Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .25 Hornet Uberti Baby Rolling Block

.25 Hornet Uberti Baby Rolling Block

Have been away from this site for months. Lots going on including some health issues. However, I am back with a new project to share. My .25 Hornet project.
    The idea for this project started several years ago with an article in Handloader Magazine about a .25 Hornet in the Thompson Contender single shot pistol. My gunsmith and I talked this one over and decided it would be neat to have a rifle chambered in this cartridge. We were fascinated by the fact that this cartridge looks like a minature .45-90 or a scaled down .32-40. We started looking for a suitable action and decided to use the Uberti Baby Rolling block platform. This Baby Rolling block is a replica of the Remington #2 rolling block and is about 1/2 the size of the #1. This small action would make a perfect "buffalo gun" in minature using a minature "buffalo cartridge".
    We decided that the easiest conversion would be to acquire one in .22 Hornet and simply reline it with a .25 caliber liner from Brownells (these are Redman liners). We ordered a reamer from JGS reamers in Coos Bay, Oregon. We contacted CH4D for the dies. We sent CH4D the reamer drawing from JGS and viola we had two sets of .25 Hornet dies. These dies run around $85.00 delivered and are of excellent quality. The people at both JGS and CH4D were super to deal with!!
    Kept looking for a Uberti BRB on line (these are discontinued in .22 Hornet). Finally was the successful bidder on Gunbroker. The rifle arrived and my gunsmith immediately relined the barrel and chambered the liner in .25 Hornet. The Brownells liners are .250 bore and .257 Groove and have a 1-14" twist.
    I have a .25-20, so I have lots of cast bullets for this caliber ranging from around 67gr to 90gr. Bullets that I have are 257420, 257463, 257464, and 257312. From the onset only cast bullets were to be used in this rifle. I worked up and shot dozens of loads using the above cast bullets.
    As per the latest Speer reloading manual for the .22 Hornet, I used CCI 500 small pistol primers exclusively. These primers really smooth out the extreme spreads....making very uniform loads...with ESs running under 50fps.
    The very best all around powder is Hogdgdon's Lil'Gun. Six grains with bullets over 80gr (velocity around 1600fps). Six to seven grains for bullets around 75gr (velocity in the 1700fps range). Eight grains for the 257420 bullet. Pressures are mild.
    I just took a chance and bid on and got, at a very attractive price, 1000 257420 Hollow point bullets on Gunbroker. They were sized, gas checked and lubricated and appear to made from linotype!!! (Imagine the time it would take to cast these up using a single cavity HP mold!!!!). They weigh 67grains. With 8.0 grains of lil'gun they exit the muzzle at 1950fps with NO leading. They shoot less than 2" at 50 yards using the iron sights.
    With this kind of performance, I decided that I needed to have a better sighting system. So I ordered one of the 6x Malcolm scope replicas from Midway. It is 18" long. My gunsmith mounted it on the Baby Rolling Block and I was in business for some serious shooting. The 67gr HP bullet, with the 6x Malcolm, will shoot under 1" at 50yds!!
    I am planning on using it "buffalo (gopher) hunting" next spring on a nearby ranch where the gophers (ground squirrels) are overrunning the place.
    Will enclose some pics later.
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory

Pictures of the .25 Hornet

After some fiddling around I have the pictures of this project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pict0074.JPG   Pict0075.JPG   Pict0076.JPG   Pict0087.JPG  

Cool! I've had a thing for a .25 Hornet for years. Both in a revolver (S&W K frame) or a rifle (probly a Contender). I haven't started on this yet though. At present, I'm converting a Remungton 580 to 22 CCM. I have already made a S&W model 15 into a 22 CCM (only have to put .22 wrm barrel and cyl on model 15 frame). Where did you get your chambering reamer?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

leftiye,
    The reamer came from JGS tool and die in Coos Bay, Oregon. Their reamer works great. It is a straigth taper like the .32-40. CH4D made the dies based on the drawing from JGS. The dies create a .400 straight section from the case mouth, thus supporting even the longer 90gr cast bullets to thier base. If one looks at a .32-40 case before and after firing, the neck in the loaded round is parallel so as to hold the bullet. After firing the case is a straight taper.
    We have some cases that have been FL sized and fired more than a dozen times with no case loss.
    The best way to form cases is by fire forming. I use a small pistol primer and 5-6gr of Bullseye and a .22 caliber bullet in a standard .22 Hornet case. Cases fire form beautifully and are of the correct length and even require some trimming. WARNING!! Use only .22 cal bullets for the fire forming!!...otherwise dangerous pressures result!!!
    I have tried expanding the case mouth using a 6mm, and then a .25 cal expander. This causes the formed cases to be too short....Fire forming is by far the best, giving a case that is the correct length.
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory

Boolit Buddy
    But I am wondering why the 25 hornet instead of just using your 25-20 if I may be so bold to ask??? In a bolt gun or a quality single shot, like you are building, the 25-20 will out do the 25 hornet.

