Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: 35 Rem brass

35 Rem brass

A couple of months ago I acquired a Marlin 336SC in 35 Rem. Made in 1952 and in very nice shape. I was very excited to get it, I'd been looking for a clean 35 Rem for a long time. Since then I've been collecting all the items I need to shoot and reload it. I've been noticing that new 35 Remington brass is scarce and hard to locate to buy. ANY brass for 35 Rem is hard to find new or used for that matter. What's up with that, I'm surprised at this and I don't really understand why, it seems like 35 Rem owners and shooters are pretty common on the forums. I didn't think this cartridge was that rare...

Boolit Mold
    Skook,
    From what I can tell, Remington & Winchester have put the 35 Remington ammo and brass on the " seasonal run" list. They only make so much of it once a year & when it's gone, IT'S GONE! This brass shows up in the trade area from time to time.

Scott

I just checked Midway USA and Winchester 35 brass is available. While most data is available for Rem, WW should be good brass. I have gotten my brass shooting up factory cartridges. Unlike my 38-55 which took a while to get Starline brass, the same for my 32-20, the 35 cartridges in my area are farily reasonable and available at some hardware stores. My Rem Corelocks cost something like $22.00 for a loaded box. I will be getting more loadable brass when I sight in my scope instead of the Red Dot. Sometimes just shooting facotries for a bit makes sense as the Corelock factory load is far from a poor one.

DP

Boolit Grand Master
    Its not that the caliber is rare, but it definitely isn't as common as .30-30. I found my brass at Cabela's, on sale. It was cheaper to buy a bag of Remington brass than to buy two boxes of factory loads at $26.99 each.

Robert

Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned that Midway was the ONLY place I'd been successful buying this brass, Winchester at that. I'd rather have Remington brass but as you all know, it's not available. I know it's a seasonal run for Rem brass, I'm curious WHAT season? LOL. Must not be hunting season. No matter, I have bought all the Win brass I needed plus some more for just in case....I never find it for sale again. I have the Marlin all decked out with aperature sights, I plan to shoot this 35 Rem a LOT. Speaking of shooting, I picked up the Ranch Dog 360-190 RF 6 banger mould. I tip my hat to RD, this mould cast excellent boolits. I plan to use this boolit for hunting deer and possibly black bear. does anyone have a recommendation for a mould for a plinker boolit for the Marlin?

Boolit Grand Master

Nice thing is that the cartridge isn't terribly hard on brass, no problem going 5-6 loadings.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    5 or 6 reloadings? Please. That won't even get you admission into the case longevity contest.

Using LVR powder and the 200 FTX bullet loaded to 2220 fps from a 20 inch barrel, I've reloaded a single case repeatedly to see how long it would take before it gave out. I'm up to 42 reloadings, and it's not yet ready for its second trimming. Based on that, case life should be around 65 loadings and that's long, long before a case separation would occur, which would probably be at least 20 to 30 reloadings beyond that.

A plinker bullet?

Well, any pistol bullet that casts on the largish side. My 2003 336 will accept up to a .362" bullet and still freely chamber, so an old lyman 358495 wadcutter mould and an older 358311 roundnose, both of which cast .362" are simply tumble lubed and shot over about 4.8 grains Bullseye for 1050 fps and 1.5" three shot groups at 50 yards. Just subsonic and reasonably quiet.

No gaschecks to drive up the price, good thump on small game, and adequate accuracy.

Also look into the RCBS 200 FN. Great bullet.

If you don't mind the cost of gaschecks, the RD bullet is a great plinker too, and does better than the plainbase if the throttle is pushed forward a bit.

Boolit Grand Master

5 or 6 reloadings? Please. That won't even get you admission into the case longevity contest.-35remington

Sorry, doing the best I can. Just got the 336 last year and other 35 Remmy is a T/C Contender that hasn't seen a lot of action over the past 20 yrs. Case trimmer still in the blister pack, matter of fact.
    Thanks for the load notes!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    the reason brass is hard to find is, most handloaders hoard up as much as they can. me included, for about two years i bought as much new, and used 35 Rem brass that i could afford. there may come a day that the 35 brass will be very hard to come by. factory 35 Rem ammo in my area is 26.99 a box. ouch!! so if you have a 35, your better of to reload for it.

Boolit Master
    Good to see 35 remington's post on the pistol bullets and his use of tumble lubing. Based on advice from Larry Gibson, I am shooting a 158 grainer at 0.5cc of Bullseye. The bullet is from a Lee mold, drops at 0.361" and is a flat nose. I have been pan lubing because of previous leading but the rounds I shot last Saturday did not lead and gave good accuracy in my opinion. I was testing the further reduced load for leading and fire 20 rounds at the same target. Except for a couple of rounds, the rest were in a 2"X 2" square at 50 yards. Now, to see if I get leading with tuble lubing. I think you will enjoy a pistol bullet for plinking.

Super Moderator

...............Six or seven years ago a buddy and I both had 35 Rems built on M1894 Brazilian small ring Mauser actions.

It's a very friendly cartridge to reload and cast works pretty much at jacketed velocities with it. At the time my pal said that he suggested we go together and get 500 cases as he'd heard that is was going to be discontinued. We did and each year I kept waiting for it to become unavailable. If it HAS been placed on the seasonal list, like the 32-40, then I'm glad now that we DID get that much brass

Here's some "Fun" loads. Cheap and no recoil. Fired at 50 yards, iron sights. Believe me that those full WC's with flat make a mess out of a ground squirrel!

Some "Bet your Bippy" business loads. Fired at 50 yards, iron sights. Four loads with 35 Rem using Saeco 200 gr #356 cast boolit and WC846. 39.0 = 2140, 40.0 = 2271, 40.5 = 2272, 41.0 = 2334

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Skoot

pm me an address I have some you can have maybe 40 pcs or so. I do not load for a 35. I do think it is all remington
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA