WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: .54 TC Maxi Ball mould, opinions?

Boolit Master

.54 TC Maxi Ball mould, opinions?

I just started a similar thread on the mold forum so please be aware of that. I forgot about this forum.

While snooping around a gunshop i spotted a very old stock TC .54 Cal Maxi Ball mold. I got distracted so I didn't confirm much.

It did not list a bullet weight. I think it was a single cavity. It had no handles. I'm considering picking it up for my lefty Deerstalker with the 1:48 twist. Opinions please?

Are handles commonly available? The mold is about $30 bucks but if handles are stupid expensive it might not be a deal. I was considering a Lee REAL to add to my patched ball shooting.

Sorry for the double post but this is best forum to ask about this.

Edit: Packaging is a card blister pack and remebered the # as 7292.
    Last edited by Canuck Bob; 05-18-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    Go to Midway and buy a set of lee handles for their six cavity molds. These handles are relatively cheap and fit most molds that I have I had to do a little grinding on the flat to fit some custom mold blocks I have but they work fine and are half the cost of lyman or RCBS handles. In fact I plan to pick up several more next time I order.

I have several T/C molds and RCBS handles fit. I believe the .54 maxi ball molds cast a 420 grain bullet, give or take a bit and $30 is a pretty good buy.

Boolit Master

If it's an aluminum TC mold, that seems a bit steep for just the blocks. I've seen TC mold blocks for as little as $10 around here. If it's a steel mold that seems fair. At one point I had three .54 Maxi-ball molds (apparently I couldn't remember I already had one or I couldn't pass up the deals) from TC and Lyman. Both cast good boolits.

My .54 TC Hawken shoot Maxi-balls almost as well as my GM barrels shoot other boolits.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, here in Canada just finding a mould that doesn't require $20 for shipping is very rare if not a Lee.

Some searching suggests that my 1:48 twist is a little slow in some rifles for this weight range.

To be honest I'm having second thoughts simply because the patched ball is hard to beat and I don't actively hunt anymore.

There is something satisfying in a shooting world constantly advancing due to innovation and marketing to go throw some serious 54 caliber ball downrange with lead, rags, and black powder ignited by a rock. A little haven of sanity in a twitter world!

Banned

I have that mold and handles from either Lyman or RCBS (can't remember at the moment) fit. It cast well too. I used it in a short barrel for my Hawken, never shot real well, but I think that was as much due to me and the short barrel and open sights (I have a long .50 barrel with ghost ring I shoot normally).

That bullet is a thumper, I shot a small six point through the lungs with it and the trauma it inflicted was greater than the .50 Lyman plains bullet I normally use. I believe Greg is correct in that it weighs about 420 grains.

Boolit Buddy
    T C makes the driving band larger than Lyman does, i have had Lyman Maxi Balls, almost fall down the barrel, never had any problem with T C molds, i called T C a couple yrs ago, and they confirmed this, their driving band is larger, George.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member

Boolit Master
    Thanks gys, I went back to the gunshop and he made me a heck of a deal as it is very NOS. I figure if it doesn't group someone will use it.

Besides it is my first mould. I have a deal pending for my 32-20 but this is the first mould in my hand.