Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsRepackboxInline Fabrication

Thread: Nose poured Molds

Nose poured Molds

I seen some nose poured molds on the Midway site in 458 cal. I was wondering how they work if anyone has tried them?

I just picked up a used CZ550 in .458 Lott and am wanting to shoot cast with it. It came with a box of Hornaday 500 grain round nose and it took a couple of shots to figure out my thumb was hitting my nose during recoil .

Boolit Buddy
    I am using a 550gr Hoch in my 45-70 1874 C.Sharps. Shoots great,need to cast around 750 f w/ 1-30. Also I get more consistant bullets weight wise with ladel.

Boolit Master

Lyman has made at least one size mould in a nose pour: 457676. I have one and it casts very nicely. There are some that feel you get a more accurate boolit this way as the base is not messed with by the sprue plate.

I'm not a good enough shot to tell.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master

I used to own a couple of Hoch molds when Rick was still making them. They were works of art at the time and cast very concentric boolits with flat bases. They seemed to me to run at hotter temps than a base pour.
    If you are going to make a hole in something. MAKE IT A BIG ONE!

I have Eagan and Hoch nose pour molds.I cant say the nose pour design itself has been more accurate as i have shot just as consistent with LBT and RCBS base pour molds. The quality of the molds and their dimensions are the big difference

George

Moderator Emeritus
    Hollow Base moulds are nose pour.

For flat based boolits when cut well they undoubtably give a better finished base to the boolit and this can be very important when shooting at long range, especially in the BPCR game.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

The base is the steering end of a boolit as we all know. They should be more accurate.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Thanks for the info. I just orded some dies and brass. I would like to eventually have a longer pointy mold for informal target shooting and a nice round flat for hunting.

George must have the proper timing down to avoid making the base divots that I do. No way I can make a bullet from a base-pour mold shoot as good as one from one of my Eagan nose-pour molds. Got to admit, NOE is getting very close with their top venting.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson