Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky
Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by metweezer View Post
    I bought a pot from the thrift store but once the stuff cooled it solidified and is not liquid at all. It is very hard and won't pour. Did I get my ratio screwed up? I cooked the JPW for 20 min on a presto grill at 350 degrees.
    I add a small amount of mineral spirits to mine as it warms back up. I want to find a tiny crock pot to just keep the stuff in like Ranch Dog shows on his website. Right now I have a small stainless steel bowl that I reheat over a warming plate. I just dip lubed a bunch of RD's 165gr .310's yesterday afternoon. The remains are scraped off the wax paper and go right back into the bowl. Works pretty darn good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    I add a small amount of mineral spirits to mine as it warms back up. I want to find a tiny crock pot to just keep the stuff in like Ranch Dog shows on his website. Right now I have a small stainless steel bowl that I reheat over a warming plate. I just dip lubed a bunch of RD's 165gr .310's yesterday afternoon. The remains are scraped off the wax paper and go right back into the bowl. Works pretty darn good.
    If you have a "Fred's Discount Dollar" near you I scooped out a small one for $10.00. It actually had a three position thermostat too.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I put my 45/45/10 turpentine mix in an old ketchup squeeze bottle....a nickle purchase from the thrift store. Yes, the mixture got very stiff at room temps, but placing the container in a butter tub of hot (faucet) water turned it back to liquid in minutes. Then I just do Recluse's Z squirt and lube away....

I just checked my boolits (sitting overnight)....still a tiny bit sticky, some actually have liquid lube, so turpentine is waaayyy too slow.

Boolit Master

I've just about used up the little batch I made 6 (?) months ago. It's in a Lee LLA bottle and I have to heat it up to use it. I think next time I'll store the lube in a half-pint fruit jar, and just spoon a little out onto the warm-almost-hot boolits before I slosh them around to coat.

I Really Messed Up This Time

OK so I just made up a new, larger batch and it came out just the opposite. It is staying as a very loose liquid. It is at room temperature and I must have screwed up somewhere. I have it outside drying on some freshly coated boolits. I'll check it out in 2-3 hours to see if it is drying. I doubt it though because it is a liquid in the bottle and I don't see it hardening on the boolits.

I think I used too much JPW or maybe too little mineral spirits. I find it hard to measure the ingredients as whatever cup or bowl I use to measure seems to be coated with the stuff forever so I try to keep my measuring to a minimum. Perhaps someone who has been tinkering around with Recluse's formula can tell me why this batch turned out so watery.
    Thanks, Steve
    The Navy SEALS removed one Muslim threat to America.
    It's up to the voters to remove another.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Perhaps someone who has been tinkering around with Recluse's formula can tell me why this batch turned out so watery.
    Sounds to me like too much mineral spirits or you didn't cook it down enough. Put it back on the heat for a little while and see if you can drive off a little more liquid.

Boolit Buddy

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
    I've just about used up the little batch I made 6 (?) months ago. It's in a Lee LLA bottle and I have to heat it up to use it. I think next time I'll store the lube in a half-pint fruit jar, and just spoon a little out onto the warm-almost-hot boolits before I slosh them around to coat.
    The jar, lid and spoon works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by edler7 View Post
    Sounds to me like too much mineral spirits or you didn't cook it down enough. Put it back on the heat for a little while and see if you can drive off a little more liquid.
    I cooked it for over 15 minutes on my presto grill (at 350 degrees) and I didn't think that I used too much mineral spirits at all. I actually thought I used too little and/or too much JPW.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    The JPW has mineral spirits in it for a solvent. It needs to be cooked out to leave just the waxes/oils.

I never could figure out why you have to cook it out and then add it back in, but why argue with something that works ?

Quote Originally Posted by edler7 View Post
    The JPW has mineral spirits in it for a solvent. It needs to be cooked out to leave just the waxes/oils.

I never could figure out why you have to cook it out and then add it back in, but why argue with something that works ?
    So are you saying that I can still save this by cooking it off some more even though all the ingredients have already been mixed in?
    Last edited by metweezer; 11-02-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Boolit Master

So are you saying that I can still save this by cooking it off some more even though all the ingredients have already been mixed in?
    If I can turn mine from almost like brown candle wax in a small steel cup back into usable dipping lube each time by warming and slowly adding mineral spirit then you can do the same thing. If someone already said 350 degrees, then so be it, but I just use a warmer and it does the trick.

As you can see, some of them aren't perfect, but the first batch shot pretty darn good. They even did pretty good with the Trail Boss loads I tried. Those were fun despite my dislike of measuring out the Trail Boss donuts...

What I do is use a Coffee Cup with some water in it and put it in the microwave to get the water hot about a Min and then I put the Alox mix in a small fruit cup. You can get them in packages and just set that inside of the coffee cup in the water. It will keep it warm enough and long enough to do a couple of hundred BOOLITS at a time.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

In Remembrance
    Yep, should be able to.

