RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: 358311 standard pressure loads...help

Boolit Mold

358311 standard pressure loads...help

I have been working for several months to find an accurate load for this bullet at standard pressure 38 loads. I have tried Unique and it shot well with 5 grains, but that is a little warm for a Colt Diamondback. I have used Red Dot and Accurate Arms #2, but haven't had much luck with these powders. Anyone have a pet load for the old 358311 with standard load 38 Special pressures?

Boolit Grand Master

Try 3.5, 3.8 & 4 gr Bullseye.

Larry Gibson

I like HP38 or WW 231.

Best, Rick

Boolit Buddy
    4.0 WW 231/HP-38
    3.5 Bullseye

358111 is the most accurate bullet I have ever fired in my various 38 Special pistols. Drop your Unique load down to 4.5 grains and you will be fine in your Colt D frame. I used 5.5 grains of AA5 which is a standard pressure load, but 5 grains works as well.

I use 4.5 grains of Unique for everyday shooting and 5 for top end. AA5 which is a little slower gets 5 and 5.5 for the same purposes. I like both Unique and AA5 allot for standard velocity loads in 38 Special, 45 ACP, 44 Special and 45 Colt. For target loads I like Bullseye.

I guess I am old fashion as the old Hercules powders (Bullseye,Unique and 2400) are my go too powders for handguns. I use AA5 because I bought 16 pounds of it a few years back and like it just fine, but when it is gone it won't be replaced.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 07-15-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    358111 is the most accurate bullet I have ever fired in my various 38 Special pistols. Drop your Unique load down to 4.5 grains and you will be fine in your Colt D frame. I used 5.5 grains of AA5 which is a standard pressure load, but 5 grains works as well.

Even more accurate than a traditional 148 grain WC bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Even more accurate than a traditional 148 grain WC bullet?
    Yes..There are several bullets designs more accurate than the WC. The WC was designed to cut a clean hole in the paper target, as if a bullets cuts the line, the shooter gets the higher score. Accuracy was not the WC's prime attribute.

The HBWC us more accurate than the solid base as the hollow bases moved the center of weight forward, much like a shuttle cock. Past 50 yards WCs of all kinds lose their stability.

There are several designs that deliver better accuracy than the WC either solid or hollow base. 385311 is the best I have ever used. Matt's Bullets cast this bullets and I have 1,000 in transit to me. I also have another 1,000 358477s on their way aslo. His prices are so good, I don't feel like firing up the pot.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    Yes..There are several bullets designs more accurate than the WC. The WC was designed to cut a clean hole in the paper target, as if a bullets cuts the line, the shooter gets the higher score. Accuracy was not the WC's prime attribute.

The HBWC us more accurate than the solid base as the hollow bases moved the center of weight forward, much like a shuttle cock. Past 50 yards WCs of all kinds lose their stability.

There are several designs that deliver better accuracy than the WC either solid or hollow base. 385311 is the best I have ever used. Matt's Bullets cast this bullets and I have 1,000 in transit to me. I also have another 1,000 358477s on their way aslo. His prices are so good, I don't feel like firing up the pot.
    I shoot the 358311 & the 358495...IMHO the later (WC) is more accurate out to 100' for plinking... One can use a bit less powder and the full caliber nose punches wood, stones, & cans like no other type can do. Also shoots superbly well in my Marlin 1894C Carbine. Don't get me wrong, hard to beat the 358311, but I've found the 358495 to be a better choice...for me.

Everybody need to use what works for them.

Boolit Grand Master

3.0 Clays is excellent, very clean and cheap.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the responses. Have loaded up several cases with 3.5 and 4.0 grains of Bullseye, since I had some availiable. Will let everyone know how they shoot once I get the chance to tets them.

Boolit Bub
    3.5 gr of Trail Boss under the 358311 has been a good load for me. Accurate and very low recoil.