RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you clean your pot??

Boolit Master

How often do you clean your pot??

The reason that I ask, is that I cleaned mine out for the first time the other day. I have put nearly 100 pounds of WW's through it and noticed some crud around the edge. After draining the pot, and letting it cool, I added some hot soapy water and it cleaned right up. My boolits are looking a lot nicer now as well. I was starting to notice impurities in my boolits. They look great now.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Lizard333

That sounds like you got it gunked up fast compared to me. I manage to keep the crud low by using less and less wax for fluxing and am switching to sawdust only. That has made a big difference. Wax and oil based fluxes will build a caked and backed on crud. Protecting your pot from rust will also keep fried flux from sticking as badly.

I only leave 1 inch alloy in the pot , allow to cool and then spray the pot top rim and insides with Silicone spray or WD 40 every time I am done with it for the day. My pot is over 15 years old and has been thoroughly wire brushed and cleaned out 3 times but the nozzle has been cleaned many times.

Gary

Every 5 to 10 years
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Never have cleaned mine.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The impurities are are called inclusions. It is small bits of dross. Try scraping the sides of your pot with a dry wooden stick while casting.The soot from the stick will cover the surface of the melt and help it from oxidizing and forming more dross.
    I do this about every 20-25 throws. The inclusions will be most noticeable on your Boolit bases as little dirty pitting, and will be your best indicator that you need to do it again. You'll need to keep your melt temp to around 675 depending on the alloy to recover the trapped Boolit alloy and stir back in. The higher antimony content your alloy has, the less you'll have to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    Never have cleaned mine.
    This. Never, none of them. I never run the pot dry, never smelt in my casting pots. That way there should be nothing to clog the spout. Emptying the pot is how you get crud in the pour spout.

Boolit Master

Rust isn't an issue here in Flagstaff, AZ. We are pretty dry. I have been using the Franklin Flux, I bought at a gun show. I used sawdust for a little while but noticed my boolits came out dirty looking, like something that was in the sawdust was sinking to the bottom of my pot and being cast into my boolits. Using that franklin stuff, it seems to work pretty well. I keep my casting temp of the lead to about 675 and am using straight WW's for most of loads. I tried adding tin as well but didn't notice much of a difference in the fill out, so quit adding the expense.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Never have.

I have Never used Franklin Flux so I cant speak of its merits or shortfalls. I have used just about everything else under the sun at one time or another, from Mule team Borax to powdered dish soap, wax, and motor oil, You name it, and at one time or another I tried it in my pot. But I believe sawdust or wood shavings work better than most stuff I've tried, It creates a nice soot on top of the melt with out any lumps of any kind after it's stirred well at casting temp. If someone was to start a poll, I think that sawdust would be 90% of what the most competent casters use.
    Just as a side note* tin wont help your fill out difficulties until you get your fluxing techniques handled.

I cast from gas heated steel pots and have one for each of the three alloys I cast so my pots never get emptied or cleaned. Use clean ingots, smelted in another pot and I seen no need to clean out a pot.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    Never have cleaned mine.
    This is my schedule as well.

Lizard, don't be mislead by the guys that say they never clean ther pots. They do, but just as a part of the fluxing process. Not a total scrub down as you described. If they didn't there Boolits wouldn't look and perform as well as they do.

Seems like I clean my bottom pour about once a year, more often if I am casting a lot of pistol bullets. I use wire brushes in the drill to remove all the scale, rust, ****, etc. that builds up on the sides of the pot. Have never cleaned the SS pot I use for ladled bullets.
    Tony

Hey, I just got censored by the forum! A first for me. My four letter word was cee are a pee, not the more common version.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master
    nevah
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Anyone else have issues with the sawdust leaving crud fa into their boolits on a bottom pour?? Are those of you that are using sawdust ladle casting were it doesnt matter what sinks to the bottom??

Benjamin Franklin

i clean mine when i notice crud building up around the sides. mine is a bottom pour lee 20 pounder. i double flux every time i add new lead, but not when i am adding in scrap boolits that i just cast, or the sprue bits. if i had to guess, i would say probably every 5 or 6 pots full. to me, it is not that big of a deal to do, and i would rather have a clean pot. it is probably overkill, as often as i do it, but i hate messy equipment. dad taught me to take good care of my equipment, and i do.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Master
    I run mine out each time, hang it upside down and clean the spout with a large paper clip while it's still hot (from bottom up). A short while later but still warm I take a drill bit the same size as the spout and put bullplate sprue lube on it and run it through the spout. When the pot is cooled I spray all the metal down with Remington Gun oil and call it good.

Sometimes when I know I'm going to run the pot again in a few days I'll leave an inch or so in the bottom and let it cool. Once cooled, I'll spray oil on it again. It's humid in SE Kansas and a pot will start to rust even in 24 to 36 hours.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Some casters just feel So.......much better knowing their pots are really,really clean. Like some muzzleloader shooters feel about their bores being properly seasoned...............

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Try raising your temp a bit and stir, scrape, stir. You should have fine ash on top w/o any alloy adhered to it. If you push the ash away you should see mirror bright alloy underneath.