RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WW: yield per 5 gallon bucket

Boolit Buddy
    Guys, just be careful that you don't cross into FFL 06 territory when trying to help out a source.

Lot's of gray area when interpreting the tangible meaning of value and profit.

I think it's a great idea, in theory, it works for everyone, but when in the situation to prove intent and action, the benefit of common sense, genuine intent and intended meaning can be distorted so much it doesn't even remotely resemble the facts.

I'm not saying don't take care of your source, just make sure you cover your six and know and play by the rules.

No use in being a career move for anyone looking for a little publicity or promotion.

I take care of my sources with cash, trades of non gun related things or quid pro quo work. I absolutely *never* trade loaded/assembled ammo for *anything* of value - perceived or real - period.

A local fellow that did a little light gunsmith work from time to time and reloaded, swapped a case of reloads for a drill press and an air compressor and ended up with three years of absolute hell on his hands for doing so.

It seems a KB supposedly occured with one of his loads. The shooter sued and on top of all that hassle, the guy got absolutely shredded by the BATFE for delivering ammo he loaded without an FFL 06 in return for something of value.

A horrible experience to say the least.
    ________
    Washington Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
    Last edited by BigSlick; 05-03-2011 at 09:11 AM.

OK, i'm thinking a lttle cash and a 12 of Bud again.....

Boolit Master

Don't over look sail boat keels. They are made of some hard lead alloys..Also check with telephone co.s they also have chunks of lead sometimes. One keel off a good size sail boat could be a life time supply of lead for many people.

Boolit Master
    how would you cut up a sailboat keel? to thick for a ax, to much torch time. clogs up a saw blade.

I hear a chain saw works quite well. Never had the need to try it, yet.

R.M.

Boolit Master

I ran across an article a couple of years ago where a sailboat builder was collecting WW to make his own ballast for the keel. Remember thinking "what a waste of WW.

the guys I typically get the used WW's from are not the owners, they're just the guy's bustin' butt to make a couple bucks. It is legal here to give away reloads (At least that's what an attorney friend that I shoot with tells me) I guess that I should look into it a little closer.
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sundogg1911 View Post
    the guys I typically get the used WW's from are not the owners, they're just the guy's bustin' butt to make a couple bucks. It is legal here to give away reloads (At least that's what an attorney friend that I shoot with tells me) I guess that I should look into it a little closer.

Since you receive WW in exchange, you are no longer giving the reloads away. You can confirm that with your lawyer friend.

Boolit Buddy
    For those of you who hand pick through their buckets of weights and are concerned about razor blades and such mixed in, I have found one of those three tined hand garden cultivators very effective for handling the weights without threat of injury.
    Lost in Penn's Woods.

Quote Originally Posted by 686 View Post
    how would you cut up a sailboat keel? to thick for a ax, to much torch time. clogs up a saw blade.
    Cut it up?

http://"http://www.glocktalk.com/sho...hreadid=629923

Boolit Buddy
    http://208.67.249.199/showthread.php...=&pagenumber=1

Fixed the link for ya Cohutt

That's me and my good friend Lonnie melting out a sailboat keel.

Definitely an experience.

Not the best source of lead in the world with all the associated hassle, but definitely educational and something you (I) don't get to do every day.

'Slick
    ________
    Uhwh warehouse
    Last edited by BigSlick; 05-03-2011 at 09:15 AM.

I just got some buckets from the tire store. No charge, but they weren't the 5 gallon type, they were more of a square shape. I would guess maybe they are about 31/2 or 4 gallon size. Well, I know that pouring into my muffin pan and leaving about 1/4 inch below the top gives me a muffin of WW lead that weighs real close to 5 lbs. Using my own unscientific formula and carrying the two and adding 16, that I got 75 lbs + plus one half muffin out of the bucket. Take it from there.
    Yer pard,
    Howdy

actually I drop off the 38's as a gift after casting and loading. the next time I'm in the area in the truck, they give me used WW's. It's really not in payment. they we're giving me used WW's before I ever started doing that. it's just a thank you gift. So according to my Attorney buddy, this is fine. It's not a "You trade me these, I'll trade you these" kinda thing.
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    http://208.67.249.199/showthread.php...=&pagenumber=1

Fixed the link for ya Cohutt

That's me and my good friend Lonnie melting out a sailboat keel.

Definitely an experience.

Not the best source of lead in the world with all the associated hassle, but definitely educational and something you (I) don't get to do every day.

'Slick
    Thanks Slick, the new IE7 security settings screw up script windows when trying to post links and pics. One day i'll fix it but until then i will continue to f-up links in boolit forums.

Glad you didn't mind getting outed for crippling that poor sailboat you found in unguarded drydock. Quite an engineering feat - (reminds me of the time in college we tried to burn a sofa in a fireplace by sticking the end in with the idea we'd keeep pushing it in as it burned up. ha. the fire came out on the sofa faster than the sofa end burnt up, Imagine that. I think jack daniels was the special engineering assitant on that disaster. )

For years I worked as a saleman for a mining and industrial supply company. Among my customers was a trucking company. Always on the lookout for WW and scrap lead I soon made friends with the tire and wheel maintenance supervisor. In exchange for hats, belt buckles and the occasional sleeve of golf balls I gained access to the wheel weight storage area. First time I couldn't believe it, wheel weights that seemed the size of hot dogs, some I'm sure were like bananas. I became dizzy, my knees buckled, stuttering I packed these Boone and Crocket sized wonders to my company explorer untill I thought the tires would burst. They shipped all their used wheel weights back to the supplier about once a year, and not standing the thought of this mother lode being hauled away, that truck shop soon became a weekly cusotmer, each time leaving with as much weight as I dared. It took weeks on end of smelting. When it was done I had over 1600 lbs of ingots. I soon grew tired of the 1lb ingot and the muffin tins and graduated to bread loaf pan etc, that would still fit in my lead pot. Soon other perils became apparent. I stacked the ingots against the wall of my shop. Not understanding engineering, physics, etc the stack of various sized and shaped ingots exceeded the lateral thrust resistance of my shop wall and sometime during the night, the wall gave way dumping my prized possessions into my wife's flower bed. Hint, production should not exceed storage capablities.
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Boolit Master
    Quite a story 44WCF!!!

Anyhow I'm a newbie caster, don't have years of scounging under my belt and spent the last year striking out mostly while looking for lead here and there. Finally I broke down and approached my local recycler who's been getting them to me for between 15-20 cents a pound. After all the time and gas I spent looking for free or $5-10 dollar buckets I think I've figured out what to do: try to save money on primers, brass and powder!