Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SKS stocks - what's good?

Here's a better one...

Boolit Master
    i was gona buy a Tapco stock, but i talked to a friend and he said they were good stocks. but the bad part is the hand grip is held on by two sheet metal screws, and you have to remove them everytime you need to remove the trigger group. so it don't take long and the the stock strips out and that's bad news. so i got a Ramline instead.

Boolit Master
    Just my opine, but after mucking with different syn stocks for SKS, have found nothing as good as the original wooden one that came with.

Boolit Master

My Tapco SKS stock is held on with one large, hex-head lag bolt type screw. I agree that Tapco should have made provision for removing the triggergroup without removing the grip.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    i was gona buy a Tapco stock, but i talked to a friend and he said they were good stocks. but the bad part is the hand grip is held on by two sheet metal screws, and you have to remove them everytime you need to remove the trigger group. so it don't take long and the the stock strips out and that's bad news. so i got a Ramline instead.
    How often are you taking out your trigger group on an sks?
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Grand Master
    I fooled around with a paratrooper version and have made a first class deer rifle. Ground off the bayonet lug, sanded the stock to a form of my liking, stained it dark and put on a set of Williams peep & front fire sights. Factory ammo gave only so-so accuracy but a little reloading magic and now it's a superb performer. I tried the 5 round mag and never got any reliability from it. One of the handiest and fastest rifles around. I would strongly suggest looking into the Williams sights. They use existing sight fixtures and are very easy to install. The universal comment I hear when I show my little workhorse to knowledgeable shooters is, "Wow."

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I received my sks w/an after market stock and the OM wood. I put the wood stock back on my Yugo its lighter by half and actually fits better. I did take a little off the top of the wrist.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    The synth. dragunov style stock lengthens the SKS and makes it feel less like a toy.
    Thanks Jon,
    added length of pull is one of the big reasons why I want to change to a synthetic stock in the first place.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by res45 View Post
    The drop free bolt modification requires you to remove the metal lip extensions from a standard SKS bolt that go under the feed lips of your magazine which converts it to the bolt style found on SKS-M & D rifles.

It requires grinding them off so that the magazine can then be removed with either the bolt open or closed. http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=23876.0 ...

One thing I should point out is that once you change/modify certain features of your SKS rifles from it's original military configuration as it was imported you are them required by federal law to remove or replace a certain number of the original imported parts with US MADE parts so that your rifle is compliant with 922(r) you can read up on that here [url]http://www.sksboards.com
    Thanks for answering my question & thanks for pointing out the compliance info. I'll be sure to dot all my "I"s & cross all my "T"s before I change anything.
    Last edited by JIMinPHX; 10-06-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Thanks to everyone else who contributed good info & valuable opinions too. This thread has proved to be very informative for me.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

I use a Ram-Line 19501 Carbine stock. It is lighter than wood or ATI Monte Carlo type. They don't have the 19501 anymore but, very similar 19505. It only needed a little sanding of the gas tube cover in fitting for my Chinese type 59.
    "Pray for war, at least in war you know who the enemy is." A Shipmate
    "One who respects the law and enjoys sausage, should never watch either being made." Benjamin Franklin