Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Remington 5R Milspec 308

Boolit Master

Remington 5R Milspec 308

Shot a few 10 shot groups @ 50 yards with my 5R Milspec. I wasn't sure how radiused rifling would handle cast boolits. I used the 165 grainer from Accurate Mold sized to .312" with 2400 and Winchester Large Pistol primers ...........looks like there's some promise here. Will increase powder in 1/2 grain increments and see what happens.

15 grains = .883"
    16 grains = .892"
    17 grains = .706"
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master
    Nicely done. Would be interesting how it holds out at longer ranges.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

It would be interesting to use a really long (heavy) bullet in the 5R. The gun has such a long throat that you could seat a long bullet way out and get some great accuracy, I'll bet.

I've never shot lead in my 5R. But, I've had some 199 and 200 scores at 1000 yards with it.

The gun seems to like heavier bullets. And, of course, the heavies fly a lot truer at 1K yards.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master
    The twist was designed for 175 grain bullets, I played around with seating depths with the Sierra 175 SMK's and really didn't notice any real difference with them seated to run through the magazine or seated out to touch the lands.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Grand Master

That M700 should have a 12" twist barrel. A 311466 or the LBT 160 gr can do marvelous things accuracy wise at 2350 - 2400 fps with the right powders

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    The Remington 5R Milspec is based on the M24 but uses a 24" barrel with the same RH Twist of 1:11.25" .

Boolit Grand Master

Herbs picture is not that of the Target Tactical which is Rem's on ly current offereing with 5R having a 26" barrel with 11 1/4" twist. Older rifle Herb?

The SPS Tactical AAC-SD (20" barrel threaded for suppressor) still has the 10" twist. The following models are listed with 12" twist .308W barrels;

Tactical Long Range
    Varmint SF
    SPS Varmint
    SPS Tactical
    VTR ATACS

Interesting to note is that only one M700 is offered with a 9" twist in .223, all others are again 12" twist barrels.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Larry........had to check my records, rifle was purchased in March of 2005. At that point in time they only made about 800 of these a year and may have seen some time in the custom shop as both locking lugs show nearly complete engagement.
    Last edited by Herb in Pa; 09-01-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Buddy
    the 5R is a great gun, I bought mine 2 years ago the throat is really long with 150 gr sierrea MK can just barely touch the lands and not enuff bullet left to seat in case, but testing many bullets from 118 gr to 175 does not matter where you seat them they all shoot great allways under 1 moa no matter the yardage out to 600 with my gun, best 308 I have seen from factory, recently took first place in hunter class with it.

Boolit Grand Master

herb

Sounds like you've got a nice rifle that many others won't have.....something to be said for that......until you shoot the barrel out....been there, done that....major sad face......

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    herb

Sounds like you've got a nice rifle that many others won't have.....something to be said for that......until you shoot the barrel out....been there, done that....major sad face......

Larry Gibson
    How many cast down the tube to shoot it out?

JDL