Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirror lube

Boolit Master
    Mirror Lube was adertised as a patented formula (no patent number) which eliminates loading jams and reduces leading. Works well with rifle and pistol and lubricating qualities were unaffected by weather conditions. Can be stored indefinitely and keeps bore mirror clean.

It was mentioned in the first edition of Handloader's Digest in 1962 and last mentioned in the tenth edition 1984. I used a stick of it myself and it seemed to do as well as anything else.

Boolit Bub

good info

Thanks, I'll move along with the testing if we ever get caught up at work, I finish my current project, delay my next project ect, ect. It really suck getting old because the time just seems to dissappear.

So it would be a good one to try to duplicate? Or are legal issues still in play?

Patents are good for 20 years unless a special extension is given by an act of Congress (almost completely unheard of). If the stuff dates back to the 60's I think if there ever was a patent it has long since expired.

My $0.02

Boolit Bub
    i have some mirror lube that shoots very well. I bought it with a lyman sizer. It is a soft lube that i have, and not any use of a heater. I would like to duplicate it because i am about out. I heard it was no longer available.

Boolit Bub
    By the way I am not trying to sell it either.

Boolit Master

So far as I can tell it is a softer grease/beeswax base. I think it is a MOLY grease. It has a high burning point. I think I can duplicate it and improve it just slightly. Now comes the work.

BUT MONKEY question....Was MOLY grease around when this stuff was made? How long has Molybdenum disulfide been around? WW2 or maybe longer?

Seems to me some of my buddies used it on their M16s Kinda like a dry lube long ago.

Boolit Bub

Time

Moly has been around for quite some time. It was used by the military first and I could be wrong but think it was pre WWII.

We use a thread lube in the machinery shop we call moly b because it has large amounts of moly in it. We use a lot of SS bolts and Nickel Copper so you have to use antisieze. The moly B is in a tube and easier to use. I'll get the exact name later and let you know.

Boolit Master
    I'll have to go check but I believe I have several sticks of Mirrow Lube with the pat# clearly printed on the side.

With the number you should be able to look it up and determine both the formula and what particular part of the lube the patent applied to.

The patent will apply to part ( or all) of the lube and not the process by whiich it was made.

At one time I was going to test just about every lube I could find and maybe write an article on same.

Life happens and I got a touch distracted but may someday follow up on it. would be nice to have this stuff back on the market.

I'll post the number for RR if I find it this morning.

Boolit Master

My tube says "since 1967" 1967 there was Moly. Guys used Molybdenum disulfide (what form I don't know) on their M16s in Vietnam even though it was not an issue item. Word has it from a fellow who was there, Friends and family had to send it overseas because it was not an issue item.
    Last edited by randyrat; 06-12-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Boolit Bub
    The patent number on mine is 30971692

Quote Originally Posted by double00 View Post
    The patent number on mine is 30971692
    Just dropped that number in a patent search engine and got nothing. Must be too old of a patent number to show up in the search engine or the number is wrong.

Boolit Master

OK I'm finished making a duplicate of the "mirror Lube" I made it out out of 2 oz high temp lithium moly grease, 6 oz beeswax a 1/8 teaspoon of carnauba wax & 1/2 teaspoon of Lanolin...........

Alan I'll send you what I made. It is bulk so you will have to melt it again if you want it in tube form.
    I improved on it a bit. Should leave your bore nice and shinny and it will stick to your projectiles better than the original.

New name is "Billybob's clean bore lube"

Alan...Give it a try and let us know how it works for ya.

Boolit Master
    Well, looks like all I need is the grease, since Iordered all the rest from randy.

Thanks for the detective work, randy.

Boolit Mold
    Not meaning to raise the dead here, but I am acquainted with Mirror Lube.
    Bob Issacoulian was, last I knew, a PR2 in the Navy. When he bought the Mirror Lube business he was stationed at SERE School, Warner Springs, CA. He had time on shore duty to run a business or three.
    He ended up on a ship, and those of you who know, sailors belong on ships, and ships belong at sea, so the time for a business went away.
    I don't know if Bob continued with the Mirror Lube business after his tour onboard the ship was completed. I left the service and drifted away, as is often the case.
    But I recall the double wall steam kettle Bob had in his office in Escondido, with the Mirror Lube in it. Every now and again he'd heat it up, fill molds, wrap it, and sell it. I think he sold plenty at the gun shows in San Diego, but that was back in the 86-87 time frame.

Boolit Grand Master

Very interesting.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Man

Gun's Magizene 1962 ---- 50 cents a stick. No price change in 50 years. Amazing

Boolit Mold
    So how did the newly formulated mirror lube work out, svp? Anyone gonna make enough to share?

Boolit Grand Master

I lucked out and found 107 sticks so I am set for a while

Boolit Buddy

Exclamation

Robert Dee Issacoulian lives in Fresno Ca. Used to live in San Deigo. Los Osos Ca. Age 51.

http://www.123people.com/e/robert+issacoulian

Matt

I am new to the site, and I tried to email CetmesofNH a few times but I guess Im doing something wrong because the system tells me I have not sent any email
    Last edited by greg.g.; 12-15-2012 at 06:41 PM.