Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: paste lube for cap and ball

Boolit Bub

paste lube for cap and ball

so im looking for a recipe for a thick paste type lube to smear over the balls on my 58 Remington. I was thinking something like beeswax and murphy's oil soap (seems beeswax and olive oil is popular) and playing with the amounts until it was finger smearable. looking for something to pour into something like an Altoids can and dip out with my finger and smear over the ball but something that also wont run out of the cylinder in hot weather after shooting a couple of gun loads.

Boolit Master
    You want to smear lube on your balls?
    <

<
    The primary purpose of the lube in a cap & ball revolver is to prevent cross-firing. The lubrication needs are light and almost anything oily or waxy will serve to prevent leading.
    <
    Rather than spread the lube wth your finger consider using one of those plastic ketchup squeeze bottles like you'd see at a picnic - or maybe in a diner. Fill the bottle with your favorite lube (like vaseline melted together with beeswax to thicken it slightly) and just squeeze to apply into the end of the chamber. Spin the cylinder to level it off and wipe of the excess with a rag. No mess no fuss.

Boolit Master
    There is a vast multitude of recipes out there. Most of them use some combination of;
    Beeswax
    Paraffin wax
    Vaseline
    Lanolin
    Olive Oil
    Tallow (beef, venison, etc., etc.)
    Lard
    Vegetable Shortening
    Mink oil
    Whale oil
    Rattlesnake fat
    Canola (formerly rape seed?) oil
    Oil from pieces hacked with a sword from the tail of a live dragon, accosted in its lair at the top of Mount Doom

Some swear by this or that recipe, but I don't think it matters much beyond having the right consistency for the weather. You'll find that what works in hot weather is impossible in freezing weather.

I second the motion for using a squeeze tube of some kind. I use several that originally had (imagine that) BP lube in them. I don't use the lube for preventing cross-fire, but mainly to keep the fouling softer.

I can remember using the old Prell shampoo tubes filled with crisco back in the 60's. The crisco was melted down and poured into the empty prell tubes while they were placed in a small tub of very cold water to keep the plastic tube from melting! Man, those were the crazy days. The ketsup bottle idea is a good one. (Besides, they don't make Prell shampoo in the tubes anymore!!)

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Use a two component recipe for simplicity as in BW/tallow. Recognize that for Carolina summers and Michigan winters you need more or less of the BW. pproximately 50/50 to start you off.

Not a thing wrong with a altoids tin for a walk in the woods, but the size is limited to shoot much C & B at one time. Try a musket cap can. I use a BW/olive oil mix in a chapstick consistency for my dog's paws when she is in the field a lot. I'm a traditionalist so its BW & beef tallow rendered for my seasonal mixes.

On Colts, lube that cylinder pin and lower rammer pretty well and all powder smut places BEFORE shooting to the ease cleanup later.Feel free to put plenty on the cylinder face and where fouling is blasted and builds up. Remingtons are a bit easier to prep & clean.

The Primary purpose of cylinder face lubing is NOT TO PREVENT CROSS FIRING. THAT IS BALONEY. CROSS FIRING COMES FROM POORLY FITTING CAPS. Sure you can pinch them so that sorta fit, but you are looking for a problem. Make sure your caps fit correctly.

BvT
    Last edited by Baron von Trollwhack; 10-07-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: TO CORRECT A MAJOR OLD SHOOTERS TALE .
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

OMG, 45-70 Ranger, gads, I remember pouring crisco into Prell tubes too. Man, I thought I was the only desperate nut out there. Good to know I am among a jury of my peers. What a small world. Thanks for the '60s flashback.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Grand Master

I just melt some Crisco and add a little Ivory soap to stiffen it up a little. Works great out of my ROA.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    OMG, 45-70 Ranger, gads, I remember pouring crisco into Prell tubes too. Man, I thought I was the only desperate nut out there. Good to know I am among a jury of my peers. What a small world. Thanks for the '60s flashback.
    yes you are among the few . i have used crisco , in a tube and on maxie balls for years

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WyomingWhitetail View Post
    so im looking for a recipe for a thick paste type lube to smear over the balls on my 58 Remington. I was thinking something like beeswax and murphy's oil soap (seems beeswax and olive oil is popular) and playing with the amounts until it was finger smearable. looking for something to pour into something like an Altoids can and dip out with my finger and smear over the ball but something that also wont run out of the cylinder in hot weather after shooting a couple of gun loads.
    Some of the boys over on The muzzleloading Forum are using Mobil 1 synthetic grease.

Tried it myself in my Dragoon, worked fine, no cleanup problems at all!

Boolit Master

55% Beeswax, 45% Olive oil, or Carnuba, 5% Marvel Mystery Oil.
    I use it on all my Black Powder stuff.
    To thicken, add Crisco.

Boolit Master
    I use an old cake decorating plunger tube with a spout to apply Crisco to the chambers.

One that is fairly popular for fiber wads runs something like 2:2:1 tallow, beeswax, and canning parafin. A wad punch, or a set, should cost less than $20. Old felt hats (think garage sales and 2nd hand stores) generally make good wads, or you can buy it by the sheet online. google durofelt.

Once you use a good wad combo, you will NEVER want to go back to the over-ball lube, except in desert-dry conditions.

Alan