Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Herters Press

Boolit Mold

Herters Press

Please don't throw rocks at me. Smile But does anyone have a old Herters turret press. That they don't need anymore.?? Thanks Whitey
    PS E-mail whanson@plainstel.com

Boolit Master
    Some folks do. I see them on eBay from time to time.

Boolit Master

I believe there is a model-81 (2-station) there now.

The turret model is designated the '234'.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys. And maybe someone will have one. Or know someone who does.Whitey

No reason to throw rocks at a guy wanting a quality vintage cast iron press. Sounds like a guy with some sense to me!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Mold

Thanks

Chargar thanks now I all I need is to find one.Smile Whitey

Whitey,
    I have several that I don't want anymore...I started out with a model 81...then a a model 243 turret with six holes...then a model 234 with six holes...and finally found another 234 with auto park and 12 holes...so the model 81 and both 6 hole turret presses are no linger needed for my collection...it took decades for me to find a 234 with the auto park improvement so I won't be selling that one...but of the three I can sell, all have original paint and are in excellent mechanical condition ...I haven't looked at them for a while but it seems to me the 243 has some mechanical advantage design improvements not found on the 234 but for what ever the reason the auto park feature did not carry over into the 243.

Boolit Mold

Herter press

Robert will leave you a PM. Or contact me at [email]whanosn@plainstel.com

Boolit Mold

Thanks

Thanks everone I found one.From Robert Whitey

Hey Whitey,
    What gives? How can a guy who has never owned a Herters press tell me observations about the presses that I own, that I have never noticed? You were right...the 243 die plate in noticeably thicker than either of the 234's. The top cap nut is larger diameter by almost a quarter inch. There is no doubt that the 243 was built to handle larger forces than the 234. Also the 243 has provisions for three shotgun dies (by removing the 7/8 14 adapters) while the 234 have provisions for only one shotgun die (both 12 hole and 6 hole 234's).
    Also noticed the 12 hole 234 not only has auto park, it has a parking brake and additional reinforcements on the operating handle. Which reminds me...I have a box of Herters shotgun dies somewhere.

Boolit Mold
    Robert thanks Now I willo have both a 6 station and a 12 station. Thanks Whitey

Banned
    This is a big one, toping the scales at a massive 37 pounds. It was introduced, shortly after the famous Model 3, and along with the Model 81 in 1955. The basic frame, handle and linkage is identical to the Model 3. It is a six station press and could be special ordered with one, two or more of the stations threaded for 1-1/4”-18 tpi shotgun dies and fitted with 7/8”-14 tpi or 5/8”-30 tpi inserts. The press pictured has three inserts at every other station though presses with as many as five inserts and as few as one have been located. The mount base of the frame retains the familiar round shape of the Model 3 but has four bolt holes.

The turret is 1 inch thick cast iron, and 8 inches in diameter. There is enough space for 12 die stations though none were ever made by Herter’s. The lower bearing surface is 4 inches in diameter as is the top retaining plate. The retaining plate is threaded to a 1” center shaft and tightened just enough to allow the turret to turn but not flex. It is secured with a set screw lock. Herter’s called this a Belgian-type turret; I suppose the European reference made it superior. A ball bearing detent locks the turret in each of the six positions. Two steel handles with rubber grips, 180 degrees apart, provided grip for rotating such a massive turret.

Around 1960-61 there was an outside company called Ultra Products from Wilmette, Illinois that made accessories for Herter’s presses and the 243 press in particular. The only reference to Ultra located so far is a full-page listing in the 1962, 1st edition of Handloader’s Digest. Among the Herter’s accessories, they offered was a hardwood leveling block that tilted the press to a horizontal position. This block fits all Herter’s presses though the mounting holes will require re-drilling for models other than the Model 243/234. Their universal primer arm was supposedly easier to change primer punch sizes. There was also an effective primer catcher, something Herter’s had not introduced yet and really needed. Neither of these items is clearly pictured in the Handloader’s Digest so determining how they worked or their actual appearance is open to speculation. It appears that the primer catcher was a round can like container that mounted with a long cross bolt that also held the primer arm in place. The copy states the primer arm and catcher could be used with other Model 3 based presses. The primer arm remains somewhat of a mystery.

Ultra’s most important accessory was a 12 station turret conversion. This required sending your press to them for fitting a new turret. For $17.50 they would precision bore your turret with six additional 7/8”-14 tpi holes converting the press to 12 stations, much like those then available from Hollywood. Plus, they added two additional handles for rotating the turret. I like the idea of adding two extra handles as rotating the turret with the two factory handles is often awkward. The Herter’s turret is large enough in diameter that this was a very effective conversion. Or, if you did not want to ship your press, or did not own a Model 243 you could mail them $50.00 and they would send you a new 243 press with the conversion.

In 1961 the model designation of the 243 press was changed to 234 (It still adds up to 12). Why this was done I would love to know as George Herter was real good at building upon the success of others. Winchester had introduced the now famous 243 rifle cartridge and speculation is that Winchester required a number change.

The only other change to the press was the addition of a reinforced handle and ball bearing detent to hold the handle up sometime after 1962. The extra frame reinforcements and workstation wings were never added to the turret press. 243 marked presses are not common and neither are the later models with the ball bearing detent to hold the handle up.

Ken

Boolit Mold
    Ken thank you very much for all that information. As at 75 And starting to learn to reload. Memories of going into the Mitchell S.Dak store on many Sat's. With my Grandfather from Sioux Falls to buy supplies has Made me want Herter's presses. Thanks again Whitey

Nice bunch of information on these old monsters!!!!!!!

Boolit Bub
    Great photos!