Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: returning the eaa witness 10mm for repair

bhn22
    The likelihood of finding a reamer that exactly matches your original chamber diameter is small. Add to this the fact that every Para barrel I've seen has been fitted poorly at the factory. I'd suggest buying a replacement barrel & fitting it yourself. Why risk a compound chamber cut on a barrel that will probably let you down anyway?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    The likelihood of finding a reamer that exactly matches your original chamber diameter is small. Add to this the fact that every Para barrel I've seen has been fitted poorly at the factory. I'd suggest buying a replacement barrel & fitting it yourself. Why risk a compound chamber cut on a barrel that will probably let you down anyway?
    well i have shot the gun as a 40 and it works well.inspite of your experiences, mine haqve been good with para.
    i have had no issues recutting chambers with a reamer different than the original maker(maybe) when the chamber was a std caliber...30'06 308,223......

i expect none with this bbl also......

time will tell......

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    called eaa again today, left a message, and will wait for a reply. its only a bit past the 3 month window i was quoted..

mike in co

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    got a call this am from the repair section of eaa.
    the gun needs a new slide.....
    but no slides in stock in my color......
    three month wait or accept a mismatched color...
    ( would you accept a blue hood on your brand new grey truck...cause the dealer only had blue in stock)

so will wait another three months and see what happens...

mike in co

Boolit Grand Master
    sorry to hear of the troubles with the gun and company
    just refreshes my notion of not doing business with tha company
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    I dunno Mike; …….You are far and away the most patient person I have ever encountered!

The one Unforgivable Sin that a “working” weapon can commit is failing to go “BANG” on demand. Even if EAA finally comes through on their promises, could you ever REALLY trust your life to it, in light of everything that has happened? (…You have to understand that with my Irish ancestry, I have a deep and abiding respect for “Murphy”!)

I used to have an old, "Plain Jane" Colt Commander in .45 ACP. It had been “Ramped and Polished” to the point where it would RELIABLY feed and chamber EMPTY brass.

……….THAT weapon I trusted!

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Moderator Emeritus

They were at the SHOT Show all last week. Did you talk to them there? That was your golden opportunity, since you said you were going to be there. Mr. Tanfoglio was also there, but he was busy when I stopped at the Tanfoglio booth.

Fred

Boolit Master
    I own six EAA Witnesses, or more correctly Tanfoglio pistols.

Four are chambered for .41 action express, two are .38 super. I like them, thought the Witness Elite in .38 Super needs to stay away from ammunition with huge hollowpoints to feed reliably.

Boolit Master
    i own the older cz75 copies in 9 and 40...one of the reasons i bought this one...

i went by the booth but was busy with other stuff.........

i'm very paitient...since i got the para.........

mike in co

Boolit Master
    the gun was returned today..that would be just over FIVE MONTHS.

THE ORIGINAL CLAIM THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO REPLACE THE SLIDE PROVED FALSE.

THEY REPLACED ALL FOUR MAGS...AND GAVE ME A FIFTH FOR THE HASSLE.

the repair tags some fitting was done to the bbl and the gun test fired......

suppose i will shoot it one day soon and get out a final report

mike in co

Boolit Buddy
    I have had best feeding with the Remington 180 golden saber.

Boolit Master
    range time today
    180's at about 1200 fps
    they seent 5 new mags
    three of the five had no stopages...two did.
    one nose dive one semi stovepipe on a loaded round...
    reshot those two mags...still had stopages.
    will use them for practice i guess
    remeber the gun does only have about 3-400 rds thru it at this point.
    lfe should be bettter past 500.....
    end of posts.....
    mike in co

Boolit Master
    slide cracked today. aprox 400 rounds
    will ask for a 40 or a 45 as a replacement
    i have no faith in the 10mm version of this gun

mike in co

Sounds like EAA isn't gun advertised or you have a lemon. I know your most patient man and i am afraid i would have lost my cool with them long ago. Wish you the best in your problems.

Banned

buddy bought some fancy 9mm target gun from them and it would run for **** with the mags supplied either. He complained to them and there answer was to buy aftermarket mags for it. Not the answer i would have accepted but he did and his is running fine with the new mags. At least for now. I told him id be a nervous puppy with a gun like that and a service dept with an attitude like that. Right up there with the fine service a guy gets from tarrus

