RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 7-08 Silhouette Loads

7-08 Silhouette Loads

Hi All,

Looking for some advice. To start with, my principal shooting discipline is metallic silhouette, both Smallbore and High Power. The High Power is becoming very costly with the cost of components as well as the rapid barrel wear. I have decided that the way to go is with cast boolits. This will be much more economical.

The local range I shoot the monthly match at is a reduced course with the Chickens at 200m, Pigs 240m, Turkey 280m and Rams at 305m. The targets are reduced appropiately in size for that distance. A 120g Sierra at 2600fps muzzle velocity has no problems with the Rams. The Rams weigh about 25 pounds.

I have ordered a Lee double banger 130g 7mm mould and 1000 gas checks. Still need to slug the bore which has had approx. 1000 jacketed rounds through it.

What muzzle velocity should I be looking for? What loads do you recommend? Lube? Anything else to get me pointed in the right direction? What weight boolit for the proper 500m distance?

Mike

I don't know about a rifle, but my 7-08 pistol takes full size rams at 200 meters. I have been shooting the RCBS 145-sil over <14.5> (IIRC) 17.5 grs. ( I checked my notebook) IMR 4227 lit by a CCI LR in necked down R_P 308 cases. With the 130 gr bullet I would look for a velocity around 1700 fps muzzle for the short targets. I don't know about the full-size/length shots though.

My $.02.

Adam
    Last edited by DragoonDrake; 08-30-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: correcting charge

Thanks Adam,

I was thinking somewhere in the 1700 to 1800fps range is where I ought to be. If I ring a few Rams, oh well. I could also consider a heavier boolit/load for Rams. Good excuse to buy another mold!

Mike

Hello Mike.
    You should first slug your bore (I think the Lee mold you mention isn't a bore rider). I had a SAKO 75 Varmint in 7-08 Rem i sold last winter and have now a Stevens 200 (light barrel) in same caliber. I also have the mold you bought and he doesn't bore ride... My favorites molds for this caliber are LEE Soup can 135grs (6 cavities) and NOE hunter 150grs (4 cav.). I reload with Vihtavuori powders : 15,5grs N110 for the LEE boolit with no filler and CCI 200 and 19,3grs N120 with puff dacron, same primer with the NOE.
    Accuracy is a little more than a M.O.A to 200 meters.
    Good shooting !
    SCIBUL

OK. The mold, gas checks and sizing die (.285) have arrived. I scrubbed the mold and cast a few with WW. The nose is .2755, the drive bands are .2855 and the gas checks are a bit loose. The boolit is a bit undersized. The nose of the boolit drops into the muzzle to the first drive band.

I "beagled" the mold .002" and the measurements are much better and the gas checks now fit.

I loaded up 20 that are sized to .285, TL in 45/45/10 with 7 grains Red Dot as an initial trial.

I will report back. I plan on using either 2400 or IMR4227 to develope the load I want (+/- 1800fps).

Mike

I am dragging this thread up from the depths if anyone is interested. Finally shot my first match with cast. I used 2 loads. Chicks and Pigs 10.5gr A2400 with no GC for a muzzle velocity of approx 1400fps. Turks and Rams, 17.0g IMR4227 with a GC for a muzzle velocity of approx 1800fps.

Tha C&P load easily took them down. It was like shooting a 22lr. I could maintain the sight picture all the way to the target. The T&R load easily took every Turk I hit, however, a dead center hit on the Ram sometimes "rang it". Lost three Rams out of the two matches I shot. The Rams need just a bit more omph. Probably another 100fps will do it.

I had a great time, and on one bank of Pigs, I missed the the fifth pig for a 5 in a row pin, but won the shoot-off in my class.

Put a a total of 120 rounds down range with no leading what so ever.

caseyboy

Boolit Master
    Glad you did, I'm interested. I have a 7mm-08 Savage.

