Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 1894 being returned!

I currently have a Model 39M, a stainless steel bolt action in .17HMR, .444P Outfitter, .450 Marlin and an 1894 in .44 Magnum. All were from the original Marlin factory. I love them all. The quality control issues on the newer ones are going to drive the prices up on the used marlins. I am kicking myself every day for not buying an 1894 in .357 magnum before I got financially strapped.

Mr. Garcia I hope the customer service folks at remlin get your gun fixed to your satisfaction.
    Last edited by Leadforbrains; 10-05-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I bought a new 1894C just prior to Marlin shutting the old plant down, and I think it very good. I guess that I was lucky.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    Thanks guys for all the support!
    Maybe here in the future it will be returned with the problems corrected.
    Till then, If I decide to go hunting, I am going to break out my Great-Grandfathers 1886 Winchester. It has never failed me and turns 120 years old next year!!

Tom

Well it's been just over two weeks since my REMLIN was signed for at the NY shop.
    Going to call them later today and find out where it stands and what are they going to do about fixing it.

Will let you all know later.

Tom

"The biggest expense in most companies is labor. That's where they start. They get rid of the highest paid front line employee as well as supervisor and manager. These are the people that ensure quality to customers. I assure you they do not cut director, vp, or any executive positions."

This is the most often quoted rumor in the country today, and in most cases it just isn't true. Gun companies, for example, will pay more for product liability than for all the other costs in producing the product. One American company, Airiens thought they would save money by outsourcing some spindle assemblies to China. They did, but had a lot of rework so they looked at the real problems in house, and saved even more by doing it right with Americal labor. ( This was written up in "Modern Machine Shop" some years ago.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    It's not just "Remlins", Marlin QC was pretty lame the last couple years before the switch. Two friends bought Marlins in that time frame an 1894 .357 and a 39A. Right out of the box the 94 would not feed a number of factory .357's and had to be returned for a fix. The 39A had an 8 lb. trigger and an action full of burrs which scored internal parts. I cleaned up the 39A and did the trigger but that gun should have never left the factory.
    I agree totally! I love Marlin. I really feel that a little skuttlebutt coupled with REAL issues like Garcias can literally wreck a company for good. I do not want to come off as being on a pulpit here, but these are comparatively cheap guns and not Westley Richards drillings. If things can get messed up with guns that cost ten or twenty times the cost of a Marlin they surely could happen with a factory gun. I had a custom gun come to me one time with the buttstock broken like kindling wood. Who dun it?? I assume it was not shipped that way. Then when I get it repaired it has major fit and finish issues as it stood proud of the metal and did not match the forearm. This goes with the territory, I am sorry to say.

Hope they make the gun right.

PS, I am a firm hater of the 39A. They are all fairly pretty boat anchors to me. Not sure how it has remained such a popular gun. They made it worse with the attorney approved hammer. The only Marlin not worth a hoot.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master

PS, I am a firm hater of the 39A. They are all fairly pretty boat anchors to me. Not sure how it has remained such a popular gun. They made it worse with the attorney approved hammer. The only Marlin not worth a hoot.
    I totally agree with you on that. I think Henry is eating Marlins lunch in the .22 market with their levers.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

How does one find out the year of their Marlin? Is it imbedded in the serial numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Suo Gan View Post

Can't agree with you there. I've got a 39M, its was a basket case of a beat up and abused old truck gun when I got it.

After some elbow grease, replacing some broken and missing parts, and a good cleaning it's a sweet little rifle. It is a pre-safety model, that might have something to do with it.

Weapon was returned to me today.
    Barrel replaced and the chamber was chamfered.
    Forearm and stock stained and finished.

Remington made good on everything.

Hopefully I will be able to get to the range to launch a few!!!!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by GARCIA View Post
    Weapon was returned to me today.
    Barrel replaced and the chamber was chamfered.
    Forearm and stock stained and finished.

Remington made good on everything.

Hopefully I will be able to get to the range to launch a few!!!!

Tom

Thats good to hear! Maybe there is yet hope they'll get it together and soon we won't be afraid to buy a "Remlin" anymore.

1 month is a long time when your waiting but...... I am glad they took care of it. Let us know how it shoots.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    That is good news to read.. Maybe the Belguims are still honorable people.
    Mike in peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Belgians own CEREBRUS (or what ever it's called)?

Well better them than the Chinese!

Tom

Boolit Master
    i agree with fecmech a few post back, Marlin was even having trouble towards the end. a friend of mine does alot of work for CAS shooters, and the last couple of marlins he worked on were total ****. that was about 2006, after that he refused to work on any marlins, and stuck to '73 clones. but in the last 25yrs that i've been buying, handling, and shooting marlin's, they have had trouble for awhile. i know they are a working man's rifle, and cheap. but at least it needs to leave the factory right. i glad to hear they fixed you'r rifle, but it should'nt had been an issue in the first place. i hope REM can get the wheel strait before they run it into the ditch!

I am interested in an update on this and how it's shooting for you. Also, what profile of boolits does it like?

Boolit Master

I wonder if Marlin is watching this thread?
    At one with the gun.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I purchased an 1894c in the spring before the old plant was shut down. I must have gotten a good one because mine is no disappointment.

Hopefully, Remlin will get their act together and return to producing excellent quality LAs.

Weapon is shooting really good at this point.
    Ran 4 differant loads through it on Monday.
    One big hole at 25 yards.

One big problem has reared it's ugly head!!!!
    I can not get it to feed the Miha "Ruger Only" boolit.
    Pretty pissed off about that.
    It becomes a single shot with that bullet.

Oldest boy will be home and we plan on going shooting on Friday.
    Last time at the range, a guy was good enough to give me some really thick catalogs that he was using for penetration tests.
    Going to see what the "Penta" HP can do to them at 25 yards.

Tom

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder if Marlin is watching this thread? -BC

Hard to say. I know mfg reps monitor TFL and possibly other forums but they seldom, if ever, post. I've exhanged PM's with one mfg's rep who is ridiculed by his colleagues (from other mfgs) for posting. I'm willing to bet employees monitor the Marlin owners forum. They'd be silly not to monitor this one as well. But then again, it's not Marlin anymore. Not sure if a big corporation would be interested in grass-roots loyalty and support.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.