Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Star lube piston

Boolit Buddy

Star lube piston

Is there a slightly oversize lube piston available for a Star? Mine is leaking around the spring with Carnauba Red and the temp set at 105 deg with 100 PSI pressure.
    Is this normal?
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Boolit Grand Master
    105 seems a bit warm. Have you tried reducing the heat to 95 or so?
    When I was using CR I found that a few degrees difference made all the difference in the world.. Even a few degrees too warm and I got a gooey mess.

Boolit Grand Master

Also, 100 PSI is a bit high. Try turning down the pressure until the lube groove doesn't fill, then turn it up just enough that they do, no higher. With warm lube that could be 40 PSI or even less. Too much pressure will squirt warm soft lube all over including past the piston.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Didn't think of that Rick, I don't have the air feed.
    I have found that the biggest trick to running a Star is getting the right heat/pressure settings. Once you have them figured out you are set.

Boolit Buddy
    I take it if you still have a spring involved on your air setup you are not using the factory magna air cylinder but a homemade setup. If your star is an older model with a fiber or leather washer maybe changing it out to the new synthetic washer from magna would stop the leak or buy the factory air cylinder assembly from magna.

Boolit Master
    No answers here, but do have one question. If your not running the air feed then how do you know your pressure is running at or around 100 PSI? Thanks Dennis.

I would start with a new hycard washer from Magna. It is what touches the tube. When I ordered a couple of parts for my air system, they told me to put a coat of vaseline, or white grease on the hycard washer to keep it from unscrewing as you use it.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Wow, thats a lot of pressure!

I use hard Magma lube at 120 degrees and 30psi. I know the heat is higher, but its a hard waxy lube compared to Lar's Red Carnauba.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    Wow, thats a lot of pressure!

I use hard Magma lube at 120 degrees and 30psi. I know the heat is higher, but its a hard waxy lube compared to Lar's Red Carnauba.
    I am not sure of the Magna Air Piston diameter; but the one I installed has a 7/8" diameter which should account for a higher pressure requirement, I think.
    Does anyone know the piston diameter that they are using?
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP