MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Enfield in 308, keep it or not?

Boolit Master
    For example, 7.62mm NATO ammunition that has been subjected to 125°F to -65°F storage conditions can have an average pressure that shall not exceed 55,000 CUP (Copper Units of Pressure).
    The U S Military allows up to 57,000 CUP maximum deviation for M118 LR.
    A number of Long Range target loads for the .308 exceed the max deviation of M80 Ball.

Not all 7.62 ammo is created equal, and same goes for the .308.
    Rifles proofed for use with 7.62 M80 ball or its interchangability equivalent may not be proofed to standards for either .308 or 7.62 Long Range ammunition.

The heavier the bullet the longer it will be unless given a thick body and round nose. When a longer bullet is loaded to the same OAL then effective powder space is reduced.

A long streamlined boat tail bullet will intrude into powder space more than a near cylindrical round nose bullet of the same weight. To achieve even the same velocity will require an increase in pressure. To achieve a significant increase in velocity will require an even greater increase, powder type being the same.
    Sometimes use of an alternative powder can allow extra high velocity with little or no increase in chamber pressure, at least if the cartridge company specs are accurate.

No.4 Rifles converted to 7.62 NATO in the late 50's or early 60's, including the L42 sniper rifles, were not proofed to euther SAAMI or CIP standards for the .308 Winchester.
    The NRA UK has banned use of converted No.4 rifles with the NRA supplied .308 long range target ammunition unless re-proofed to modern CIP standards.

Those converted No.4 rifles not re-proofed are limited to 3650 BAR which translates as 53,000 PSI by transducer measurement, far below the working pressure of either 7.62 M118 (52,000 CUP) or most .308 Long Range Match Grade Ammo.

Indian Ordnance Factory 7.62 Ball is NATO compliant with a pressure of 48,000 CUP-50,000 PSI.

Theres no direct correlation between any Copper Unit of Pressure measurement and any of the present Electronic Tranducers methods of measurement.
    Military organizations use the EPVAT standard for ammo marked as interchangable, with CUP as a sort of back up. M118 ammunition is tested only with CUP methods, no EPVAT PSI measurements are given in the manuals I've found so far.

As of yet I've seen no reliable information on the methods used to proof test the 2A rifles, only what appear to be wild guesses or third hand stories with no provenance.

I would expect that a rifle imported into Gret ritian would have to meet some proof requirements, but I've read in old Winchester literature that Winchester's commercial proof mark was accepted without question by British proof authorities. This was in relation to the Winchester 1895 rifles, and we now know that those rifles later proved to be unsuited to the pressures of some post WW1 .30-06 commercial ammunition and the military M1 Ball.

I'd be very leery of using any heavy bullet .308 or 7.62 ammunition in a 2A or converted No.4.

The Enforcer rifle built on a No.4 action is an exception. These were bulit using only hand picked and tested actions and all parts subjected to strenuous testing, more parts rejected than were used, and proofed to .308 commercial specs when new.
    The NRA UK allows the Enforcer to be used with any .308 or 7.62 ammo with pressures up to the max of 62,000 PSI, but only so long as the rifle has not been altered since leaving the factory, and its original proof marks are intact.

New pic.

Multigunner, you asked about the Charger Bridge? I posted a photo of what I think is the charger bridge.

(Not familar with that designation, is your rifle one of those that does not have the added Charger Bridge?
    I've heard that LE owners consider their actions stronger than the SMLE because the milled and drilled areas for the SMLE charger bridge are in exactly the wrong spots and take strength away from the left hand side wall, which is where SMLE action bodies have been known to crack if wet ammunition is fired.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0012 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	34423
    Last edited by twoworms; 07-25-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Details

Boolit Master

uote

[QUOTE=Multigunner;1344811]
    snip
    As of yet I've seen no reliable information on the methods used to proof test the 2A rifles, only what appear to be wild guesses or third hand stories with no provenance.

I would expect that a rifle imported into Gret ritian would have to meet some proof requirements, but I've read in old Winchester literature that Winchester's commercial proof mark was accepted without question by British proof authorities. This was in relation to the Winchester 1895 rifles, and we now know that those rifles later proved to be unsuited to the pressures of some post WW1 .30-06 commercial ammunition and the military M1 Ball.

I'd be very leery of using any heavy bullet .308 or 7.62 ammunition in a 2A or converted No.4.
    snip
    [Quote]

I'd certainly agree with being leery of using heavy bullet .308 in any 7.62 bolt rifle. There is an article, written by Robert J. Summerhill, on the web. In regard to the proof testing issue, he states the following:

"I send letters to several Proof Houses, and the Imperial War Museum in England along with letters and phone calls to the Consulates for India here in the U.S.A looking for a source of any records or arsenal workers that may still be alive when these rifles were made. I was able to receive data from one of the British Proof houses denoting just how strong these rifles are. The British government also made variations of the Enfield rifle in 7.62 x 51 mm for evaluation in the 50’s. The standard “Proof Load” for the British rifle in 7.62 x 51 mm is 29 tons per square inch on the low side and 31 tons per square inch on the high side. The Indian manufactured rifles passed the proof testing with no discernible problems what so ever. This translates into 58,000 and 62,000 pounds per square inch. These load are the standard proof load for all 7.62 x 51 mm rifles.( specifications changed in 1959 )"

Mr. Summerhill is/was a moderator over at the Surplus Rifle board. I don't know what you might think of his story, but here's the URL:

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...p?f=27&t=40340

In the discussion of the Ishapore 2A series rifles, I don't know why you also coincidentally refer to the No. 4 rifles which Britain, and others, had converted to 7.62. The Indian Arsenals did not get involved in that effort, perhaps because they never undertook production of the No. 4 rifles. We can agree that the conversion effort of No.4 actions was not particularly successful beyond hand picked examples.

Years ago, in a discussion of the 2A Ishapore rifles on the rec.guns Usenet newsgroup, a former Ordinance officer of the Indian Army (or someone alleging that status and quite knowledgeable about the rifles and development program) contributed a fairly lengthy item (for Usenet) on the issue of these rifles. I no longer recollect what, beyond specific metallurgy information, he contributed, but it struck me at the time that he dealt with a number of the common "facts" about the rifles in a manner which left no question as to the suitability of these rifles for common 7.62 and mid-weight .308 ammunition. I'm not inclined to go searching for a rec.guns article that old.

Obviously it would not be particularly bright to use heavy .308 loads in any rifle initially designed for 7.62 NATO spec ball ammunition. The 12" twist is good for the 140 to 175 grain weight range, but is lacking for anything heavier.

Boolit Master
    I had asked that about .303 Guy's LE 1*, not the 2A rifles.
    The LE rifles did not come from the factory with a charger guide bridge and the Charger Bridge of the SMLE is an add on rather than milled in part from the action body itself as the bridge of the No.4 rifle is.

Its been many years since I examined a 2A, and all I realy remember about these was that the action body had a slightly different look to it compared to the SMLE, but can't really say whether or not it was due to thicker sidewalls or some difference in the machining and finishing. Most were heavily painted at some point, so a true comparasion would require actions of each type stripped of paint and carefully measured.

So far as I know, no attempt to convert a SMLE to 7.62 NATO was sucessful, either attempts by the Australian military or by any professional or amatuer gunsmith.
    While the somewhat superior alloy used for the 2A rifle may be the sole cause of its sucess, I suspect they also made some changes in the machining processes. If not a change in the machining , perhaps the claims made for Vanadium alloys as being easier to machine precisely prevented the sort of too sharp corners and other errors which have caused component failures in many other rifle and pistol designs.
    Both SIG and Glock pistols and some FN manufactured rifles have had recalls due to a corner cut without radius leading to component failures. The lefthand lug on some FN bolts (don't know the year or serial number range) the slide of one model of SIG military handgun, and one guide rib of the early production .40 S&W Glock.
    Those problems were cured by recall of potentially defective parts and alteration of machining processes.

I've found little information on No.4 conversions, other than that some believed the No.4 MkI* is less likely to fail in proof testing, and that action body failures of Converted No.4 rifles usually involved cracking at the edges of the milled slot of the bolt release catch at the rear of the right hand ejection opening and rail.
    The SMLE and 2A rifles have a somewhat different bolt release catch, but are also milled for a similar slot in the same location.
    Simply ensuring the slot has a radiused corner may have prevented some potential difficulties.
    Something anyone interested in building their own rifle or pistol action should keep in mind.

India now produces a sporting rifle based on the SMLE action. If these were to be imported into the U S A , in calibers more recognized by U S shooters, I'm sure they would sell fairly well.
    As is the Indian sporting rifle is chambered for a rimmed 8mm cartridge with poor reputation for accuracy.
    Only recently have Indian law makers begun to consider taking the .303 cartridge off the restricted list. This came about in the aftermath of a murder trial in which the shooter used a police SMLE rifle. The defense argued against a mandatory death sentence for use of a proscribed weapon in a homocide, claiming the .303 should no longer be considered a military caliber. Problem there is that a number of .303 automatic weapons are still in use by the Indian military, and milspec ammunition is still produced for these weapons.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    I'd certainly agree with being leery of using heavy bullet .308 in any 7.62 bolt rifle. There is an article, written by Robert J. Summerhill, on the web. In regard to the proof testing issue, he states the following:

"I send letters to several Proof Houses, and the Imperial War Museum in England along with letters and phone calls to the Consulates for India here in the U.S.A looking for a source of any records or arsenal workers that may still be alive when these rifles were made. I was able to receive data from one of the British Proof houses denoting just how strong these rifles are. The British government also made variations of the Enfield rifle in 7.62 x 51 mm for evaluation in the 50’s. The standard “Proof Load” for the British rifle in 7.62 x 51 mm is 29 tons per square inch on the low side and 31 tons per square inch on the high side. The Indian manufactured rifles passed the proof testing with no discernible problems what so ever. This translates into 58,000 and 62,000 pounds per square inch. These load are the standard proof load for all 7.62 x 51 mm rifles.( specifications changed in 1959 )"
    Yet the proof mark on the L42 rifle bolthead is for 19 Long Tons, one half long ton greater than for the SMLE in .303 with a chamber pressure of 45,400 CUP.
    The proof marking on the rifles reflect the expected back thrust on the bolt face of a standard cartridge fired dry in the chamber under normal conditions.
    A proof mark of 19 LT translates to a back thrust of 42,560 pounds, what you could expect from a standard 144 grain 7.62 British version of the interchangable NATO Ball with chamber pressure of 48,000 CUP, under normal conditions with dry oil free chamber.
    Had the L42 been proofed at 31 Long Tons it would not now be neccessary to have these rifles re proofed.

BTW
    India had been independent of Britian for more than a decade when the 2A rifles were built.
    Another common story about proof testing of the 2A during wartime was that they simply fired ten standard ball cartridges from each as they came off the line then shipped them out.
    How true either story is would be hard to prove.

In the discussion of the Ishapore 2A series rifles, I don't know why you also coincidentally refer to the No. 4 rifles which Britain, and others, had converted to 7.62. The Indian Arsenals did not get involved in that effort, perhaps because they never undertook production of the No. 4 rifles. We can agree that the conversion effort of No.4 actions was not particularly successful beyond hand picked examples.
    The reason so many 7.62 Conversion kits for the No.4 were available to civilians some years ago was due to India having once ordered thousands of these kits then renegged on the deal, leaving Sterling with a warehouse full of unsold kits.
    No other military showed any interest in these either.
    India apparently did have a large number of No.4 rifles at her disposal at that time.

The L42 rifles were very accurate and adequately strong for the 144 gr Ball. In later years when the Metropolitan Police leased L42 rifles from the MOD, they found a third of the rifles supplied were badly degraded and judged by police armorers to be unsafe to fire. I suspect those rifles were damaged by use of ammunition other than the recommended 144 grain Ball ammunition, the Military armorers trying to pass these culls along to the Police to get them off their books.

The result was the Police then contracted for purpose built .308 rifles, the "Enforcer".

Obviously it would not be particularly bright to use heavy .308 loads in any rifle initially designed for 7.62 NATO spec ball ammunition. The 12" twist is good for the 140 to 175 grain weight range, but is lacking for anything heavier.
    The Iron sights would also be regulated for the standard infantry ball as well.

If I owned a Winchester Model 1895 in .30-06 I would not use ammunition that generated more than the 48,000 CUP of WW1 era .30-06 Ball ammunition.
    If I owned one of the modern manufactured replicas of the 1895, I'd still be leery of ammo generating more than 48,000 CUP. These may or may not have been made using a superior alloy, but the design and proportions of the load bearing parts remain the same. I have heard of some of these replicas not holding up well to the hottest modern loads for the .30-06.

I can't think of a single reason why I'd subject a 40+ year old Milsurp rifle that had seen unknown abuse in the past to any load even a tad hotter than the loads it was intended to use when manufactured.

I'm taking all this in. At least one of my Lee Enfields has seen a lot of use. The barrel which appears not to be the original is worn large, not rusted large. That's my BSA&M which I now know to stand for Birmingham Small Arms & Metal Co.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Multigunner wrote "India apparently did have a large number of No.4 rifles at her disposal at that time."

I found a single reference to a No.4 in Indian service doing a quick search. This was a listing on "Enfield Stuff" of a `March 1943 Fazakerly No 4 Mark 1 with an Indian Navy hang tag marked "Bombay Naval Stores". Apparently the Indian Navy had some unknown number of No 4s, probably obtained British surplus after the war.

http://www.enfield-stuff.com/regimen...ueue_India.htm see Rifle #241

In searching the small arms of the Indian Army, I found no mention of the No 4. In listings of producers of the No 4 rifles, there is no listing of GRI/post 1949 RFI production of No 4 rifles, though the Pakistan Ordinance Factory (POF) is listed as a production facility for the No 4.

According to Stratton (British Enfield Rifles, Lee-Enfield No. 4 and No. 5 Rifles, Vol. 2 [For Collectors Only], Charles R. Stratton), Sterling Armaments produced "several thousand" conversion kits for the No 4 and "a handful" for the No 5 rifles, with the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield also producing kits - though no information as to number or whether they ever sold these on the civilian market (P 173). I guess the Enfield kits might have all been used in the L8 and L42 rifle conversions. I could find no information on the number of Sterling No 4 conversion kits available for sale in the US, or any information about such sales at all. Some number must have come into the country, since there were a few individuals asking about rifles they had which were apparently, or known to be, converted with Sterling kits. If thousands came to the US (if Stratton is correct, this would apparently have constituted something close to all of the kits), the importer must have been stuck with a large number of the kits, else I would expect there to have been more references of people asking about .308 Enfields (other than 2As) on the various boards. I found a couple of info requests by people looking for a "Sterling Kit", though one turned out to be someone looking for an imported Sterling sub-gun kit.

Multigunner wrote: "I had asked that about .303 Guy's LE 1*, not the 2A rifles."

I haven't a clue as to when I might have mistakenly included any commentary involving this, or was this a response to somone else? Perhaps I'm just confused as it seems both you and 303guy might be responding to some parts of what I have written, or to each other, or both. Without consistent quoting, advancing CRS means I'm unable to keep up.
    Last edited by Ed in North Texas; 07-26-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: correct erroneous paragraph sequence

Boolit Master
    I haven't a clue as to when I might have mistakenly included any commentary involving this, or was this a response to somone else?
    I was composing a reply to the post by two worms above your post
    Multigunner, you asked about the Charger Bridge? I posted a photo of what I think is the charger bridge.
    when you posted, this is why I posted twice in a row, one a reply to him the other a reply to you.
    I should have quoted his post first to avoid confusion.

Quite a few of the No.4 (T) rifles were sent to India during WW2, India did not manufacture the No.4 but some were apparently sent there during the war or later.
    Not nearly as many as the number of SMLE rifles in service of course.
    There was such a shortage of rifles to equip Indian troops early on that the British bought 30,000 Darra built SMLE copies for use as Drill Rifles.
    The British supplied allies with both No.1 and No.4 rifles, and even supplied Remington manufacture 1903 Springfields to New Zealand for use in training till sufficient supplies of Enfield rifles could be secured.

IIRC India had negotiated for 60,000 7.62 Converted No.4 rifles, and I'm pretty sure these were kits manufactured by Sterling. Whether they intended that Sterling do the Conversions in England or send the kits to India is not clear. Whichever was the case Sterling ended up stuck with thousands of unsold conversion kits. Whether they had manufactured the entire lot of 60,000 or not before the cancelation is also unclear.

I had written
    The reason so many 7.62 Conversion kits for the No.4 were available to civilians some years ago
    I did not make any guess about the number of those kits sold in the U S, civilians in the Commonwealth bought some. I've found nothing to indicate that any non UK military considered using converted No.4 rifles as combat rifles, and aside from the L42 the British used no converted No.4 rifles as combat rifles.

Sterling conversion kits were advertised for sale in the Shotgun News back in the late 80's or early 90's. I had considered buying one of those kits at the time. How many that particular importer had in stock at that time is not known to me, enough that they were advertised for sale in that publication.

PS
    I have no idea how many No.4 rifles were used by India, but I do remember that a stocking up method for the No.4 was developed in India during the 1950's, after Indepence was declared. This was a fix for No.4 (T) rifles that later became an accepted bedding method for No.4 rifles used in Service Rifle matches in the UK.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 07-26-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Multigunner;1345511]I was composing a reply to the post by two worms above your post

when you posted, this is why I posted twice in a row, one a reply to him the other a reply to you.

Thanks, that helps.

I should remember the SGN ads, I subscribed most of the years since the days of the "yellow cover". But I don't. Guess I was too pre-occupied with work at the time (or lacked interest in a conversion).

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Ed in North Texas;1345723]
    Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    I was composing a reply to the post by two worms above your post

Thanks, that helps.

I should remember the SGN ads, I subscribed most of the years since the days of the "yellow cover". But I don't. Guess I was too pre-occupied with work at the time (or lacked interest in a conversion).

I don't think these were advertised for long, they either sold out fast or the company may have found a bulk buyer, possibly sold off to a UK or Commonwealth end user.

I'd asked around about the Sterling conversions at the time, but 7.62 conversions of the No.4 were not well thought of here.
    The general objection was that it would be a waste to convert a No.4 still in very good to excellent condition, and using a well worn No.4 action might be hazardous and would not give best results so it would be a poor deal all the way around.
    7.62 NATO ammo of good quality was no cheaper than recently manufactured .303 milspec ammunition, and there just wasn't any appreciable increase in power unless loads judged too hot for the converted rifles were used.
    I remember one article on the subject where a UK target shooter mentioned that the most accurate .308 long range target hand loads duplicated the MkVII ballistics.

Also IIRC some of the Sterling kits offered consisted of barrel and bolt heads only, no magazines, the magazines being sold separately. This would have effectively made these single shot or increased the cost of conversion once cost of magazine was added.

When checking out how well a stock .303 magazine handled rimless cartridges, I found that unaltered mags could handle the 7X57 cartridge just fine, and these were stripped by the bolt as well as .303 cartridges. The unmodified extractor of my No.4 ejected rimless cases just fine.
    I then considered a 7X57 conversion, but by that time I'd polished the slightly pitted and dinged up .303 bore and found a very accurate load for it. I'd also replaced the worn bolt body and bolt head so headspace and case life are no longer a concern.

Ooh boy! You shouldna have mentioned 7x57 in a Lee Enfield. Now you got me all interested! It seemed to me to be a do-able and possibly optimum combination (providing the old chamber pressures were adhered to). I thought about a 7x57R too as being about perfect. Problem is, I'm having enough trouble giving all my Lee Enfields a turn as it is.

Keep it they are very good guns and have an excellent build quality in my opinion.
    My gun collection - 1943 russian m91/30, 1953 polish m44 mosin nagant , 1915 swedish m96 mauser, 1916 m95 styer stuzan carbine, 1942 australin no.1 mkIII lee enfield, 1994 wasr 10/63 akm, 1968 chinese type 56 sks, browning medallion .270, mossberg 500 persauder, and a henry golden boy .22.

My Ishie came with a hang tag stating to shoot only 7.62 NATO. I never did shoot the thing but was going to load some plinkers with a 150gr cast and 10gr of Unique, but alas I sold it.

Boolit Man
    Just a point on Long Lee's and MkVII ammo. during the early parts of WW1, SMLE production was having a hard time keeping up with the expansion of the army. Long Lee's were issued to many units. And MkVII ammo was used. I once knew a veteran who was issued a Long Lee in 1915.
    Now the funny bit, when he emigrated to the U.S. he had not bothered to collect his medals. Put him in touch with the medal office and he got them. Of course Now his family has them as he passed away. Even MkVIII ammunition which used a boat tailed bullet for machine guns was only 100FPS faster than MkVIII and was authorized for use in rifles when flash supression was a requirement

That 100fps faster translates into quite a bit more energy requiring quite a bit more pressure. With modern powders that 100fps can be achieved with no increase in pressure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bydand View Post
    Just a point on Long Lee's and MkVII ammo. during the early parts of WW1, SMLE production was having a hard time keeping up with the expansion of the army. Long Lee's were issued to many units. And MkVII ammo was used. I once knew a veteran who was issued a Long Lee in 1915.
    Now the funny bit, when he emigrated to the U.S. he had not bothered to collect his medals. Put him in touch with the medal office and he got them. Of course Now his family has them as he passed away. Even MkVIII ammunition which used a boat tailed bullet for machine guns was only 100FPS faster than MkVIII and was authorized for use in rifles when flash supression was a requirement
    There were some problems with feeding when MkVII was used in the LE.
    Some outfits reported that jams were so common that they could only use their rifles as single loaders.
    MkVI ammo was used almost exclusively by the Australians , the SMLE rifles originally were intended for use with MkVI ammo, and bores were originally reverse taper lapped to reduce bullet drag in an attempt to get the same velocity when using MkVI from the shorter SMLE barrel as when fired from the longer LE barrel. Accuracy suffered but replacement unlapped barrels were not made available till 1917.
    Barrels throated for the MkVII were marked SC and HV, for Short Cone and High Velocity.
    Rifles originally proofed for the MkVI and earlier marks were proofed for 16.5 Long Tons back thrust, rifles proofed for the MkVII were proofed for 18.5 LT back thrust. A number of proof test cartridges were in inventory, these had a "Q" designation.
    Besides the standard proof cartridges , used both dry and oiled, there were cartridges used to proof barrels before assembly. The pressures used to test barrels were much higher than the pressures used to proof the action assembly.
    Barrels were proofed before use because a crack near the breech of a barrel could split an otherwise good action.

While catastrophic failure during proof firing was rare, a proofed action that exhibited warping of the bolt body, spreading of rear receiver walls, or stretching of the action body would be condemned. Even noticable binding of the bolt was cause to condemn the action on the spot.

MkVIIz ammunition had the same reduced flash as MkVIIIz.
    MkVIIIz was approved for use in the No.4 only when supplies of MkVII or MkVIIz ran low.
    According to Reynolds he was once asked to test fire a No.4 rifle that had proved wildy innaccurate when MkVIIIz was substituted for MkVII.
    The rifle had proven remarkably accurate with MkVII printing consistent 4" 200 yard groups. When MkVIIIz was used the rifle keyholed every shot and barely got on paper.
    The cause was cordite erosion of the throat and leade. Open Flat base bullets could bump up well enough to seal, boat tail bullets don't bump up enough to avoid bullet jacket damage due to blow by.

Chamber pressures of 48,000 CUP when using MkVIIIz were far less of a problem than very wide maximum deviations in pressures of much of the wartime production ammunition.
    While an average pressure of 48,000 CUP might only cause increased wear, pressure spikes of as much as 60,000 CUP were not unknown when MkVIIIz was used in extremely hot climates.
    A veteran posted on another board that when coming back from long range patrols they often disposed of unused MG ammunition that had been exposed to desert sun and bounced about in ammo cans in armored vehicles.
    RAF tests of ammunition crates on the Indian Nortwestern Frontier found that ammo cans exposed to direct sunlight reached temperatures of 160+ degrees F.
    Heat in North Africa could be much worse.

PS
    According to several sources far more ammunition was condemned and destroyed in the field than was ever used in combat in either world war..

Suspect ammunition could not be trusted in combat. Some suspect ammunition was sent to Machine Gun training schools. Ammo that caused a high incidence of jams and other failures gave trainees the opportunity to learn to deal with jams and parts replacements quickly, which served them well in combat.
    Headspace of training MGs was often loosened to increase likelyhood of unexpected case separations, so trainees could learn to deal with this in the field.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 07-29-2011 at 10:08 PM.

