Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys make your brass shine??.

Boolit Master
    Me too, plus it makes it easier to size.
    Quote Originally Posted by sig2009 View Post
    Walnut media and Nu Finish car polish!

Boolit Master
    Lizard333:
    How Much DOLLARS is the Stainless Steel Media and how do you clean it afterwards?
    NRA Life Member

BB's, water, dawn, lemishine and 3 hours in thumler. Less time may have worked but I started it and then went to church. Here is some of the roughest I could find for a test. And no I would not use the brass it was just a test. SS media is about $50 per 5lb. I want some but for now the BB's I got from walmart works just fine. The only drawback to BB's is fighting off rust and they do not get the primer pockets like the tiny SS media does.

Paul Graham
    Clean-um, Prep-um, Pack-um, Load-um, Bang-um

Boolit Buddy
    Out of Semi Chrome Poli and using a bit of Wright's polish in the media. I tear a paper towel into four pieces and poke them into the media. They come out dirty black. Keeps the media clean a long time. To get rid of some of the dust I run it with the lid off a little bit--it sits outside my door on the patio to keep the dust down inside. Thanks for the tip on Lemon shine. Have been using vinegar on real dirty/coroded brass.

I got the Lyman Ultra Sonic cleaner (on sale at Midway) and it cleans the brass inside and out. I don't have to use my tumbler but do as I like them to look new (yeah I'm kind of weird about some things).

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I don't? And it doesn't bother me. My tumbler gets the brass clean, I don't care about the shine.
    Same here.

Maybe 1 hour in walnut media and that's it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Swede44mag View Post
    Lizard333:
    How Much DOLLARS is the Stainless Steel Media and how do you clean it afterwards?
    You can buy the media alone for 50 or 60 bucks. You dump all the dirty water and brass with the media into a brass separator. I got mine for my birthday from dillons. Works great.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Man
    Just add NU Finish Car wax and it will do the job.

Boolit Master
    The SS media looks nice. However, every time I've got my brass wet , to rinse off mud or whatever, I've regretted it. Too much of a pain to dry. I go through too much brass and too many different calibers. Waste of time. I could see it for special occasion corroded brass or something but not every day cleaning/polishing. We want clean, shiny is a preference (which I want).

I also don't Nu-finish. It certainly makes the brass feel good. It's nice and clean and slippery. We don't want slippery in our brass.

Here's what I do.

Brass cleaning
    I like my brass clean and shiny. I have a one hour timer with two vibrating tumblers.

1. Put dirty brass in media separator, spin to remove dirt, grass un-burnt powder etc…
    2. Place brass in walnut, polish (currently Fritz), fabric sheet and mineral spirits for one hour.
    3. Remove from walnut and place in Corn cob, fabric sheet and polish for one hour.

It’s that simple. My brass is clean and shiny.

Someone set me straight on this; Mineral- or white spirits is that the same as turpentine?
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Grand Master

Not exactly, but I don't think you can actually buy real turpentine anymore. It originally was
    from pine trees, but some time back a turp substitute came out, and I now use "mineral
    spirits" for cleaning paint brushes and such. In this application you are just looking for a
    slow evaporating solvent, so any of these should work.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

For some reason when I saw this topic I thought there might be a lot of support for ultra-sonic cleaners, and I have been wanting to purchase one. It appears that they might not be as desirable as I was imagining, so can some of you elaborate on them from your experience please. I might rather spend that hundred bucks on molds and other goodies if the ultra-sonic is gonna be a waste.
    Last edited by bunkysdad; 09-24-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bunkysdad View Post
    For some reason when I saw this topic I thought there might be a lot of support for ultra-sonic cleaners, and I have been wanting to purchase one. It appears that they might not be as desirable as I was imagining, so can some of you elaborate on them from your experience please. I might rather spend that hundred bucks on molds and other goodies if the ultra-sonic is gonna be a waste.
    If you are looking for bright shiny brass from an ultra-sonic, save your money. The brass will be clean, but not bright. It works best for busting the grunge from range brass that has been laying around for awhile. I was disappointed with the results on brass...but I'll be trying it on getting the carbon out of the AR-15 bolt carrier. I think it will do well for that.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Quote Originally Posted by bunkysdad View Post

I truly like mine and use it a lot, but as Alchemist said they clean brass but don't polish. It cleans SS and makes it look brand new (I put my 629 in and it made me proud. I also use mine a lot for other parts and it cleans like you wouldn't believe. I would advise against putting anything in it with mediocre bluing on it as it will remove it. Oh well I was going to have it re-blued anyway. I am very pleased with mine and am very happy with it and feel it was money well spent.

