Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 225 grain 45 cal from a 9mm!!!!

Vendor Sponsor

B2,

Keep the brass at around .448 rather then the .451 though I'm sure both would work. The core seat die is really needed with the 45s and it is right around .449ish.

Using my universal die with the expanding mandrels will really show you if you get some brass that is not fully annealed.

Have you figured out how to flatten the base/head of the case yet?

Let me know if you need some 45 cal dies. I'm also working on the 22 cals for you as well.

Good shooting

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Man
    Ok...I'll keep the brass at .448 instead of at .451...I just read your post of a pic where you said the 9mm was at .451 without the core seated and I stuck a larger mandrel in for a third step and got it to .451.

In my case...I use the mandrel for the 9 to 40 step first to open it up...then I use the 44 cal mandrel to open it up more...I back off on the die so that the pressure is only at the very end of the ram stroke..and tighten 1/2 turn...press it...give the die another 1/4 turn....press it....after about three of these the bottom is flat and the same size as the rest of the brass.

What really was cool is that the primer grows in size as well...not too much..but I can tell visually that it has...and also the flash hole has grown....about 1/32nd of an inch...but enough where I can visually see it.

I do want some .45 dies...but I really need the 22 cals first. I also want a .308 set and I think I mentioned to you that if you have a set that is messed up and needs to go larger...I'll be interested in a .323 set. I've really....really...really come to love my Yugo M48 Mauser that is both a beauty to the eye and a beauty to shoot. If I somehow get drawn for the Elk Lottery next year in Kentucky I'll be putting one down with the Mauser.

Shoot me a PM with the prices...I've spent way too much this year on reloading...but I've spent WAY too much on more rifles...but I think I can work something else into my budget.

Oh..and maybe think of a nice die for making some 7.62x54r...I got a feeling I'll be wanting to squish some jhp's for the long russian next year.

Vendor Sponsor

Reviving this thread with a bump. I need to experiment a bit more with this concept of using 9mms for 45 cal jackets. If I can perfect it to the point I can recamend it to my customers I'll start offering the necessary tools. Maybe someday I'll even have a 45acp to shoot some out of Even now I look at some of these things I've done and wonder how did I do that? Guess we better all start wrighting this stuff down before we forget. I must be getting old God help us if this server of castboolits ever takes a dump.... nock, nock, nock on wood! I shouldn't even say such things. Great bunch of info here.

Merry Christmas guys

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Anybody saving the webpages of interest to there HDD??

They can be viewed offline,,,,sure it eats a little space but sure beats writing it out longhand yea?

Just a thot!