Mosin Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Dobetown View Post
    This is a timely thread thanks.
    I just picked up an M39.
    Is Privi corrosive?
    Silver bear is steel case right?
    I am looking for a few Finn clips.
    I will have to try the RD 165
    Nope, Privi is good-to-good reloadable boxer primed brass. Supposedly they make everyones non-corrosive 7.62x54R ammo. Silver bear, actually all the "bears" and most Wolf, are steel case and not boxer primed. Wolf does have a brass case non-corrosive product called "Gold". A lot of surplus is copper washed steel case and basicly all of it should be assumed corrosive.

If you have a source of water and a little dishwashing liquid to clean with, corrosive is no problem, just kicks like a mule.

I have used the same 20 cases probably 15 times each so far. 1800fps loads don't put much of a beating on them.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Cabela's bulk prvi is 84.99 per 100 rounds and comes in a free weather proof ammo box. Bought that until grafs got brass in. didnt shoot too bad for me.

There is some berdan primers comming in lately. S;lower to reload but .........

I am alwayes amazed at the way panties get in a wad when corrosive ammo is mentioned.Hot water works but is not needed. GI bore cleaner, Windex or any water based cleaner works. I use a couple wet patches followed by a couple dry. Then the Eds Red or Hoppes or whatever. I take a wet patch or two and wipe bolt face and around the chamber area to get any blow by wiped off. If gun will not be shot in a while I will clean it again the next day or two. Put it away with a coat of oil or Eds Red and thats it.

I sure would not want anybody shooting that "****" corrosive ammo at ME at 300 yds( or 500 or whatever!) I have been amazed to see 2" and 3" groups with an antique battle rifle shooting ANTIQUE AMMO. The priming coumpound plus the Berdan system is a very accurate and dependable ignition.

I agree it would be nice to have some boxer bras available at a decent price. My gag reflex kicks in before $.50 each for empty brass.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Buffalo Arms Co. has 2 listings for in stock 7.62X54R brass, Norma $136.00/100 and Czechoslavian $104.00.
    "Pray for war, at least in war you know who the enemy is." A Shipmate
    "One who respects the law and enjoys sausage, should never watch either being made." Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    I use privi brass, unsized lee 200 grain 308 mould and about 31 grains of 5744 out of my M39. Shoots wonderfully. I heat treat at 450 for 1.5 hours and double dose liquid alox. Anneal top third with a torch if used for hunting. Two notches above the 300 meter setting on the sights gives a perfect 100 yard zero. Good for 2200 fps or so. Deer hate it.

Boolit Master
    Commercial Prvi in commercial packaging is noncorrosive, and it's good brass to boot. I haven't reloaded any 54R Prvi brass because I'm still shooting that cheap corrosive surplus. I have 6.5x55 that's been reloaded 10-11 times with minimal FL sizing and moderate loads, and it's still good.

You may come across nny headstamped 54R surplus that is dated in the 70s or 80s that is berdan primed with the oversize military primer - it is corrosive (yes, even at that late date). Look closely at any nny ammo that comes to you loose or otherwise oddly packaged. Like others have said, don't be afraid to shoot corrosive 54R if the price is right. Just use some cleaning method that involves water and you should be OK. I have used 50/50 water and Ballistol as well as 1:4 household ammonia and water with good results. After the water treatment, clean and lightly oil as you normally would to remove jacket fouling and prevent corrosion during storage.