Titan ReloadingMCD ProductsRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee 1oz slug mold throws heavy?

Lee 1oz slug mold throws heavy?

I've had this mold sitting NIB for about a year or so waiting to shoot up some other lee's that were given to me. Mold is supposed to throw a 1oz slug but mine is throwing them 450gr + now thats only 13+ gr over 1 oz sooo I'm gonna just guess that this isn't going to be a problem when loading for it.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Mold
    Any mold will vary a few grains one way or the other depending on what alloy you are casting with. When Mold makers list a given designs weight they are basing that on using a certain alloy.

-George

Boolit Grand Master

No problemo, don't worry be happy.
    Charter Member #148

I ran off a couple hundred Saturday and the metal left in the pot was isotope, but there wasn't much in there so i used it up first and the slugs weighed 430 grns. I then filled the pot with sheet lead and old recovered bullets ranging from WW to linotype and they weighed 447 grns. I can't remember what weight i was getting with pure lead, but using pure was my intention when i went out to the shed...just didn't turn out that way.

Boolit Buddy
    My Lee 1oz was 452.5gr with pure (plumbing pipe) lead. I had some made with WW but melted them and went with pure so I can't weigh.

Just for edification the lead was mostly pure lead with some unknown lead tossed in as I was just casting buckshot and wanted to see how the mold did. I'll try it when I do a run of only pure lead and see how it drops. Havn't loaded any of these yet anybody pushing these really fast? like 1500fps+?
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Mine also weigh 450 grs. The alloy is reclaimed #2 gallery shot. It's an outstanding mold and slug. My est. V = 1200 fps.
    Last edited by Junior1942; 11-30-2011 at 09:50 AM.

anybody pushing these really fast? like 1500fps+?
    I loaded a few several years ago with PV's of 1690 fps and i tried a few other fast loadings using different powders. I found the recoil to be too much for my liking so i never really did any accuracy tests with them. I am now working on loads using target powders and lower velocities in the range of Junior1942's est. velocity.

Boolit Master

Yea, I've tried the Bluedot load listed for it, 1690 fps freaking hurts lol. They did shoot about 4" higher at 25 yards than did my 1200 fps loads.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I figure 40 yds as the max possible shot and 20 yds as the most likely shot, so 1200 fps is fine for me.

Boolit Grand Master

35 grs of Herco does about 1450 fps, enough for most things that need killing.
    Charter Member #148

Mine have always thrown heavy, never worried about it as long as they are sorted for consistency. 36gr of HS6 is my load. gets about 1450fps. Never had one stop in any of the bears, hogs, dozens of deer, or coyotes I've shot with it.
    They can take my guns when they get past my IED's.

Got a few loaded up and even roll crimped a few. Got to the range and found I had left the chrono on the table at home. Slugs are prolly going about 1200 though, I'll try to chrono tomorrow but I have a test to study for. No problem roll crimping these, I was pleased as I did not want to grab a buckshot round which I star crimp and get a slug, I was after a physical difference in the hull when I sought to load slugs, High brass and Roll crimp is what I ended up with.
    My firearms project blog