The machinegun ammo I had used hollow and externally fluted sticks of cordite. Would that be the "Z" ammo? Faster burn due to higher surface area? I don't recall it being boat tailed but it had an aluminium nose core and the bullet was 175gr, not 174gr and it clocked 2550fps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    The machinegun ammo I had used hollow and externally fluted sticks of cordite. Would that be the "Z" ammo? Faster burn due to higher surface area? I don't recall it being boat tailed but it had an aluminium nose core and the bullet was 175gr, not 174gr and it clocked 2550fps.
    If the ammo you used contained cordite strands it was neither MkVIIIz nor MkVIIz. The small z is actually a sideways N intended to designate use of single base Nitro-Cellulose propellent.
    Nitro-Cellulose powders often come in the form of short extruded tube like grains, a tiny fraction of the length of cordite strands, cordite strands are usually long enough to reach from the flash hole of the case head to the shoulder of the case.
    Cordite normally is topped by a glazeboard card, nitrocellulose does not need an over the charge card.

the MkVIII bullet is a rebated boat tail bullet, though some equivalent MG loads use a standard non rebated boat tail bullet.
    I have seen references to a cordite loaded MkVIII ammunition, but since without the card cordite erodes bores at six times the rate of the same load with the card, I can only assume this was either a short lived experiment or a special purpose load of some sort.
    I have heard of cordite loaded ammo without the card being used for synchronized aerial guns, at least when relatively fragile wooden propellors could be damaged by the ejected card at high velocities. The vitrified card could carch the grain of a wooden propellor and initiate a split. The card could also score any surface finish or doped fabric overlay, and possibly blow back into the face of a pilot or gunner of an open cockpit aircraft or be drawn into the engine intakes or oil cooler.
    Contrary to what some may think, the card is not consumed by the high temperature gases. NG/NC propellents such as cordite produce only a slight bit more oxygen than they consume. The super heated card cannot combust until it reaches open air. The same applies to shotgun card wads.

Card wads are worthless when boat tail bullets are used, to seal against blowby the card must be used with a flat base bullet.

Both MkVII and MkVIIz ammunition were used by MGs for any but ultra long range fire.
    Barrels used with MkVIIz or MkVIIIz were marked , barrels that had fired more than a few hundred rounds of cordite ammo could not be trusted to handle ammo loaded with nitrocellulose with any degree of long range accuracy.
    A barrel only slightly eroded by cordite could ,if MkVIIIz were then used, suddenly begin dropping short rounds among friendly troops.
    Barrels used with MkVIIz or MkVIIIz could still handle MkVII ammunition with a fair degree of accuracy.

The gas system of the BREN Gun was modified to allow use with MkVII ammunition, the gas port moved nine inches closer to the chamber. It was intended that only MkVII ammo be used with the BREN Gun, but the brighter muzzle flash of cordite gave away the gunners positions in low light actions, so the use of MkVIIIz was officially authorized for use in low light or at night by 1943.
    No effective flash suppressant was possible for cordite.
    This was an on going problem for Royal Navy vessels, the bright flash allowing the enemy to pinpoint their positions. A "Flashless" propellent was devised.

Attempts to further modify cordite for rifle use failed, newer less erosive versions of cordite would not pass through the machinery used to form the strands for rifle sized cordite.

Banned
    i couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with my ishapore, it was stamped 65, and it shot about 5 foot high at 100 yards and i couldnt get it to group with Jacketed let alone boolits.... but my dads sporterized enfield is a swell gun its Minute of clay pigeon at 200 yards

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Link23 View Post
    i couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with my ishapore, it was stamped 65, and it shot about 5 foot high at 100 yards and i couldnt get it to group with Jacketed let alone boolits.... but my dads sporterized enfield is a swell gun its Minute of clay pigeon at 200 yards
    A BSA SMLE belonging to a friend would hit several feet high. I took a look at it and saw it had handguards with the legs cut off, a common method of dealing with broken hand guard legs.

The missing legs meant there was nothing to prevent the rear handguard from shifting forwards under recoil. His rear sight was being held up by the handguard so it was shooting very high.
    I trimmed the wood there to prevent further interference and it shot fine after that.

Some rear guards fit well enough that they won't shift forwards even if without the legs, others have a lot of slack in the fit.

When I ordered a rear handguard with legs intact to match a front guard with legs intact that I'd been given to use in restoring my SMLE the rear guard I received was an Indian made piece. Very nice wood, but not very well made. One side of the wood was high just under the rear sight, preventing the sight from coming all the way down against the bed. I noticed this right off amd trimmed it properly before installing it.