Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: 45 Colt Bullet

Boolit Mold

45 Colt Bullet

So I am looking for a new bullet mold and was wondering if someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I am looking for a 250 gr Keith Style bullet with no gas check. I would prefer a Lyman mold if at all possible. What do you guys think?

Boolit Master
    Lyman........I wouldn't go there unless it is an older one that can be verified on its as cast diameter. Many newer Lyman molds are casting undersized. You can get yourself a really nice 454424 from BRP Molds a.k.a. BABore here on the forum. He can make you any cavity number you want up to 5 cavities and can even hollow point as well. He also has another great design that is 260 grains being the 453640 that is basically the bottom half of the Keith 454424 with the top being more of a LFN style nose.

Bruce's prices are good for a custom mold that you know will drop at the intended diameter and his work is top notch. His turn around time is also very good and has excellent communication.

http://www.brp.castpics.net/P2.html
    http://www.brp.castpics.net/

Here is his Cast Boolits member profile:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=402

You can't go wrong with the Lyman. 454424 or 452424. It is the Kieth design, no check. Mine casts a 260 grain bullet with wheel weights. I like the 454 diameter because it shoots better in my Ruger BH. I don't think Lyman catalogs the 454424 any more, but they are out there used. Post a request in the want to buy section. Good luck.

Matt

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for this info. I am going to check out his mold types.
    I said Lyman because I prefer a mold made from something other than aluminum. Also I just received a set of new Lyman mold handles and didn't want to have to get another pair.

Are there any other options for me?

Boolit Master
    The RCBS 45-255-SWC is a decent mold as well. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=740944
    The current production has a square or rather flat bottom lube groove.

Middle is the 454424 design at BRP, far out side boolits are the RCBS 45-255-SWC and the boolits inside of the 45-255-SWC's are the 45-280-SWC or also known as the RCBS 45-270-SAA

I wouldn't worry about aluminum not being a tough enough material. A bit of care and using sprue plate lube as well as lube the alignment pins it will out last you.

Banned

You said you don't want aluminum, but the Lee Keith copy is a good one, and very likely to cast .453" with wheel weight or similar alloy.

You've been warned about Lyman of recent production, undersize and out-of-round is the norm there and has been for some time.

RCBS makes great moulds and they have a 255 and 270-grain SWC in .45 you might check out. I use Lee 6-cavity handles ($12) modified to fit the RCBS moulds, a cheap alternative to the RCBS handles.

Then there are the many custom mould makers, but only a few offer moulds other than aluminum.

Gear

Banned

RobS, you beat me to it!

Gear

Boolit Master
    A thought:
    If your handles are the Lyman 2 cavity mold type they will work on many custom molds. They will be a bit thick for RCBS molds. I'm sure if you decide to go with a custom mold you could measure your handles and ask if they would work. I use Lee six cavity mold handles for just about everything and simply modify them. At $12-$13 a pop, modification doesn't bother me much.

Boolit Master
    gear:

You beat me to the handles!!!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

mould

You may also want to look at Accurate moulds in Utah that makes 3 cavity moulds for $120 made of brass to your door. I have had 4 of them made and they are all perfect. He does request you send some alloy along. Have you slugged the bore of your guns? If you are shooting the bullets in a rifle then the Keith style is not the best choice. The RNFP is the best all around design for both revolver and rifle.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I use the Lee 452-255-RF and while it's aluminum, it does pretty good. I was worried myself when I got it as i heard how terrible Lee Aluminum Molds are, don't discount them, they are an excellent value for the money.

A little bigger then 250, its 270 but you might want to have a look at the Miha .45-270 SAA RCBS Clone Re-run Group Buy

Dave Scovill of Handloader Magazine Designed the RCBS 45-270-SAA as what many would call an "Improved Keith". There is allot to like, http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20246partial.pdf

++2 ON ZIPTAR'S RECOMMENDATION FOR MIHEC MOLDS.
    I have 2 of the 4 cavity 45-270-SAA molds and they're fantastic.

Banned

I have a NOE 454424 (see post #5) in 3 cavity with 1 cavity HP. While it is AL it is a work of art (or at least al).

I'd part with mine, or you could look in the vendors section to see if NOE has any in stock.

A big + on the MiHec 45 SSA clone in brass.

New Lyman molds have a nasty trend to run small.

Boolit Grand Master

If it is a Keith design, it CAN'T have a gas check.

If is has a gas check, it isn't a Keith design.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold

455 webley

I have a colt new service in 455 webley and i am looking for a bullet mould. Someone might be able to point me in the right direction.
    which mould, lyman RCBS, Rapine, etc.. and which size, 454 inch or 455 or more ?
    Thankyou
    Leicaf

Boolit Man

45 colt 455 etc

Have used the LYMAN Keith type 45 Colt mold for a few years. Drops a nice bullet about .453-454 depending on alloy. It is very accurate in Colt New Service revolvers sized at .452.Really accurate in the target model.Prefer a moderate hard alloy.Darn good bullet.

For use in 455 Colt New Service have used the LYMAN 255gr RNFP mold,original design w/ two lube grooves(cannot remember #) sized to .454 with good results.
    With a softer alloy it usually weighs about 260-262 grs.
    Perhaps we need another thread to discuss loading for the 455 ??

Pertsev,

Did your RNFP look like this

Mihec had thought about running something like this.

LINK to thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29012

With the hollow base it should swell up to fit most .455 .456. barrels even if your throats start it out a little small.

Think HBWC with a RN

Maybe a Keith style with a Hollow Base would be the ticket. Like the Lyman 429422 Hollow Base SWC. Except in .45

If I were just going to have one mold for the 45 Colt cartridge it would be RCBS 270 SA. It is an "improved Keith" design and very well done. It will cast out at around 280 grains from most WW metal. The RCBS 255 is a little lighter at about 260 grains from WW. Either will do just fine, but the 270 with the longer bearing surface gets the nod from me.

I size all of my 45 Colt bullets .454 whether shot in my Ruger or my Colt New Service (1921). I have had the Ruger throats opened up to .453 and the Colt came from the factory at .455. Both the Ruger and the Colt have barrel groove diameters of .452.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I've done extremely well with a Lee 90234 (200 RF) & the 90356 (252 SWC) in my Ruger .45 Blackhawk. The 90234 is a great plinking bullet--you don't need a 150+ grain bullet for plinking in most cases. I have tried The RCBS RF as well as the 255 Kieths made by both Lyman and RCBS and neither proved all that satisfactory for me.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with Chargar on the RCBS 270 SAA, I have this bullet in a Miha 4 cav brass (see my avatar) that casts .454 and my Bisley loves this bullet. The RCBS 255 gr does well also but as Chargar said, the bearing surface of the 270 is a distinct advantage. A very similiar bullet is the SAECO 255 SWC PB but I cannot get the accuracy from this bullet that the 270 or RCBS 255 gives, possibly because of the very thin front driving band of the SAECO.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member