MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 308 Russian Mauser???

Boolit Buddy
    The rim on the 54s sticks out and the 51s are straight. Do not think it would eject properly or reliably. Just picked up a sporterized Nagant and he tossed in a box of 80 grain ammo. I thought I had bought some weird caliber but when I tried the standard 54Rs in it they chambered perfectly. Had never seen any 80 gn 54 ammo before. Like another said--do not think I want to be behind the rifle when the striker falls--lol.

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    I worked with a guy that was in Viet Nam in the war and he said that he didn't know how they did it but, the Viet Cong would use 7.62 in their Mosins. The Viet Cong would find ammo or steal it and fire it.
    So that's the source of the thing I've heard from Nam Vets. Often they'd say the Viet Cong could use our ammo, and thinking of 5.56 and 7.62 vs 7.62x39, I was always thinking, "he doesn't know what he's talking about". The Mosin didn't even cross my mind.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    So that's the source of the thing I've heard from Nam Vets. Often they'd say the Viet Cong could use our ammo, and thinking of 5.56 and 7.62 vs 7.62x39, I was always thinking, "he doesn't know what he's talking about". The Mosin didn't even cross my mind.
    I know a vet who says he put a whole case of NATO ammo thru a Moisin while he was "in country", and I suppose the cases held together, as he has both his eyes...

If he made it outta there, he's got better luck than I do, I'm not going to push mine. No doubt GI ball, thick case, slightly undersized bullet, not enough pressure to break things loose. But with my luck...
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    Nanuk,

The 440 round spam can for $85 comes out to less than $4/box of 20.
    The Wolf Gold $16/ box of 20 has reloadable brass.
    A local shop in my area sells Winchester primed brass in that caliber for $0.50 each, or at least they did the last time I was in there. It's been a while.

Jim, no one ships loaded rounds or even components unless you pay the big fees. isn't worth is unless you deal in it by the 10,000's

best we can do up here is about $0.50 per steel cased loaded

or new brass for reloading is around $0.80 each....

then shipping and taxes....

In Remembrance

I found him some ammo at the local gun shop. Softnose bullets in a steel case at $13.20 per box of 20. That will let him do some deer hunting.

Boolit Grand Master

A "whole case" of 7.62 NATO.....he must have post traumatic stress just from trying to feed, extract and eject those from a MN...........most of the MNs i tried that with (never fired the round) were a severe PITA with just 3 - 4 cartridges.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    A "whole case" of 7.62 NATO.....he must have post traumatic stress just from trying to feed, extract and eject those from a MN...........most of the MNs i tried that with (never fired the round) were a severe PITA with just 3 - 4 cartridges.

Larry Gibson
    He sez that the cases swelled enough that the groove caught the extractor. He just likes to do things differently; he also owns the only 30-40 Krag-chambered Moisin I have ever seen.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    Jim, no one ships loaded rounds or even components unless you pay the big fees. isn't worth is unless you deal in it by the 10,000's

best we can do up here is about $0.50 per steel cased loaded

or new brass for reloading is around $0.80 each....

then shipping and taxes....
    Did you mean ship across the border? Because there are plenty of places that will ship ammo inside canada.

http://moregunssupply.3dcartstores.com/

7.62x25 / x39 /x54R All in stock in milsurp.

I read an article about a shooter at a range shooting .308 in Polish M44 he ejected the casings by dropping the cleaning rod down the barrel. The person writing the article wrot out the proper cartridge for the shooter and sent him home with a case (7.62 x 54R).
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd still look at the rifle but if it was sold as a rimmed 308 could it possibly chambered in 307 winchester? Which IS a rimmed 308 from my understanding. More than likely it is just an old mosin.

Boolit Bub
    IIRC, there was a Chilean 308 Mauser, converted by use of a soldered in sleeve.
    A few of these were imported and sporterized.
    And sometimes they were good one.