Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Would You Do...

Boolit Grand Master
    Wheel weights have no magical properties. They are a lead based alloy.
    With pure lead, some Linotype, and a bit of magnum shot for As we can get as close as we need. Heck, we can make alloys that are even better for some situations.
    I don't use any wheel weights right now. I mix and match what I have. My most commonly used base is range scrap. The range I shoot at has numerous pistol pits so it is easy to get a couple hundred pounds per year. This is by just spending a few minutes every time I go out. Nothing quite like coming home with more lead than I left with.

Boolit Master
    LT is 5% tin. If you mix 5# lead and 1# LT, you will have a mixture with 1% tin. That should be enough for good casting since guys cast with straight ww and get good results. 50/50 lead/LT is way too rich in tin and therefore a waste of tin.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Hhhmmm . . . Who is this Gene?

Rick

Oops...I meant Glen-fingers got ahead of my brain.

Boolit Grand Master

Back when I was doing 50-50 Pb-Lino, I was still of the mind that this might not be hard enough.

I now know that range lead at about 8 BHN will work just fine for full mag loads if I use
    a Keith, LBT blue and fit the boolits properly, and use 2400 or H110. This hardness stuff
    has really gotten out of hand. I usually add a dollop (that is a precision measurement term, ya know)
    of tin to make them look really nice.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
    Oops...I meant Glen-fingers got ahead of my brain.
    LASC is not Glen's web site, fact is that Glen does not have a web site though I do publish everything of Glen's that I can on my web site including the book and as many articles that I can get.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Back when I was doing 50-50 Pb-Lino, I was still of the mind that this might not be hard enough.

I now know that range lead at about 8 BHN will work just fine for full mag loads if I use a Keith, LBT blue and fit the boolits properly, and use 2400 or H110. This hardness stuff has really gotten out of hand. I usually add a dollop (that is a precision measurement term, ya know) of tin to make them look really nice.

Bill

Bill!

Amen!

I am really happy to hear you say that. That is the statement of a man that has done more shooting than he has reading.

I am also familiar with the dollop. It is just about two smidges.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    LASC is not Glen's web site, fact is that Glen does not have a web site though I do publish everything of Glen's that I can on my web site including the book and as many articles that I can get.

Rick
    LASC is YOUR website? Well, goes to show what this old feller knows. When I first saw the link for LASC some while back, all I saw was articles he had done on lead boolits. I reckon that's where I got it from. Many apologies my good man.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Grand Master

Not a problem Col, I was havin some fun with ya.

I am quite blessed and grateful that Glen (not Gene ) submits his work for publishing on my site. To me he is one of the very best gun writers today. I have been pig hunting with him up in Oregon and was fortunate to get to know him some; he has earned my respect as a friend and as a writer. He is knowledgeable and shares his knowledge freely.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I saw your location and put two and two together and thought, "Well, I'll be dipped!! Next time you two get together maybe ya'll can throw holy water(by proxy of course) on my GP100 and bless it..it needs it badly. But, I'm going to bed on that one as I don't want to have nightmares again.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Bub
    I have never had a good stockpile of lead but I'm working on it. I have a couple sources who said they would sell me a 5 gal bucket of WW for $25 in a couple weeks so I am hopeful of that.

In the mean time Swappin and selling is holding me over and being in a townhouse I would probably trade the raw for ingots anyway rather than smelt myself.

Boolit Master
    Well unfortunately for me, I got into this WAY too late, and the could have, should have, would have, has bitten me pretty hard. In my area there is a huge concentration of casters spread out all around, so any sources of WW's now are either all sold, recycled, or have 3-4 folks already contending for them.

When I started gearing up back in the first part of this year, I only had about 3/4 of a bucket of WW, that I had on hand for 12 or more years. I used it to make up large surf weights for shark fishing. I did manage to get a full bucket from one of my fishing buddies who graciously let me have them for free.

Since then I have purchased around 10 medium flat rate boxes of ingots from the members here, in an effort to build up somewhat of a stash. I try to get two boxes at a time so I have a better ratio of to be blended together with the next. Labor Day weekend, I took all I had on hand, separated it into individual piles, then pulling them together into equal piles of the different ingots, I smelted them together into one batch. So far it has done well for the 45 Colt, and 454 Casull loads I have used it in. It appears to be only a tad harder than my original WW alloy, as there was one batch of ingots, which was a bit harder and brought the BHN up a bit for the whole batch.

For me this is a much easier option than rooting all over town trying to keep ahead of the other folks. Even with the cost being a buck a pound, I feel it is still a better option, as everything has already been cleaned and fluxed at least once, and when I blend it up, I clean it at least once or twice again.

I have really come to appreciate the other members selling what extra they have, even with what they charge it is still cheaper than having to buy pure, and then blend it up to what I need. I don't see anything changing for the better around here unless my bud gets tired of all he had sitting around in his barn, and calls me to come get it. Until then I will continue to get what I can, when I can, and be happy I can do so.

I haven't started the burm mining just yet, but you can bet it is coming, and possibly even this weekend.
    Later,
    Mike / TX