Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Star Sizer available ever?

Used Star Sizer available ever?

Seems like once someone gets one of these they hold on to them.

Are they ever posted for sale second hand around here or the swap and sell??

Moderator Emeritus

Once in awhile you'll see one listed in the Swappin' & Sellin' section of the forum. They usually last less than an hour after listing.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    Fred, When did you ever see one last an hour?

Moderator Emeritus

Dennis,

Not the full hour, less than an hour! I don't think one has ever lasted the full hour......

Fred

They are out there. I bought one for $150. Pretty elusive though.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Droool.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I hate telling people this story,because I get called dirty names but... At my local gun club the members have a tailgate sale every now and then. This guy had a few STAR lubesizers,2 that worked and 1 old one for"parts". after some wheelin dealin I walked away with all three for $85!!! The parts one only needed some TLC and I had it running in 5 minutes once I was in my shop. I have never paid full price for one but am always looking. In this case gold is where you find it!
    Last edited by seagiant; 02-16-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Boolit Master

I have three Star Sizers now. I have picked them up along the way, they are where you find them. I found one years ago in a gun shop in a junk box. Iwas marked as just for parts doesn't work. I came with 6 dies that were in various states of abuse. I was able to have them honed out to the sizes I needed and that took care of the gouges in them. The sizer had a cracked ring that goes around the lube tube for lack of the correct name. I dissasembled the sizer and cleaned up the crack and had a local welder weld up the crack. After boiling the sizer I found an extra leather washer inside the lube tube preventing any lube from getting to the bullets. No wonder it would not work. After all is done it may look like an ugly duck but it sure works well. Star Sizers are where you find them and even the ugly ducks can usually be put back in service. Good hunting (That is half the fun) GM

I have everyone I know looking at gun shows.....lol.

Boolit Buddy

Used Star Sizer ?

I am now back up to 6 Star sizers. Four are standard model, two are factory "Tall Boys" that hold 3 sticks of lube each.
    They are out there...

Boolit Master

Seems like when you look hard for that first one, you can't find it. Once you get one (or two), you start to see more and more of them for sale! Wierd!

At first, I couldn't buy a used one to save my life, so in disgust and frustration I purchased a new one from Magma. After that, they started popping up all over the place. I have four of them now...The last three I have acquired were really good deals.
    Jon

Quess I gotta buy a new one to get the ball rollin".....LOL.

The best used deal??

Found mine off of Craig's List.
    Included 2 dies (358, 425).
    $50.00

No, I am not making this up............

Boolit Master

Guys I think I have figured out the Star Sizer lack of availability. If you look at it most of us only bought 1 Lyman series or RCBS lubsizer. Once we discovered or were able to afford the Star Sizer we were not content with one we have to have several. I'm no better I have 3 and would get another if the price is right. As we get older and have more disposible cash we also get more lazy or I think of it as more efficient thats a good way to rationalize it. We absolutely need to have a sizer with different types of lube for the different boolits we cast for their purposes and maybe for each size. Of course we can justify another Star Sizer in case a friend comes over to help size the thousands of bullets you cast on a wintery day. Efficiency is the name of the game here. So all of you new guys or those that have just discovered the Star Sizer are on your own and are at a drastic disadvantage because the veterans can spot a Star Sizer from a mile away and we will get them first because we are being efficient and need and have to have more Star Sizers. Good Luck

Moderator Emeritus

I've got five of them, but one is broken. I'm going to call Magma and see if they're willing to take a stab at repairing it. The most I paid for any of them was $125.00, with a couple of dies. The least I paid was free. The free one is a little rusty, but I'll restore it this winter and get it going again.

It's true about needing different ones for different lubes, because that's exactly what I do. I also have a Lyman 450, an RCBS and two Saeco machines. I use them all for different things, but the Stars get the most use.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Mold
    I see them on e-bay all the time, but not cheap!

Boolit Master

Laziness is the true Mother Of Invention.

Boolit Grand Master

I've got two, bought both used several years apart and don't have $100.00 combined in them. I picked up two used Midway heaters for $30.00 and of course they both had to have their own air cylinder. Guess I'm a bit over $100.00 now but in reality I have all that for just a little over the price of one new Star.

If I find another deal on one it's mine in a heart beat. How can a guy call himself a bullet caster when he has only two Stars?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned

rick your slackin, you need at least three.
    one has to be for rifle stuff and two with boolit feeders.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    rick your slackin, you need at least three.
    I know, story of my life, a dollar short and a day late. But another decent deal will come along . . . I'll probably be a day late and a dollar short . . . Again.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member