T-o-m
    Last edited by Old Goat Keeper; 10-31-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat Keeper View Post
    But I am wondering why teh 25 honet instead of just using your 25-20 if I may be so bold to ask??? In a bolt gur or a quality single shot, like you are buildidng, the 25-20 will out do the 25 hornet.

T-o-m
    Because he can !
    Last edited by uscra112; 10-29-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Keeper,
    Yes, I could have made this a .25-20 WCF. However, I already have a real cute Aussie Cadet Martini in .25-20. The Martini has been reworked to look like a small British Rook Rifle.
    The .25 Hornet project was created to come at things from a different direction...and as 112 said..because we could.
    Actually, with cast boolits, the .25 Hornet shoots better and appears to be more efficient ....
    Am enclosing a pic of the Martini....hope it uploaded OK.
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory

Boolit Master

Wink

Loaded round looks like a baby 38-55. I'm going to watch this one, always interested in something new for a single shot. Wonder if a hornet case will go up to 6.5? May have to find out.

Nice rifle, should be good for sabertooth PD's.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Mike,
    The .22 Hornet case can be opened up to 6.5mm. The .270 REN is the Hornet case necked up to .270 and used in the Thompson Center single shot (and others I am sure).
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory

Boolit Master

Smile

Good call, I forgot about the 270 REN. Have you had a chance to try yours in the field yet ? Just what I need, another caliber to work with, lol.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Mike,
    Yeah....Got the same problem...more interesting projects than I have time to shoot.
    The only thing that I have shot with this rifle are some of the pesky red squirrels here in forested Montana. They are always trying to chew into the soffit vents on my shop and house. The .25 Hornet dispatches them nicely....not really a challenge...most shots are 25yds or less.
    The real test will be next spring when the ground sqirrels are coming out of hibernation....we have a zillion on them and I hope to do my share.
    In one area on the ranch that I hunt them, I have dispached over 1000 this spring and summer using a Ruger 10/22 med barrel, my .22 Hornet, K-Hornet, .222 and .223.
    The last several years, I have also made an annual trek to Eastern Montana to hunt prairie dogs. The trip this year was marred by lots of rain and gumbo mud....but I was able to dispatch 350-400 of the little devils. Getting a number of prairie dogs with the .25 Hornet would be a sure enough challenge!! PD shots usually range from 75 yds to as far as one can thinks they can shoot.
    Good shooting,
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory

I like the idea of using the 25 Hornet in that rifle. I had one back in the 90's in 25/20 Win. As I worked the load up, the breech block started to spring and stretched the case heads.

Frank

Boolit Master
    Bearmn56, have you had any issues keeping that lace-on cheek rest in one place? I have one on my roller and it doesn't like to hold still.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Snover,
    I must confess...I cheated. I took a very small nail and trimmed it to about 1/2" and put it thru the bottom wrap (on the bottom of the buttstock between the laceing) on the lace on cheek piece. This little nail will hold the cheekpiece from moving nicely. When carefully removed, when removing the leather lace on cheekpiece, the small hole can easily and invisibly filled in.
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory

bearmn.
    Great post I have a 25-10 Halstad and whant to get it cut to 25 Hornet. Just makes brass a whole lot easier. Not machining it any more.

Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Master
    Thanks. I may just have to do that.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master
    This looks like another one of those "someday" rounds, plus I like #2 Rolling Blocks. Maybe after I get done playing with the Husqvarna in .25-20......

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
    I like the idea of using the 25 Hornet in that rifle. I had one back in the 90's in 25/20 Win. As I worked the load up, the breech block started to spring and stretched the case heads.

Frank
    Yep, you don't want to push the envelope with a RB. It is really ugly when they let go!
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Just want to remind everyone that the #2 Rolling block used in this project is a replica made by Uberti. These actions are made of modern steel, properly heat treated and are made to close tolerances. For example...this rifle's hammer/sear is extremely hard and required some judicious use of a hard stone to make the trigger pull 4#. This particular rifle was originally chambered in .22 Hornet....factory pressures in the 45,000 psi range. In short, these rifles are plenty tough to stand most any rimmed cartridge that would fit this action.
    Also, remember that this same action is now factory chambered in .30-30, .38-55 and .45-70....with no problems (However, I would consider any rifle under 5 pounds chambered in the .45-70 to be a PROBLEM!! especially with some of the heavier loads )
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory

bearmn56,

What a great read and project. You sir, are what I want to be when I grow up. I hope to see some pictures this spring of the red squirrel hunts. Thanks for taking the time to post your build.

Eric