I've shot the same silhouettes in 100 meter competition with a TC Contender. Too bad our range won't set up unlimited, it'd be fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Caseyboy

You may lose accuracy pushing that bullet into the 1900 fps range if the rifle has a 9" twist. Suggest you try it with a slower burning powder with that Lee bullet. If not then a heavier bullet will do the job at 1800 fps. The Lyman 287641 or the RCBS 7-168-SP at 1800 fps would be my choice for those rams. That is assuming your rifle also has a shorter throat unlike a milsurp throat. If the throat is long enough then I'd look for a Lyman Lovern 287405 or the original RCBS 28-168-FN (a semi Lovern design)

Larry Gibson

Canyon-Ghost,

I am shooting a Savage in 7-08. I love that gun. I just put better glass on it and the Burris rings with the MOA adjustment. I really think it can be shot out to 500 meters with a better shooter.

Hi Larry,

The rifle is a Remington 700 in stainless. I was thinking the Lyman 287641. Do you think that would be a good fit?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by caseyboy View Post
    Hi Larry,

The rifle is a Remington 700 in stainless. I was thinking the Lyman 287641. Do you think that would be a good fit?
    That should be a good bullet but the scraper groove is a potential weak point if you drive it fast with the wrong alloy. If you can find a 287308 I would think it would be the better bullet but they are hard to find and the 284641 is currently available. The 287308 has no scraper groove. Both bullets have a BC of .325. Thus in the 1800 - 1900 fps range (the RPM threshold range for a 9" twist barrel) either should stay just sonic to 500 yards. Thus you can drop down a bit in velocity for best accuracy with either bullet and have the retained energy/momentum to knock the rams down at 305m quite handily. The 287641 may do just fine at 1700-1800 fps also depending on the alloy. You'll want that to be hard yet malleable so it won't shatter to quickly on impact.

As to "fit"; the bore riding nose should be a push fit into the rifling at the Leade with just a sciff of engraving. The front driving band should fit the throat to just allow chambering. The GC should not be below the case neck. Most Lyman moulds of 7mm allow a good "fit" in modern .284 barrels. Only the mould you get and cast bullets from it will tell.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    You might also look into NOE's 150gr 7mm "hunter" boolits. Have some cast for my 7mm-08 but have not been able to try them yet.

Boolit Master
    Casey,
    Were are you shooting rifle silhouette in B.C.?

Hi Power in Port Alberni, Mission amd Kamloops. Where in Canada are you located? I am in Victoria.

I am shooting the NOE 150 gr. hunter using reformed IVI 7.62 brass over a 28.5 gr charge of wc735 @ $117.00 for 7 lb box it makes for fairly cheap shooting ( from higginson) lit with a fed #210 cap and let it sufice to say there is no point having anyone spotting for the chickens or pigs! When you get out to the turkeys and rams you stand a fighting chance of seing the boolit impact site! They shoot flat and hit hard out of a 15" Wichita sillouette pistol , so you should be able to strech them out @ rifle velocity. Just my 2 cents worth.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyboy View Post
    Hi Power in Port Alberni, Mission amd Kamloops. Where in Canada are you located? I am in Victoria.
    I live west of Prince George..
    Kamloops is a 9 hour drive for me..
    Just to far for me at today's gas prices and motel rates..
    I use to shot handgun silhouette three weekends a month, year round back in the 80's when I lived in Arizona..
    Sure miss it!
    They have built a new range near Prince George with plenty of room for a HP range I hear..
    We'll see how that play's out..

blaser.306,
    Where does wc735 fall on the burn rate chart?
    Is it a ball powder?
    Thanks..

Nrut,

Do you shoot sillywet in PG? I know a few guys from up that way. Will see them next moth at the provincials in Mission.

Boolit Master
    No I don't..
    Yes please ask these fellows if they are shooting HP silhouette in PG when you see them at the provincials..
    I don't know anyone from over that way..
    Thanks Casey..