Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NcStar scopes

Boolit Master

NcStar scopes

Any feedback/experience on these scopes? I am looking at a 6-24X50 AO for a rifle and wanted some input before I got one. Thanks, guys.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    I had one. It was one of those 8-24x50 IR mil dot with sunshade. looked really cool sitting on the gun. Then I shot some with it. Got real milky when you cranked the power past 12x and it would not hold zero on the .308 it was mounted on. Best thing is to buy the best you can afford. Lot of nikon, mueller, bushnell etc less than 150$ Bushnell makes a lot of scope for the money. Mueller makes a good ones too. Myself I would never buy a Barska or NC Star ever again.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

They hjave a very poor reputation here in NZ. I wouldn't put one on any of my rifles. I would save a bit more and get something that will give better service. The Nikons are very good glass and excellent value.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Buddy
    I tried one of those NcStar "things"... Never again. The ocular lens came loose and rattles around quite a lot if I try and have the focus set anywhere but "tightened up". Fortunately, it's not too bad in that position. Needless to say the seal - if there ever was one to start with - is now toast.

I'll second the Nikon scopes. The Monarch line is excellent and very reasonably priced.

Boolit Master
    spend your money on something else.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

As has been said... unless it's on a 22lr, save up and get something else...

I learned this lesson personally, despite buying one of there "Premium" models (Put onto an ar-15...)... needless to say, it was a $180 tuition fee....

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    The one I got designed for the SKS self destructed on my SKS on the fourth shot.

Since then I've had the opportunitiuty to save inquiring folks $10, 000 by disparaging that red china JUNK ! BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master

I`ve tried some of their 2X7 pistol scopes thinking they would be OK for low recoil calibers. NOT SO. Save your money. Spend more for higher quality scopes. You won`t be sorrry...dale

Ncstar - no
    Burris - doing good but only tried up to 223
    Bushnell - doing good (up to 300 win mag)
    BSA - Cat's Eye - doing good up to 308 (on a FAL)
    Famous Maker (JGsales.com) - no (worked on 223 but died when moved up)
    Barska so far on 223 and 243 working ok
    Leupold - doing good (.375 Weatherby which killed everyone else off)
    Lyman All American (older model) - dim compared to todays but it was a good scope in it's time
    Tasco (older model) -been back to factory once for repair - good glass just not strong build

Boolit Master
    Hi GN,
    I just got one of these,yea it's a cheap scope but I want to shoot a couple of mny off brand rifles and leave my Zeiss where its at so got one of these. The good news is Vortex backs there Chi-Com stuff pretty well. If you have a problem they take care of it. This scope is a discontinued item and at $99 is half price! http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Cross...pe-P43585.aspx

Banned

i wouldnt waste 5 bucks on one

Boolit Master
    Hi Lloyd,
    Had your coffee yet? Seeing how this is America,I guess that's your option! Thought I'd try one. That's my option!

Boolit Master
    Hi GN,
    Here's a link with the man that runs Vortex http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...1500748&page=1

Boolit Master
    I'm with Loyd. Been there done that got t shirt and hat.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Buddy
    Gunnerd,
    Just a suggestion, but you might take a look at Millet Scopes. I have one on my .30-06 and it's great, saw one used on a BMG .50 and it held zero like it was supposed to.. Just my 2 cents...
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi GN,
    I just got one of these,yea it's a cheap scope but I want to shoot a couple of mny off brand rifles and leave my Zeiss where its at so got one of these. The good news is Vortex backs there Chi-Com stuff pretty well. If you have a problem they take care of it. This scope is a discontinued item and at $99 is half price! http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Cross...pe-P43585.aspx
    I got that same model scope last year and am pretty happy with it. I haven't had it on anything that has a great deal of recoil, just a 22 Hornet and currently it's on my Remington 37. The settings have been repeatable and I haven't had any problems losing zero with it. I just wish it was a fine crosshair instead of a dot.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    The problem with most of these less than OK scopes is that the names and importers change frequently, while the designs in and out continue without much substantive change and they ultimately get to bumping the lower price ranges of truly good scopes and warranties. How about post -American Weavers, pre-Leupold Redfields after the Redfield's foreign adventures?

When you buy a scope it ought to work well for a long time. I can say that of a 4X Leupold thats stood up to a couple thousand shots. A bit pricey then but still better than a series of bargain junkers.

Nothing wrong with an under $200 Redfield ,made by Leupold, with a lifetime warranty

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    I have two NcStar 6X42s mil dots. So far no issues, not great but adequite. Have used on 30-06 with Greek HXP, didn't break. They were very inexpensive. Probably being fixed power helps. I prefer my Loopy or Bushnell Elites but can't put one on everything. My next scope will be a Redfield 2x7, for hunting.

Banned
    If you take value for money, then what?

A brand new LADA wont cost the same as a Rolls Royce, but it will take you from A to B just the same. It might break down sooner and the quality is in the $hit$, but hey, then use some of the money saved to buy another!

If you stirve for quality then why ask the question in the first place?

Boolit Master
    Used the NcStar today on a 30-06. Didn't break, fairly stout loads, but it is a poor scope as far as clarity goes. Like the man said, you get what you pay for. Who else makes a fixed 6X mildot? I like the concept.