Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: RD TL358-100-RF in 357 magnum

RD TL358-100-RF in 357 magnum

The title says it all...anybody ever tried this combo?

I have a Ruger SP101 with a 2.25" bbl to blast these babies out of...I'm seating them to crimp in the top lube/crimp groove for an OAL of 1.560" give or take a few thou for case length variation. Powder selection will include whatever pistol powders I have on hand: Bullseye, W231, Unique, HS-6, Bluedot and H-110.

I cracked open Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition to look for any loads that were vaguely similiar and found a 90gr Lyman LRN seated to 1.585" with 7.5gr/9.5gr of Bullseye for min/max. Another load listed is a Lee 105gr LSWC at the same length with 7.7/8.5gr listings for Bullseye. I was thinking about trying a starter charge of 7.5gr and working up towards 9.0gr and see how much/little the barrel leads.

Please chime in with your experiences and what you've tried!

P.S. my boolits are cast from an approximate 2 to 1 mix of range lead and wheelweights, they have all been waterquenched, sized to .358" and hit with two coats of Recluse 45/45/10. They shoot like a dream out of my S&W 380 Bodyguard.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Sounds like fun, keep us posted. I think your choice of BE is good and maybe Unique would work as well or better in the mag case.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    Jech I'm using the lee 105 for a fun little plinking round loaded over 4.5 of be for 900fps. I load in 357 cases using 38 loads. One of these days I will try the rd over the same.

happy shooting

Jech, I've loaded them with 3.8 grains of BE in a .38 and they work great. I have been thinking about seeing how fast they'll go before they start leading the barrel.

What is your oal with this boolit in the .380? When I load to .938" like RD posts in his load data they work in my LCP, but in my daughters Bodyguard I have to shorten the cartridge to .880". I e-mailed RD and the max charge of Unique drops from 4.5 grains to 3.7 grains when the boolit is seated this deep.

Boolit Master
    I have doubts about using blue dot or especially H-110 on a 100 grain bullet will work out for you.
    I think that bullseye , unique and W231 will be your friends.
    I'm not knowing about HS6.

I even tried WSF with 110 grain bulletsd in 38 cases and it was a total flop. The more powder I added , the slower the bullets went and velocities were all over the spectrum.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Thanks for all the replies so far. I tested out a range if 7.5gr to 9.2gr but it was a punishingly bright sunny day so my chronograph was completely useless. I saved about half of each of the 5 loads for later testing on an over cast day. I'm not holding my breath though. Oregon in August is usually desert condition. Sad face...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

boolit is too light for h-110 in my opinion unique or bullseye would be good, leaning toward unique. I put that s@#t under anything
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed