Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Just got a bottom pour pot

Boolit Master

Just got a bottom pour pot

Hi All.

Up until now I've been casting using a ladle, and a Lyman 10# Big Dipper pot. After casting some boolits from a 4 cavity mould I decided that I needed something bigger than 10# to keep up with mould, and also decided to try a bottom pour pot. I bought a Lee 4-20 pot from Midway. Once I got it, I mixed up some Lyman #2 alloy, and decided that being that the pot was a Lee, I would cast my first boolits with it using a Lee mould.

I put the mould, a 452-230-2R (one of the first moulds I had bought) on my hotplate, turned on the pot, and sat down waiting for the lead to melt. Usually with my Lyman pot it takes about a half an hour for the lead to be all melted, ready to be fluxed, but with the new Lee pot, it was ready to go in about 15 minutes! This really surprised me, as the Lyman pot uses an 850 watt heater to heat 10# but the Lee only has a 700 watt heater to melt 20#. I'm not sure if this is just because the Lee pot is brand new, and the Lyman is a few months old, or if the crud that has accumulated on the Lyman pot (I stupidly did some smelting in it a while back) is acting like an insulator, or what?

Once I was ready to cast, I couldn't believe how well the mould cast! That particular mould has always had a fairly high number of rejects (I find that I have much more rejects from Lee moulds than from any others), but using the bottom pour pot with a preheated mould, and I had very few rejects! Before I knew it I had cast 150 boolits! I would say that I cast them in the same amount of time that I would cast half as many using a ladle!

One thing I really liked was I was able to cast while sitting down. Actually I had to sit down to be able to see the pour spout. This worked great for me, as I have a bad back, and standing for any length of time gets real painful real quick.

I have a digital thermometer that I got off eBay for $25.00 that's rated up to 750 degrees continuos, and 1300 intermittent, and I usually put it in the pot to check the temp, then take it out, as I had no way of mounting it so the wire going from the probe to the meter itself wouldn't get burned, but with the new pot I decided to try and mount the probe so it can stay in the pot the whole time, and I ended up using some thin wire (this is like the wire in twist ties, but without any paper or plastic on it) and I wired it to the part that connects to the pour valve, and that worked really nice. One thing that surprised me was how low I had to set the Lee pot. To get the lead to 650 degrees I had thought I would have to set the pot to somewhere in the middle of the scale, but it ended up being only on the '3' setting. Earlier in the evening I had it set on like 5 or 6 or so, and the boolits took a long time to cool (I air cool), which made me want to mount the thermometer, and when I cast at 650 they cooled off much quicker, and cast really nicely, nice shiny boolits! Of course I can't do everything right, and when I was done casting for the evening, I left the pot a little less than half full, and turned it off. When it had cooled down I remembered that I didn't remove the thermometer, and now the probe is stuck in the cold lead! Oh well, the probe is hardwired into the meter, so I had to leave the whole thing outside, but it is sealed, and water/oil resistant (it's sealed with an O ring), so it shouldn't hurt it leaving it outside.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    You're making me nervous. I just bought a Lyman 10 lb. pot and an RCBS ladle. Haven't used them yet, but hope I have good luck.

exlle
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Grand Master
    Mike,

In my experience, each mold has its own idiosyncrasies, another mold just like that one may work better with a ladle.

Exile,

I cast most of my boolits with an RCBS ladle and a Lee 4-20 pot. I prefer to use a ladle vs bottom pouring.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    You're making me nervous. I just bought a Lyman 10 lb. pot and an RCBS ladle. Haven't used them yet, but hope I have good luck.

exlle
    No reason to be nervous. The Lyman pot is a good one. And I think it's important to learn to ladle cast first, then move on to a bottom pour, that way you can go either way. If you start out with a bottom pour, and haven't a clue how to use a ladle, and then need to for some reason, you wouldn't have a clue what to do. I still plan on ladle casting some of my moulds, because as was said here, each mould in a law unto itself.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    I've gone from 400+ grain boolits in the 45 cal class to 158 grain in the 38 calibers with a bottom pour and have had good results. There are different techniques to bottom pour pots such as pressure casting but I've usually found any fill out problems due to the mold itself (venting) or improper mold temp. Glad you like bottom pouring as some who have started with the ladle have a hard time switching over

Boolit Mold
    I use the Lyman's 10 lb for melting down ww.
    I use lee's 10 lb bottom pour for castings.

You will need to clean the bottom pour after about 10 sessions.