Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Best reloading manual for cast bullets?

Boolit Mold

Best reloading manual for cast bullets?

I'm looking to pick up a reloading manual with a good selection of cast bullet loads, especially Ruger-only .45 colt loads. I currently use the Hornady handbook but the cast bullet loads are pretty limited in bullet styles and weights. I'm thinking the Lyman reloading handbook is probably a good choice but I don't have any place to get a hands-on look at it before buying. Is this a good choice is there a better alternative? I know there are plenty of load sources online but I like having a source for known safe loads at least to compare to.

Moderator Emeritus

Lymans Cast bullet Handbook is easily the best printed manual for cast loads.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    Lyman's Reloading Handbook has both cast and jacketed loads.

Though not as in-depth as either of the Lyman handbooks and long out of print, the RCBS manual can still be found.

RCBS has a very good cast bullet manual.

Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. I prefer the 3rd edition over the 4th Edition for the informational section up front but the 4th Edition has a lot more and updated data.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys/gals. I was looking at the normal Lyman handbook and didn't realize there was a separate cast bullet handbook.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. I prefer the 3rd edition over the 4th Edition for the informational section up front but the 4th Edition has a lot more and updated data.

Larry Gibson

+1
    Get all of the editions if you can find them. There is a lot of good info in old loading manuals that is passed over in later printings.

Larry Miller

Boolit Master

...and pick up a few older lyman regular manuals like #45. Lots of good loads in there too. Sometimes you'll find an obsolete cartridge that you need to load in them.

Doug

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 on Lyman and the quest for older manuals. Good to cross check load data.

In Remebrance

Ditto, get the Lyman cast books. Also get Ken Waters "Pet Loads". Ken almost always included cast loads in his articles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Ditto, get the Lyman cast books. Also get Ken Waters "Pet Loads". Ken almost always included cast loads in his articles.

+1 on "Ken Waters Pet Loads" These manuals give many loads not tested by "company" manuals.

Larry

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by OneBagNomad View Post
    I'm looking to pick up a reloading manual with a good selection of cast bullet loads, especially Ruger-only .45 colt loads. I currently use the Hornady handbook but the cast bullet loads are pretty limited in bullet styles and weights. I'm thinking the Lyman reloading handbook is probably a good choice but I don't have any place to get a hands-on look at it before buying. Is this a good choice is there a better alternative? I know there are plenty of load sources online but I like having a source for known safe loads at least to compare to.
    Get as many books as you can reasonably afford and store.

yes Lyman's castbullet handbook is the best.
    beside all the powder and bullet manufacturer reloading manuals,
    Lee's book is great also.

BUT, my favorite reloading manual is "Nick Harvey's Practical Reloading."
    He doesn't specialize in cast, but he documents some cast loads, what I
    like about it is that this is all one man's testing data. It's great "real world"
    data to compare to the Lab testing that the bullet manufacturers offer.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

My long-misplaced review of the Lyman #4 is set for print in the next Handloader. It's an excellent book, but it does NOT contain a Ruger-only section at all. Only the regular Lyman manual (#49 is current) contains Ruger-only data.

Most Lymans have a good selection of cast loads. I use #45,46,47,48,49 and they have covered just about everything I needed ( though I only do pistol and 38/55)

Rich

Boolit Buddy

Lyman's new version is very good; they were generous to include loads for Lee, Saeco and RCBS noulds as well as their own. I think the Lee manual deserves a strong mention. Their load recommendations are not maker specific at all, allowing one to use virtually any mould with some confidence. I do think the powder recommendations tend too heavily towards the Accurate brand, though.

+1 to the Lee manual. Lots of good info in there including interpolation of velocity and pressure data.

Frank

Boolit Master
    this one
    Last edited by adrians; 09-14-2011 at 08:08 PM.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Master
    All of the above are good ones. My wife gave me a bunch of old reloading manuals once. The Lyman 41st Edition is an interesting one. It has cast and jacketed loads, but what is most interesting is in the very back it has a fold out section with the Ideal cast boolit designs, Lyman scope models and a bunch of Lyman receiver peep sights and what particular rifle they fit on. Interesting reading.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

The Lee manual does indeed have some interesting things, and is worth having. ALL their load data, however, is copied from other sources. They don't even have a test lab.