Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: My first cast deer!

My first cast deer!

Thanks to many members of this site I took my first cast boolit deer last week using a 45-70 Handi-Rifle. I harvested a nice mature doe at about 110 yards with a 405gr FN bullet cast from 50/50 WW and pure lead with a pinch of tin. I loaded it over 49 grains of IMR4895. My first shot missed but the deer did not spook and I connected with a shot that broke both shoulders and dropped it instantly. No bloodshot meat at all. I could have thrown the bullet holes in the grinder.

It really was a cast boolits effort with mr mom providing me with a bottom pour Lee pot as a gift and Slingshot loaning me his mold and giving me 20 45-70 cases. I used Junior's 411 lube with JT8 Lithium Grease.

The help and advice I've gotten from fryboy, cyberguy, rainyday, and Steel13 as well as the guys listed above were invaluable in this and a half dozen other cast projects that I started over the last two years. I'm sure I've left a couple of guys out that I swapped and traded with.

At any rate it was the most exciting deer I've shot in a few years. Thanks, RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Banned

You know the rules, pics or it never happened!

Congrats on getting it all together at the right place and time.

Gear

Congrats!!! But like Mr. Gear said,,,,we need pics!!
    Preserve Wildlife,,,,use freezer bags!

Boolit Master
    What does a cast deer look like? What alloy did you cast that deer out of?

Just kidding, congrats,

vern
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master

several years ago the news had a story about a cast deer getting shot, it was cement and in someones front yard!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olevern View Post

Just kidding, congrats,

vern
    Ya beat me to it.

Miniature or life size? Must be pretty heavy......

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Olevern View Post

Just kidding, congrats,

vern
    I deserved that. Just yesterday a buddy e-mailed me a pic of his neighbor with a huge buck. The message, "I've been watching this deer all fall. At 4 AM on Thanksgiving morning he was in my garden eating leftover veggies. I got pics on my trail cam. At 11:00 he was shot by my neighbor in his bed. I'm sick over it."

My reply? What the heck was he doing in your neighbor's bed at 11:00 AM on Thanksgiving day?

I got a two word reply. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Well here is game cam pic of a deer 100 yards from my back door. Look at the scrape around his feet!
    I am looking for a nice doe.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine