RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: ringed barrel due lube?

ringed barrel due lube?

Just wondering

the old myth was if any oil, grease, water was in a rifle bore upon firing, ringing would be the result.

yet, some have commented about swabbing the bore with a lube soaked mop to grease from end to end, and shooting just fine.....

has that myth been debunked?

Most of the legitimate sources I've read indicate that even modest amounts of grease or water can lead to trouble. In the old days when American Riflemen was actually full of real engineering articles, there were examples given from actual experience and sometimes controlled tests. IMHO a barrel treated with RIG should definitely be cleaned before shooting. One treated with, say, Ed's Red or Hoppes', maybe not, but using a few pulls of a bore snake takes so little time that I do it anyway, except for the ones I shoot every week.
    Last edited by uscra112; 07-04-2011 at 09:49 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    It depends upon the amount of grease or whatever. I would have no trouble with a light lube coating on the metal but not a heavy layer. A few drop of LLA on a patch run thru the bore would be fine, a sopping wet bore mop not so much. If you followed the bore mop with a single dry patch it would probably be ok.
    Like everything else in life, moderation is a good thing.

That is a new "old myth" for me. You don't want to shoot a firearm with an obstruction in the barrel, but a light to moderate coat of lube, oil, water or whatever does not constitute a barrel obstruction.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah... after reading others experiences on here, I have to think that it IS a myth.

I understand the light vs heavy lubing...

I guess the theory was the lube was pushed ahead of the bullet until eventually there was too much and the bullet would overrun it and a ring would form...

probably would happen with too much, but I can believe now that a light coating will cause no harm.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    That is a new "old myth" for me. You don't want to shoot a firearm with an obstruction in the barrel, but a light to moderate coat of lube, oil, water or whatever does not constitute a barrel obstruction.
    That's the way I see it too.

Gear

Banned

I dont buy it.

Hatcher mentions this in his notebook and debunks it. As a kid we were told a spider or water, grease etc in the bore would blow a high powered rifle. I think some of this starts from a guy making a big mistake and not being able to admit it so there must have been a spider in the barrel or something is his excuse.

I use Eds Red to clean and protect. A good wet patch followed by one dry will leave the dry patch with a little ER on it. The bore is sure to have a film left and that is my aim. I have never found this to be any problem and first shot smears are not there anymore.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

I use the Ed's Red protection routine as well, and find a clearing shot is generally "off" by a bit to the subsequent shots. I have somewhat the same experience with any fresh barrel.