I've found the secret is to make small batches, as in six/eight ounces or less. That means just a small dallop of JPW and then add the LLA to it.

Without fail, anytime I've tried to make large batches, I've had to cook the living hell out of the JPW.

When I first started making this, I would squeeze out about half a bottle of the Lee Liquid Alox (which is around two ounces, I believe), set it aside, then melt, cook a like amount of JPW.

I don't know if I'm cooking it at 350F--that's just what the dial on my Sunbeam griddle says. Could be hotter, could be cooler. What I aim for is faint, steady wisps of smoke coming out of the pan. I let it cook and stir it every minute or so for fifteen to twenty minutes, then turn the heat down and add the remaining alox and continuously stir. I then added about a bottle cap worth of mineral spirits, and stirred it while I turned the heat complete off.

When the concoction had cooled enough to where I could safely pour it into the (now) empty LLA bottle, out came the Dollar Store funnels and in went the mix. I capped it and then put it on the shelf for a day or so. When I came back, it had become pretty thick and sludgy--kind of like peanut butter.

You can heat it up any number of ways--I used a heat gun (but be careful not to melt the bottle) and shake quite frequently.

Small batches work best for me. A four-ounce bottle of 45/45/10 will do a LOT of boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Yep, should be able to.

I've found the secret is to make small batches, as in six/eight ounces or less. That means just a small dallop of JPW and then add the LLA to it.

Without fail, anytime I've tried to make large batches, I've had to cook the living hell out of the JPW.

When I first started making this, I would squeeze out about half a bottle of the Lee Liquid Alox (which is around two ounces, I believe), set it aside, then melt, cook a like amount of JPW.

I don't know if I'm cooking it at 350F--that's just what the dial on my Sunbeam griddle says. Could be hotter, could be cooler. What I aim for is faint, steady wisps of smoke coming out of the pan. I let it cook and stir it every minute or so for fifteen to twenty minutes, then turn the heat down and add the remaining alox and continuously stir. I then added about a bottle cap worth of mineral spirits, and stirred it while I turned the heat complete off.

When the concoction had cooled enough to where I could safely pour it into the (now) empty LLA bottle, out came the Dollar Store funnels and in went the mix. I capped it and then put it on the shelf for a day or so. When I came back, it had become pretty thick and sludgy--kind of like peanut butter.

You can heat it up any number of ways--I used a heat gun (but be careful not to melt the bottle) and shake quite frequently.

Small batches work best for me. A four-ounce bottle of 45/45/10 will do a LOT of boolits.

Here is what I just did. I poured my liquid mix back into a pot and placed it on my presto grill for 25 minutes this time (at 350) and I am waiting for it to cool. Hopefully when it has cooled it will be more of a solid rather than a liquid. I'll let you know. Thanks to all for the help. BTW it seems that there is more than one way to get from here to there.

Boolit Master

Found a tin of TREWAX, can I use the same recipie?
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    If I can turn mine from almost like brown candle wax in a small steel cup back into usable dipping lube each time by warming and slowly adding mineral spirit then you can do the same thing. If someone already said 350 degrees, then so be it, but I just use a warmer and it does the trick.

As you can see, some of them aren't perfect, but the first batch shot pretty darn good. They even did pretty good with the Trail Boss loads I tried. Those were fun despite my dislike of measuring out the Trail Boss donuts...
    Hey Bob, When did you stop tumble lubing and start dipping?

Well it took almost 24 hours but my lube has hardened to the point that it won't pour, and that's a good thing. It's like Jello. Thanks for all the help.
    Steve

Well it took almost 24 hours but my lube has hardened to the point that it won't pour, and that's a good thing. It's like Jello. Thanks for all the help.
    Steve
    When my stuff gets to that consistency, I usually have to heat and add more mineral spirits to get it to pour out of a squeeze bottle. I have to tweak it every time I use it to get the right consistency, cause after it cools it gets pretty stiff. Sometimes I can't see the stuff on the boolit but you can smell it on there and that is when you got it right. Then it has very little smoke when shot and no leading and an easy bore to clean out. It looks shiny after firing, if you use a clean burning powder.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by P.K. View Post
    Found a tin of TREWAX, can I use the same recipie?
    Works fine for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Made my first batch yesterday of 45/45/10 using the excellent instructions in this sticky. I found a one quart crock pot for 6.95 that works perfectly for this. It has three temp. settings, high, low and warm. I set it on high added the JPW and let it cook for about 20 mins. Then turned it down to warm and added the LLA. Once that was blended I turned the heat off and added the mineral spirits. After cooling some I used a funnel to bottle it in the empty LLA bottle, had some left over which I put in a jar. This morning the consistency seems to be about like syrup not to hard not too runny. Now I need to lube some boolits and see how they turn out.

Thanks for the great easy to follow instructions.