "things" without a huge scope to make the 50 yard shot makes me some kind of cave man in their eyes. I have actually been asked how did I manage to hit anything at all using those open sights on that old rifle. Just because my rifle was new when automobiles were still a novelty seems to make some think that it is inferior.I just laugh.