Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky

Thread: RCBS Priming tools ??

Arrow RCBS Priming tools ??

Which one (or both) of the following do you use more or less and why?

1. The hand priming tool rcbs# 90200

2. The Automatic priming tool rcbs# 09469
    I SHOOT MORE FOR LESS

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible,With Liberty and Justice for all.

Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

GAS--> $1.55--1-18-09

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    For speed, ease of use and consistency the Auto Prime is unbeatable. Over the last 50 or so years of reloading I have at one time or another used or seen used virtually every priming system and/or tool readily available and I have found nothing close to the RCBS Auto Prime. This is the tool with the arm that holds the primer tube and swings back and forth to load the priming punch.

Since I pretty much detest priming, I try to make the operation as painless as possible and this tool does it.

Hand tools are fine for their portability, but I find them to be fatiguing if one has a lot to prime, especially as the years go by.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    I'll vote for the Auto Prime as well. I've used the RCBS and Lee hand tools, not to mention RCBS Jr. and RockChucker presses. I'm so happy with my old Auto Prime that I've never even tried priming with my Co-Ax.

Very elegant system. My only complaint is that the base casting on mine isn't parallel enough to allow me to clamp it in the vise on the bench. It needs to be clamped/bolted to the bench.

Richard
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Boolit Buddy
    Nice fact the RCBS priming units use the standard shell holders.
    I have both the bench mounted unit and the hand unit.
    I like the hand operated unit,because you can feel the primer bottom out in the primer hole.
    That eliminates failures to fire ,especially in high power matches.
    Les.

Boolit Master
    Auto prime is top shelf !! I have used it for 30 plus years and sent my old model to RCBS and they upgraded it to the newer version which is fast and slick as can be.

I know of no other tool on the market as versatile as this RCBS auto prime.

Boolit Master
    My vote is for RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool 90201. No shellholders needed. Great warranty & Customer Service.

I've had Lee Auto Prime, and worn out, and broken many over the years, and lost many shellholders.

Priming on press....during the Dark Ages.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Vendor Sponsor

+1 on the RCBS Universal. Used the old Lee hand priming tool for many years but went ape and bought one of the Universal RCBS tools last year. No shell holders to change, and it works real nice.

Just primed 50 .308's last night in about 10 minutes. Had one primer go in backwards(my fault). Pushed it out carefully with an old Lee deprimeing tool from my .243 Lee Loader, and shoved it back in the hole with the RCBS.

I always wanted one of the lever operated ones but never got around to buying one. Now I like this one so no need to complicate things further.

I never used the priming arm on my Rockchucker even once, always used a hand tool. I like being able to feel the primer seat.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a hand priming tool twenty or so years ago. It has served me well enough that I haven't seen the need for anything else.

I bought a couple of sets of shellholders at gunshows, and add to them as needed.

Robert

Currently I'm one-at-a-time priming on my JR3. Works fine and I don't have to worry about dropping a tube full of primers.

I will get a hand primer at some point, but I'm patient. After all I have only been reloading for a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikO View Post
    Currently I'm one-at-a-time priming on my JR3. Works fine and I don't have to worry about dropping a tube full of primers.

I will get a hand primer at some point, but I'm patient. After all I have only been reloading for a month or so.

When you finely get that Hand primer you will say to your self why didn't I do this before

Buy the RCBS when you do.

Boolit Bub

Smile RCBS Priming tools

i have used the rcbs auto primer for over 35 years. still with original parts except fro the priming tube bent nail. the rcbs hand primer was used in front of the tv or in the car waiting for family menbers shopping bible school etc. rcbs did replace a plastic large rifle sleeve at no charge after 25 years of use.:

Moderator Emeritus
    I use both and rate them both very highly, sometimes I just fancy using one and other times I fancy using the other. The bench prime is a lot easier on the hands for long runs. I also like the APS bench primers but find loading the strips is only worthwhile if I'm priming 500 plus cases.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    My vote is for RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool 90201. No shellholders needed. Great warranty & Customer Service.

I've had Lee Auto Prime, and worn out, and broken many over the years, and lost many shellholders.

Priming on press....during the Dark Ages.

Jon
    +1 I love my RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool. I thought i would have problems with cases wanting to pop out of the jaws but have had nothing but good luck with it so far, although I do think that the smaller the case is the more potential for problems to occur.
    INFIDEL 4 LIFE

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    My RCBS Universal hand primer sets in the dark and is seldom used, came with my Rockchucker kit, the large primer shell holder had to be reamed out so the rod would retract when you let loose of the handle.

The neck of the primer tray was too wide and seperated the shell holders, same thing had to file it down so it didn't bind.

The large primer rod was to short to seat some brands of large rifle primers fully to the bottom of the primer pocket, had to fabricate a longer one from drill rod stock.

I get better feel from my cheap Lee being you only use one thumb instead of 4 fingers, I could never feel the primers bottom with the RCBS.

Every ones ideas of best is relative!

Moderator Emeritus
    Have you brought these issues to the attention of RCBS for them to rectify?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy

I use my old Lachmiller It does the job! I use to use a RCBS Lachmiller type priming tool too but I like my Lachmiller.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think RCBS bought out Lachmiller and that is where they're design came from. I have always used the LEE hand prime tool but wanted to try the RCBS bench type but the price of one new kept me from pulling the trigger. Then an older gentleman at my Gun Club said he had some things for sale and in the mess was an older one without one of the primer tubes. I cleaned it up and called the nice lady at RCBS and was good to go! Don't use the LEE much any more!
    Last edited by seagiant; 02-08-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Yeah you are correct RCBS bought out Lachmiller and they got there design from them. I like the old vintage stuff!

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    No ,I never contacted RCBS, and I realize they would have taken care of the problem.

In my way of thinking the quality control should have been more consistant.

I was able to correct the problem without any hassle.

Of course this is just one person's opinion!