Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Encore Finger?

Boolit Mold
    Its been a while since this post had any action but i went to the range today with my 45-70 encore and i bloodied my trigger finger like above. This is normal anytime i start shooting the warm and hot loads. At first i thought it was the trigger guard but this time i had blood stains on the gun to show me what was taking a bite out of me. It looks like its actually the bottom of the action in line with the trigger that is doing it. At first it will form a blood blister then it will pop it. Im assuming this is more common with the medium to smaller hands (i have short fat hands) since a bigger paw lets your finger stay away from the edge that bites. The thumbhole stock seem s to keep my hand a bit further away so i swapped the recoil pad off the prohunter stock to it and ill see how that works. Ill also bring a glove with me next time so my bench doesn't look like a murder scene again...

Boolit Master
    Someone please show me where T/C keeps a record of "rifle" frames or "pistol" frames. I purchased my frame brand-new "naked" with no barrel and no furniture. It started life as a 12" .454 Casull barrel. The entire point of the T/C switch-barrel frame systems is to switch barrels and furniture, rifle or pistol, and if you contact T/C they will tell you to go ahead and swap as you please.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Master
    Oh, and in regard to the OP - I purchased custom grips from Denzel Roberts to tame the recoil of the .454 Casull with heavy boolits. I have never fired an Encore with factory grips and even with 320 gr. cast boolits at 1700 fps my fingers have never been damaged while firing the Encore. You might look into Denzel's grips. http://dwrobtcwoodnmor.tripod.com/ I have no vested interest in his work, I'm just a happy customer.

Boolit Grand Master

The atf released a letter in July 2011 addressing the issue of going from pistol to rifle and back again.
    I could not copy it but if you go the atf website and google Contender it should come up.

Boolit Master
    Thanks leadman - all of the debates and info I've seen were prior to that date. I'll check it out.

Boolit Master
    Okay, so, does T/C register frames as originally "rifle" or originally "pistol"? Would my "naked" frame be ambiguous, or defined by the first barrel placed on it, the .454 Casull barrel? Otherwise the ruling has upheld the versatility of the T/C Contender and Encore systems to swap between pistol and rifle, as long as you're not an idiot and don't put the buttstock on when you have your 15" pistol barrel attached.

Boolit Master
    Conclusion of ruling from: http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulin...ing-2011-4.pdf

Therefore, so long as a parts kit or collection of parts is not used to make a firearm regulated under the NFA (e.g., a short-barreled rifle or “any other weapon” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(e)), no NFA firearm is made when the same parts are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length). Merely assembling and disassembling such a rifle does not result in the making of a new weapon; rather, it is the same rifle in a knockdown condition (i.e., complete as to all component parts). Likewise, because it is the same weapon when reconfigured as a pistol, no “weapon made from a rifle” subject to the NFA has been made.
    Nonetheless, if a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length is assembled or otherwise produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle, such a weapon is a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4). Such a weapon would not be a “pistol” because the weapon was not originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile by one hand.
    Held, a firearm, as defined by the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), is made when unassembled parts are placed in close proximity in such a way that they:
    (a) Serve no useful purpose other than to make a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and barrel of less than 16 inches in length); or
    (b) Convert a complete weapon into such an NFA firearm, including –
    (1) A pistol and attachable shoulder stock; and
    - 4 -
    (2) A rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and an attachable barrel of less than 16 inches in length.
    Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA.
    Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length).
    Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).
    Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle. Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA.
    To the extent this ruling may be inconsistent with any prior letter rulings, they are hereby superseded.
    Date approved: July 25, 2011
    Kenneth E. Melson
    Acting Director