MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Cartridge - Dangerous Game

Real mauser action at a decent price. This one's .458 Win. Magnum:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=114481

Boolit Master
    My vote is for a 505 Gibbs, and a 416 Taylor as a backup/plains game rifle. The Gibbs will do all
    for big stuff and the Taylor will shoot flat enough for plains game and also 400's at 2300 will do for big stuff. My Taylor will shoot at one hundred yards the 400 grain right over the front sight, the 350 Speer(excellent bullet) two inches high and some of those 300 grain swaged bullets three inches high.

Boolit Bub
    Unless you are determined that you cannot take DG with anything less that a 500-gr. bullet, you need to look at a .416 Taylor.

Yeah, yeah, there are scads of other calibers that make noise too, but the .416 Taylor - with decent 400-gr. bullets - will STOP (not just kill, but STOP!!!) any DG that breathes on this planet!

You can get a great .416 built cheaply, or spend a lot more money, if you want to get fancy and/or name-brand extravagent. But, really you can get a great hunting Taylor for right at a grand! Then you can spend the rest of the $5000 on ammo, safari, etc., etc.

IF YOU NEED MORE THAN THE .416 TAYLOR, YOU NEED SOMETHING WITH A LANYARD!

Reggie

Boolit Bub
    +
    .416 Taylor!
    Effective and you do not get fallen arches carrying it!

Boolit Grand Master

1886 Winchester in 45-90, 1895 in .405. May not have the oomph you're looking for but they've been there, done that.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I don't know! I saw where some dudes in England were trying to clone a tyrannosaurus rex might better think a 105mm or 155mm. smile.
    Frank G.

Kind of boring, but I've decided my Marlin in 45-70 loaded warm will Kill anything still walking the planet.

Boolit Bub
    It really depends on what your going to do with this rifle. I don't think you can go wrong with a good 505 Gibbs/500 Jeffery, 450 rigby, or even 585 Nyati/577 T-rex. You could do a 460 Weatherby, but I think you will agree with me that the styling and quality of Mark V rifles leaves a bit to be desired. A great article that may help with your search is http://www.470mbogo.com/BigBoreCompendium/. I hear CZ is a great company to deal with, and it is probably the best choice for a custom build in the large calibers because of the excellent and fool proof Mauser design. JTknives on this forum is also THE guy to talk to about large caliber weaponry, he's a great guy and is on this forum alot, so shoot him a PM. Good luck on the build, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you end up with.
    Sincerely, Jim.
    Last edited by 50-170-700 sharps; 09-18-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Go big or go home; .50 BMG.
    That's what I was thinking all along, I can't believe no one else mentioned it. A good bolt-action Barret should be in budget and easy enough to handle for a guy who can handle .458 Lott without whimpering too much.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Kind of boring, but I've decided my Marlin in 45-70 loaded warm will Kill anything still walking the planet.
    Yup. Like convincing anyone around my part of the country that my wimpy old .30-30 is still capable of killing a 125-lb whitetail. Lots of old Germans in the area that still hunt deer (illegally) with .22 rimfire. Not everyone can shoot as well as most of them can, though.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Yep with the 45-70 loaded up to the Marlins potential it will kill anything on either end! A 400gr boolit at 1900fps gives 3200 lbs of energy! A 350gr at 2050fps is nothing to laugh at either!
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    The .700*** from JTKnives (his build is on this site)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=700+***

or

a 2-Bore BP cartridge firing Jones Underlever from Charles Stolzer
    http://stolzergunsmithing.webs.com/2...underlever.htm

Either one should do just fine for anything up to T-Rex.
    BDGR
    YOU knew someone would ask, and I just HAVE to: What is the full designation, and source, of the name of the .700 ***?

Boolit Master
    My gunsmith (one of them) is finishing up a 600 OK for me. Think 600 Nitro Express in a rimless version for a bolt rifle.
    I have a 10 bore double coming, so the 600 is surplus to my needs. It would come at about the upper end of your budget. Really great piece of walnut.

Rich

Boolit Master
    I'm still planning on a .416 Taylor but not to go to Africa.

If I DID go ............ the Taylor would go along as Frank 505 suggests and something heavier for the main DG rifle.

Don't know enough about those bigger numbers to offer any conflab about them.

Three 44s

Boolit Buddy
    At on time the 475 A&M was the most powerfull rifle cartridge in the world folks! It even shades the 460 Weatherby. Personally I think most of the rounds mentioned, other than the 458 Winchester and the 505 Gibbs, are way over powered unless you are hunting T-rex or blue whales. And way to much recoil too.

T-o-m

Boolit Master

Sheesh, never saw three gallons of testosterone ever kill anything.

Idea! To be different why not go with something that can be shot enough to become proficient with, can be reloaded easily, causes no problems in finding many options for factory ammo, locating ammo, choices of dies or components. Fine, reliable guns for these cartridges can be had for less than $2K. These ARE different because everyone else is chasing the latest fad T rex blaster cartridge.

For practical, non-fad yet different today cartridges like the 375 HH, 416 Rigby, 416 Remington come to mind... The 375 loaded with the 300 gr Swift A Frame and the 416s loaded with the 400 gr Swift A Frame. For shooting the 500 gr bullet at decent levels without pushing pressure limits the 458 Lott is hard to beat. Any of these are effective for anything that walks. Solids of course are optional but many times not recommended depending on conditions, the PH's preference, type of game, etc.

Boolit Master
    A guy named Bell killed over 1000 elephants with a 7X57 mauser shooting 175 gr FMJ bullets. Bullet placement is the trick not horse power.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by NickSS View Post
    A guy named Bell killed over 1000 elephants with a 7X57 mauser shooting 175 gr FMJ bullets. Bullet placement is the trick not horse power.
    While I agree that bullet placement is vital, I think you'll agree that if you could pick any rifle to go shoot a potentially dangerous animal, the 7x57 mauser would NOT be it.
    Of the many choices under 5k I think that the 505 Gibbs/500 Jeffery or 450 Rigby in the fine CZ 550 would not disapoint, these chamberings deffinitley are a bit exotic as wished, and are definatley within the price range mentioned. I personally plan to get a ruger #1 in 458 Lott next year or the year after.

Best of luck, Jim.

Boolit Buddy

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Yup. Like convincing anyone around my part of the country that my wimpy old .30-30 is still capable of killing a 125-lb whitetail.

Gear
    Now thats bad. I thought the scoffs I get for 30-30 on 800+ Lbs of AK moose were bad... But doubting it'll drop a deer? Damn.

G.
    "Brass?" "Check." "Lead?" "Check." "Powder? ""Check." "Primers?" "Check." "Lube? ""Check." "Good.... Gun? ......... Gun?......." "ummm.... I'm soposed to have a gun?"

I wouldn't have any trouble staying way under $5M. A new FN Win M-70 in 416 would do me fine.

Would probably use a red dot sight.