Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners

Thread: Necessity of Tin

Boolit Mold

Necessity of Tin

Hi there-

I'm looking at Rotometals for some of what they have, and they have an lead/antimony mix that is about 4-6% antimony. From the bumpo hardness calculator, it looks like it'll average out to 13-15 for hardness. My concern is the tin, as I've seen people mention that tin makes it easier when it comes to filling the mold (or makes it fill better). I'm attracted to this because it is 90 cent less per pound that Lyman #2. I'd be using the boolits for 158 gr SWC with my 357. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

I think I'd wander over to the Swapin' and Sellin' section and get 60 pounds of WW for $65 delivered...

No affiliation with any members selling, just have a hard time buying virgin alloy.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with the WW. Thats what I use. If I have more tin ill put it in but to me its not required.

Boolit Master
    Tin is not absolutely required but it really does help the mould fill out. Some blocks need the help more than others. If you're feeling flush add tin to your WWs - even 2% tin can make a world of difference in how your casting session goes. I personally like tin and use it in my mixes but then I have some in stock from back when it was cheaper.
    Uncle R.

My preference is to use straight ww. Tin may not be required but it makes my molds fill out much easier for me. It doesn't take a lot either. I use the 95/5 lead free solder from the hard ware store. I use muffin tins to make my ingots with, which normally weigh about 1 3/4# each. For each muffin added to the pot I'll add about and inch and a half of solder. The role I get I'd guess to be about 3/16" or so.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    Try some regular wheel weight lead first..some molds don't need the tin. Tin helps the lead flow into the tight crevices of the mold and makes the bullet better defined. Like making tin soldiers.. that fine detail wouldn't turn out with just lead.
    If you have a fairly basic mold and don't need precise crisp sharp lines regular clip WW are just fine. Try it first like that and only add tin if you find the mold wants it.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Buddy
    The REPUBLIC of TEXAS The state most likely to succeed
    that`s right

As already noted, most of the time, straight clip ww cast fine in most molds. The add'n. of a small amount of tin never hurts, but sometimes doesn't help much either.