Boolit Buddy
    I got hold of a new poly-frame/metal-slide Witness in 10mm. It's been a pretty good gun. No FTFs, but it took a bit of work to get two spare mags. Finally got them though.
    EAA couldn't seem to get them...Henning did.
    I decided to get either a .40 gun (all metal) or a .40 barrel. I couldn't even contact EAA. I was really down on their service. I figured Tanfo would be getting a new distributor. I waited a little more than a year. The gun was in constant use.... being shot, not just carried.
    Then...I tried again to get a .40 barrel. A week later, I was at the range with my new Tanfo barrel, and enjoying myself, pouring ammo downrange.
    I'm very happy with the Witness, and am trying to get one of the competition models, prolly a "Stock II", thinking that it SHOULD be more accurate.
    I've run about 5k through the 10mm, and 2k through the .40. The .40 feeds best at about 1.17" through the 10mm mag, and with a Lee 175gr TC. The max COAL with my barrel, is 1.20", and it goes through the magazine just fine, but I like a little more clearance, just in case.
    I load it to around 1150fps, but I won't tell the load because of the longer COAL that I use. I don't want someone using those loads in a standard 1.09" round.
    There's been some changes in EAA's service, and it's for the better.
    Have fun,
    Gene

Dude....you need to take a trip to where ever those things are made and insert yours into someone's rectum. I'm glad you started this post, I know that I will never own an EAA. I like the way they feel, too. I shot one a couple times in my IPSC days 10 years ago. I'm glad I learned to love the 1911.
    If you want 10mm power in an auto, why not look into the 460 Rowland?

Boolit Buddy
    I did a lot of reading about those and if I remember correctly, it seems like it takes the mags a while before they function OK. Might want to leave them loaded for a while and I also read about replacing one of the springs, don't remember which one. I had one of these but never fired it.
    Anything that produces some sort of an explosion, can't be all bad.

44minimum

Boolit Buddy
    My experience has been very different with this company. I ordered a new EAA Witness in 10-mm with an interchangeable 38 super top, about 3 years ago. There was a defect with a magazine catch, as it was difficult to snap the magazine in place, and they also would fall out of the pistol.

I called the company in Florida, and I returned it for repairs; it was in my hands within 3 weeks and has functioned perfectly ever since. I have never had a misfire or misfeed using plated bullets, factory HPs, and most importantly, cast bullets from several group buys on this site.

In spite of my small to medium hands, the grip is arranged in such a way that a 15 round 10-mm or 18 round 38 super magazine do not interfere in any way with, and in fact, enhance shooting. For me, there is no comparison between the grip on this pistol and the Glock, and its magazine capacity is superior to all of the 1911 versions. Speaking of shooting, the function in 10-mm and 38 super has been superb. I used a 197 gr Lee GB from several years back that was meant to be a compromise for 38-40 and 10 mm users, and I believe that neither side was satisfied. That's a shame, because I got excellent results with this ugly bullet and its flat point in both of those calibers. I also have had very good luck with truncated cone versions, both from the 6 cavity factory Lee mold , and a light weight GB that we did here. Accuracy has been better than I can hold, and loads exceeding 1100 fps made of AC WW with a little added tin, lubed with LBT Blue, leave a clean bore. I am also ashamed to admit that I have not yet tried out my copy of Miha's 40 Cramer HP, but based on my experience with his other molds I am confident that it will shine as well.

Brian Pearce, in Handloader 253, pp 42-43, gives loads exceeding 1350 fps with 180 gr jacketed bullets and exceeding 1200 fps with 200 gr. Jacketed bullets. I do not feel the need to quite load to this level, but with 15 slightly less powerful rounds in the magazine, in a perfectly reliable, accurate automatic pistol, I feel that I am going about well armed.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of Whinesses with no issues and a friend of mine has two also with no issues. I did buy a new Sig Mosquito 22 that was constantly having failure to eject/failure to feed issues. I called them and they said send it back and they would fix it. I did not want to pay the freight so I took it back to the dealer I bought it from. He had me write up what was wrong and I did and finished it with a statement that for a reputable manufacturer the pistol was a hugh disappointment and the worst handgun I ever bought. I came back in a week with a note saying that they had reamed to barrel and test fired. Now it works like it should.

Boolit Master
    gentlemen and ladies,
    after some discussion with the eaa folks, the gun was returned last week. they recieved it on monday. we had asked the the upper be replaced with a 45 acp upper( common frames) and some swap on the 5 mags for 45acp mags. ideal situtation was a wonder finish upper, but we knew they only advertised blued finish .
    today is thursday, and the gun is in my hands. blued 45acp upper(4.9" vs the original 4.5...good for the 45acp). it does not look bad at all.
    they swapped out all 5 mags for 45 mags. they uppgraded the rear sight to a adjustable target , added ambi safety, and added wood grips.....all upgrades.
    i think this is satisfactory...i would have perfered a working 10mm, but will just continue working on the para 40 conversion.
    again i have other eaa's and not issues...its a shame this ended this way, but i'll survive.
    mike in co