Boolit Buddy
    soak for an hour or two in 1:1 mix water and Simple Green PRO HD or Simple Green Extreme (same product, different label) I use a heated ultrasonic cleaner, but I'm sure a bucket or sink will work just fine.
    Then tumble in Cabela's vibratory tumbler kit for a few hours.

That SS media kit looks cool!
    Too bad I just bought the Cabela's kit, maybe I'll upgrade someday, in the not-so-near future, that is.

Boolit Master

The Hornady one shot ultrasonic cleaner solution works great! I'd give it 5 stars. A quart bottle should last for a long time, it's a concentrated citric acid with a bit of soap that's mixed 40 to 1. It will do many loads once it's mixed, it will get dirty, then it needs to be tossed out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=711474

If you've got some brass that's been exposed to lots of rain, it'll look black, that's discolored brass, not corrosion. The US cleaned with the Hornady one shot cleaner will take that black off, leaving clean bright brass. It will NOT be shiny, to get that knock yer eyes out shine, you need to tumble in corn cob with some sort of abrasive made for brass.

The US cleaner with the Hornady stuff will get every bit of primer residue out of d-primed brass. Also, all the carbon INSIDE the brass. My HF cleaner needs 3-8 minute sessions to clean up the crustiest brass. Some say that's too much bother to keep track of turning it back on, I say so what? I have the cleanest brass around, especially after a tumble with 20-40 corn cobb and flitz tumbler additive.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=816895

Get the 20-40 corn cobb from drill spot . com. They're the retail arm of grainger, it's much finer than the stuff you normally find at gun shops. The lizard bedding stuff from pet stores is way too big for small cases like .223 up to .270. It'll jam in the cases so tight, you'll be picking it out all night rather than be loading them.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

IF your tumbler can be used with a liquid ? use bb gun bbs & joy dish washing detergent & the rest water if theres tarnshing add some lemon juice & tumbel for 1 hour . been doing it this way for over 30 years ! i use a vibrator with corn cob and flitz polish to put on the final polish for protection but it is not usually needed .

Cool The Recipe -

Unfortunately there is no secret, just trial and error (and a notebook)!

I use 3 parts Walnut to 1 part Lyman’s Red Polish.

Initial: I make the mix and tumble w/o brass and with lots of cut up dryer sheets (to remove the dust).

When it is time, I place the Brass in a coffee can (my home made tumbler), add 1.5 cups of the media, a few cut-up dryer sheet pieces. Run for 6-hours, SPOTLESS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brass-40_WIN.jpg   9mm_Brass.jpg  
    Last edited by G__Fred; 10-02-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Hi all - new here - first post. Have been "lurking" for some time wanting to get into casting.

I'm one of those guys who likes clean & shiny and like some of you, I started using SS media (already had an RCBS Sidewinder tumbler). After doing a little internet research, I found the company that makes the SS pins (cut wire shot). They sell it direct for half of what I saw quoted in the above relplies. A five pound bag is $25 and $5 shipping - ten pounds was the same shipping charge - so I bought two bags. The company is Pellets LLC in Tonawanda, NY. (716) 693-1750 - <pelletsllc.com>. Tell the nice lady that answers the phone you want it for cleaning brass and she knows the right size to send you.

I have had great results with very dirty brass - some I picked up on the range just to see how clean it would get. Could not tell the difference between my once fired and the stuff that looked like it had been on the ground for several months.

I also have had less than optimal results - clean but not very shiny. Probably let it tumble too long and the brass reacted with the water/soap/Lema Shine mixture and it came out looking tarnished.

My $.02 - Am sure I will be back for some research/advise when I start melting ingots and pouring my own.

Boolit Master
    I like clean brass, shiny is okay too but I am not going to run brass in any wet solution and have to get it dried. Not a issue with a low shooting volume but I shoot a ton of ammo and its just something that makes good sense to me.

Been cleaning brass over 30 yrs with walnut hulls and sometimes Nu Finish added, its been a good solution for me. Never had a second thought to change it for anything that makes brass wet.

You can make t his brass cleaning a real PITA if you work at it !!