Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Is this linotype?

Boolit Bub

Is this linotype?

My buddy was cleaning out his garage and set these aside for me. About 26 lbs each and 26 inches long. Its pretty hard, and has a ring (as opposed to a thud) when tapped on the concrete. I thought I remembered seeing a picture on this site of alloy shaped like this and that it was for hanging in a linotype machine. Can someone confirm?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP3848 (Medium).JPG  
    Last edited by skeeter1911; 06-19-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Boolit Master
    You got it.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Bub
    Now THAT was FAST, thanks. I guess I owe him now. Sure glad he didn't make decoy anchors from them.
    Last edited by skeeter1911; 06-19-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Decoy anchors, now there's a good use for zinc. I bet if someone was looking to make decoy anchors or even big pyramid sinkers, they could trade their lead to a boolit caster for twice as much weight in zinc wheel weights. A win win for everyone.

Banned

They're linotype pigs, but you need to break off a chunk and cast some boolits out of it, air cool them, and test the hardness after a week. Linotype and similar alloys is often very depleted of tin and antimony from repeated melting and skimming. I have some monotype in letter form that measures 8 bhn. If it rings that's a good sign. If you can break off an end by clamping it in a vise and hitting it with a big hammer, that's even better.

Gear

is that the three little pigs ? yes it is linotype and if it rings it is a good sign , score 4 u

Hello to all.
    Yes, it is linotype.
    Ciao
    Nino

Boolit Bub
    Thanks to all who responded.

Geargnasher, I didn't have access to a vise so I laid each pig on the floor of the garage and was able to easily crack one of the ears off each with a hammer. Looks promising.

Banned

skeeter1911

You are lucky--That is the good stuff. Linotype is great as is for making great hard boolits for high velocity/high pressure loads. It is also just the ticket for alloying with softer pure lead, range scrap wheel weights etc for making a wide variety of alloys. It is the basis of what I use in all my alloys.

If you are really going to get into casting, get a hardness tester so you don't waste good stuff like Linotype. It will go a long way with mixing your own alloys.

Gary

Here's some of my old LT(1970-s vintage) I salvaged from a print shop and 50/50 ingots of lead-Linotype. I wish I had more.

NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

It should be. I used to buy quite a bit waaay back when from a local printer & that is how it came from the alloy supplier. The good old days @ less than $1/#.

Boolit Master

I used to buy it like that from a local printer for 30 cents a pound. He had retired his linotype machine and had a bunch. He would only sell me 100 pounds at a time every once in a while.

I've called some of the old print shops around here and none have LT anymore as no one sets type these days. I missed a golden opportunity several years back of obtaining quite a bit of LT as one of the local newspaper companies was going out of business. It was a gold mine I've been told if you were looking for LT. I guess is RotoMetals or ebay now.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs