RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belling 30-30 case mouths?

Boolit Man

Belling 30-30 case mouths?

I just got done working up some loads for my 30-30 marlin 336 with ranch dog 165 bullets and noticed that when i load them it shaves some of the tumble lube groves off the bullet. bullets are sized to .311 and case mouths a chanferd but not belled like my 45 auto cases . so my question, is this ok and if not what do you guys do different??

i settled on 31.5 gr of ramshot tac as it gave a 2.3" group @50 yards with factory iron sites,, i worked from 30- 32.5 gr in .5 gr increments. and had very little lead on the patch when i stuck it through dry.

Boolit Master

I think you should put just enough of a bell to start the boolit....I load for the 30-30 and have found it necessary to do so..I usually bell just enough to start the boolit gas check

Boolit Man
    Get a Lyman M die. That will fix it.

Boolit Master

#2 for Lyman M die. Learn how to set it and use it. Then wonder why you didn't use one all along.

Boolit Grand Master
    While the Lyman M die (or custom copies) are the best way, there are other ways to bell the case mouth. Also check the dimensions, I believe you will have better luck with the .31 cal M die than the .30 caliber one.

You can use a set of needle nose pliers to slightly expaed the mouth with a gentle twist.

I have used the expander botton from a larger caliber resizing die.

The expander plug from a set of RCBS .30 Carbine dies will bell most cases from .30 cal to .45 Colt. This is what I use most often, until I can get the proper M die.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Another vote for Lyman's M-die with a 31R expander plug.

For what it's worth, you can bell the mouth just as much as the chamber will allow it to enter and that can be quite a bit. Not good for the brass, though. And not necessary! Now I seat pretty tight fitting paper patched boolits with only the chamfer. Perhaps you are sizing too small for the boolit?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzer View Post
    Get a Lyman M die. That will fix it.
    RCBS also makes a case mouth expander die.

John C. Saubak

Boolit Master
    I bell the mouths of my 30-30 just enough so that no lead is shaved. I use a tool called a marlin spike used by sailors to splice ropes and line. This toll does just a little more than smooth out the mouth of the case. You can't even see any belling. I also use it for my 223, 6mm, 7mm, and 338 cases. It makes loading cast boolits smooth and easy without removing any metal from the case.

Boolit Master

I have a dillon 550 and I had to by an m1 carbine powder die. Puts as much or as little bell as needed. Works great.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Any tapered object can be used to bell the mouth just enough to seat the boolit without shaving. If you use something other than a die that has a constant setting (such as a center punch or closed needle nose) you should put a piece of tape on it so it is inserted to the same point each time. Then crimp to remove the bell.

Boolit Grand Master

M dies work great, BUT, I got rid of mine for all cals some time ago and went to the Lee tool which works from 22 up thru 45 great.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

The lee tool is great as long as your expander ball is big enough to expand the neck so that the boolit is not sized down when seating. Most dies are set up for jacketed bullets and are too tight for cast, in my experience. The M die makes up for this deficiency.

In Remembrance

I use the Lee collet neck sizing die and only size enough to firmly hold the boolit. I still use the Lee universal neck flaring die and chamfer case mouths to allow as gentle insertion of the boolit into the case as possible.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for M-die.

I load currently 3 different 30 caliber guns. I expect that number to grow.

The lee tool would be handy for the occasional calibers, but I figure everyone shooting cast in a rifle oughtta have a Lyman 30 caliber M die.

Banned
    I use the lyman m die with no problems. 31141 gc is the boolit that I load for my two 30-30s. I size just enought that I can seat the boolit with no damage. My single shot will put them in 3/4 inch group at 100.

Boolit Master

Another M die user. Just got a .31 plug from Lyman to try.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Another vote for Lyman's M-die with a 31R expander plug.
    I have a 9mm Lyman M die, but will be loading 30-30 soon, so your plug comment caught my attention.

31R or 31S? This thread made me more confused then when I started.

If it matters, I'm planning on using the RCBS X Dies for sizing and seating.

Edit: On a re-read, it appears the longer 31R die is more flexible than the shorter 31S because the die can always be backed out, but it can only be screwed in so far. I think I got that right. Time to go to bed...
    Last edited by Dannix; 11-24-2011 at 02:24 AM.

Boolit Master

Lyman M die.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    Dannix,
    I've found that the longer M2 die body is very versatile. It, along with a 31R expander plug (the 30R plug is too skinny for cast boolits) can be adjusted from .30-30 to at least .30-'06 case lengths.

I don't own anything in 9mm, but for cast boolits, you may want to look into using the fatter 38P expander plug, rather than the skinnier 38AP.

Individual plugs are available from Lyman for a bit over $4.