Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: Using 38-40 boolits in 40 S&W

Using 38-40 boolits in 40 S&W

I read articlle by Mike Venturino that he used RCBS 38-40 mold as his favorite 40 S&W boolit. Has anyone done the same or with any other 38-40 mold. I looked at drawing of the RCBS mould and beings it crimps over front band sure should work. Any response or cautions would be appreciated.
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Boolit Buddy
    The way you're writting, it sounds like you're expecting to roll-crimp these bullets in the case. You CAN apply a little bit of roll crimping to pistol cartridges, but not so much that they won't headspace on the end of the chamber.

In any case, I was never satisfied with proper feeding in any pistol without a proper taper crimp. I now use Lyman or Hornady taper crimping dies for all my pistol cartridges. That is 9mm, .40, and .45ACP. I think Lee's modified taper crimping dies are worthless, though I haven't actually thrown them in the trash yet.

My only pistol the wasn't bothered by a non-taper crimp was my Ruger P89, which would digest anything thrown at it, including .357 SWC's loaded into 9mm brass.

In your case, your 38-40 bullet would work just fine, as long as you taper crimp it and your feed ramp likes the nose of this bullet.
    Good luck,
    Michael

Boolit Master

I cant give you any particulars ! but ive seen the loaded ammo shot with no problems.

pretty much what I thought, appreciate the response
    Take someone shooting

Yep, see why you though I was going to roll crimp, but no just meant there isn't crimp groove in the RCBS bullet, and guess even is there was, it wouldn't make any difference. I
    Take someone shooting

Boolit Buddy
    WOW,most of the discussions have read was about "needing" to use 40 S&W boolits in a 38 WCF and cussing the lack of crimping groove.

Boolit Master
    kawalekm;

I only recently (past week) began working with non-roll crimp postol boolits, specifically the 40 S&W. I only have the Lee 4 dies set and did not know the crimp feature of the seater and the and the FCD were inappropriate in some way. So, in my blissful ignorance I have had what I thought was excellent results for form and function. THey look just like and work through the action just like my WInchester factory rounds in my early gen Glock 23. BUT, I am pretty green and prolly don't know what to look for. What should I see wrong? I would buy a different crimp die if it makes better ammo. If it is an accuracy issure or grouping issue, that is why I have not seen the difference, I just shoot 'em off hand at big steel plates and good enough is good enough for me.

prs

Well I just ordered a 38-40 mold from Magma, If it doesn't work our for the 40, I will have some 38-40 bullets for sale for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    kawalekm;

I only recently (past week) began working with non-roll crimp postol boolits, specifically the 40 S&W. I only have the Lee 4 dies set and did not know the crimp feature of the seater and the and the FCD were inappropriate in some way. So, in my blissful ignorance I have had what I thought was excellent results for form and function. THey look just like and work through the action just like my WInchester factory rounds in my early gen Glock 23. BUT, I am pretty green and prolly don't know what to look for. What should I see wrong? I would buy a different crimp die if it makes better ammo. If it is an accuracy issure or grouping issue, that is why I have not seen the difference, I just shoot 'em off hand at big steel plates and good enough is good enough for me.

prs
    Take someone shooting