RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Cooking 50/50 mos/beeswax

Boolit Master

Cooking 50/50 mos/beeswax

I've been cooking up a batch here of almost one quart but it seems no matter what I do the consistency doesn't get any loose than that of a cream. I'm not sure how much heat I am supposed to add to this before it gets to whatever temperature I need it to be for that. With a consistency like this it would be good I suppose for pouring into a lubrisizer and use in such a contraption, but I am not sure its that optimal for pan lubing.

Do I just need more heat, or would another recipe suit pan lubing better?

Boolit Grand Master
    What is MOS ?

Can you get access to these components in Finland ?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81031

Boolit Master
    MOS grease, kinda stuff you put in wheel bearings, it's Glen Fryxells recipe.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    What is MOS ?

Can you get access to these components in Finland ?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81031
    These two, probably not:

30% Red, Tacky Lucas High Temp Grease
    10% Johnson's Paste Wax

Boolit Grand Master
    Ok, I didn't know if you could or not ?
    That recipe will certainly make some fine lube....

Boolit Master
    Right, but the 50/50 stuff then, not of use unless I get a lubrisizer? Eventually I will get a star some day...

Boolit Master
    Managed to find Lucas Red "N" Tacky in Finland BTW, so if I could find an alternative to the wax I could do that recipe, maybe the beeswax I already got.... How well does it flow when heated? Water like consistency would be nice for pan lubing.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

wax

Beeswax flows great when heated and is the base used in a majority of our lube recipes. A touch of Lanolin is also great for barrels. Look at the lube section of this forum.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    I got several pounds of beeswax actually. Bought some anhydrous lanolin off ebay last night. Gearing up to make Felix lube instead.

Poured the 50/50 lube I got last night in a pan and broke it into cakes today, it looks like nice lube, but not usable for pan lubing. So thats a bit of a let down, didn't see anywhere anything being mentioned of this so maybe I did something wrong, but I dunno what that could be. I suppose I will just have to pack it in plastic bags for a few years until I get a lubrisizer.

Boolit Mold
    My lube to 2500 fps is 50% beesway and 50% lithium based high speed, high temp wheel bearing grease. This grease has a clear red color to it. Purchased at Kragens/O'reilly Auto parts in 1lb canister. I just heat it until it is all melted and in total liquid form. Then let it cool. It can be poored into a sizer/luber if allowed to cool some. It also works good with cake cutter lubing. I use it for all cast bullet loads.

Boolit Master
    Maybe its the brand of MOS grease I used then. The grease I used is all black and sticky like heck. I don't know if there could be any difference with the beeswax I used, I made sure with a scale that I had 50/50 of each.

Boolit Master
    Right... Started experimenting, heated up some of the blocks of the cooled cake and threw in paraffin oil and a bottle of lee liquid alox and even more beeswax. Got the proper consistency when hot this time. Cooling right now to see what kinda result I'm getting.

I'm really just throwing stuff into the mix without a clue

keeping notes helps for later , personally for me i find the 50/50 a bit soft and use a bit more wax or some stearic acid to harden it up a bit , most any grease works ( vaseline is a common one ) softer mixes do work but perhaps best with the kake kutter approach or as stated the lubrisizer , i use a small container and test pan lube a few with new batches ( while the larger pot is still simmering ) the small container lets one do a test easy enough and then add ingredients as needed
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Yeah I got some rough notes. The recipe as currently standing is fine when warm, not solid enough when cold, considering adding small quantities of carnauba.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HDS View Post
    These two, probably not:

30% Red, Tacky Lucas High Temp Grease
    10% Johnson's Paste Wax
    Johnson's Paste Wax is a wood furniture cleaner/polish.

It is 10-30% Paraffin Wax, 5-10% Carnuba Wax and the remainder is solvents that cookout/evaporate.

If you can't find it, you maybe able to make an adequate substitute by mixing paraffin wax and carnuba wax.

Glen used a microwave and a 1 quart Pyrex measuring cut to melt and blend his lube, until one day the Pyrex broke and dumped a big load of goo in his microwave. Now he uses the old double boiler trick.

If you get the stuff to turn into a liquid and then stir it a bit, that is all it takes.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I use chemical glassware made from boron silicate, I got the stuff to turn liquid but never liquid enough, stood and stirred for half an hour.