MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision

Thread: 22 Hornet

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.

22 Hornet

Anybody casting bullets for the 22 Hornet?? I just picked up a 10" Contender barrel in 22 Hornet with open sights. I am thinking about a light load for the Hornet, and thinking about casting for the Hornet. Any one have any experience with the Hornet?? Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

There are about 50 of us that are, or at least 50 of us waiting for a Hornet bullet mould.

Here is the link for a group buy 37 gr Hornet bullet. You might even be able to get in on on the buy if you hurry.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=100208

Moderator Emeritus
    Try using the search function, there have been quiet a few good discussions here on the classic Hornet round.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Well you know, I got my hornet to shoort pretty damn good with 60gr J-word Hornady spire points in a 1-in-16 twist rifle. Cast boolits would be a little shorter and I would expect your Contender to have a 1-in-14 twist? 60 grain cast would make powders like Lil'Gun work quite well although I cannot speak for other than rifle barrel length. I can guess and I would say that ignition stability matters right at the beginning so 14 inches would be the same. I was getting arround 2700 + fps with 55 grainers and a compressed load of Lil'Gun with R-P cases and zero case elongation and indefinate case life. There is a trick to it though. Accuracy was amazing even in a rust damaged bore.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I shoot the BRP 47gr bullet and the RCBS 55gr bullet. I have been using CCI small rifle primers and 9.5grs of IMR 4227 for both. I use it in IHMSA, I don't always hit the ram in FP but it does fall when hit. I will try small pistol primers and magnum small pistol primers after the next match once I empty my brass.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I shoot the BRP 47 gr Boolit also in a Stevens 322 22 Hornet that I K'd a number of years ago. I use Small Pistol primers in it and my standard load is 10 gr. IMR 4227 Great Boolit. The BRP47 is a great shooter in 2 other hornets that I have cast for. My brother just dispatched a Starling at 175 yards with it in his handy rifle on top of 9.5 of IMR 4227. The 2 witness's that had challenged him just simply shook their heads and left his shooting room for a few minutes.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by altheating View Post
    There are about 50 of us that are, or at least 50 of us waiting for a Hornet bullet mould.

Here is the link for a group buy 37 gr Hornet bullet. You might even be able to get in on on the buy if you hurry.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=100208

That looks like a real nice bullet. I have never bought a "group buy" item before. But I put a post on the thread that I would like to buy one of them. I hope somone contacts me to sell me one?? Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Master
    I shoot the Lyman 45 grain 225438 mold in the 22 hornet, 7.5grains of IMR 4227. It's good for 100 meters.

And the other J-words, 8.0 grains of Vitahvouri Oy N110

Ron

PS: find an eaze-out that will just fit inside the case and you're ahead of the game. 22 Hornet is a thin case, they have case head seperations sometimes, blows the case apart from fatigue.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

It looks like I will be able to get one of those group buy molds. So that is a good thing, thanks for the recommendation.

I am considering a reduced load with Trail Boss. Anyone doing any load work with Trail Boss in the 22 hornet?? Thanks, Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Master

I am waiting on my group buy mould. I plan on using it in my T/C, M6 Scout, and possibly in one of my Anschutz's.