Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data

Thread: lee zip trim

Boolit Master

lee zip trim

Does the zip trim work as well as shown in the video ? looks like a neat little gismo. thanks guys

In Remembrance
    It's another example of incredible innovation by Lee followed by absolute pure cheap materials and assembly.

In other words, it works fine a few times--then it breaks.

It is neat, but it would be a helluva lot neater if it were built worth a hoot. Since Lee has come out with their new case-trimmer and will be debuting it later this year (November, I think?), I doubt they're going to put any effort or additional resources into their Zip Trim.

I figure it will become extinct in a few years.

Boolit Mold
    The zip trim always looked cheesey to me.
    I chuck the shell holder up in a corless drill or I chuck the cutter up in a drill press.

Boolit Master
    yea, I forgot about the new trimmer coming out, I think I will wait in it. thanks

Boolit Master
    You might want to check out the Possum Hollow trimmer instead. They'll even custom make calibers for you for less than $1 more than their standard prices. There are about 8 standard trimmers that work for the following calibers:

They sell them at midwayusa and grafs. Here's the direct website (it seems to be down right now):
    www.possumhollowproducts.com

You get the drill adapter and the kwick trimmer for your caliber, chuck it into your drill, then trim your brass like you were sharpening a pencil.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42nDelSKf8

Drill adapter
    $10 - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=295771
    $9 - http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/12256
    The drill adapter also works with the standard chamfer/deburring tools.

Kwick trimmers
    $25 - http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#***..._1-2-4_8-16-32
    $28 - http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...s/possum+kwick
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Buddy
    i like the zip trim, burned one up after a few thousand trimmings. its good for the price but if it breaks, look at how cheap the price is will tell you why.

Banned

edsmith:

I like the Zip Trim. The optional 3 Jaw Chuck for it is well worth it for efficiency.

My nephew got one at my recommendation and he destroyed his. He burned through the plastic housing by pulling very off center and polishing 45-70 cases by the thousands--heavy polishing! The Zip does not replace a tumbler. He wore his brass so thin with a 3M pad that he had numerous case separations and splitting. But, he is young and just knows everything.

Consistency in case trimming with the Zip is spectacularly accurate, the tool cuts at a fixed -.005" from recommended Max. I detect no plus or minus, they are all the same.
    I use the Zip for .223, 30-30, .308, 7.62X39, .500S&W, .458 Win Mag.

I returned my Zip to Lee about 2 weeks before warranty ran out because the cord wore out and they replaced the whole unit. I load 2-3k rounds a year and Check/trim etc. every round every time with the Zip and have been very happy with it. Set it up so when you pull, you are pulling straight and not using the cord like a saw on the plastic. Don't yank all the way to a hard thumping stop at the end either, that will cost you the cord after a while.

Gary

Has anyone here replaced the pawls in one? I've had trouble with mine not free spinning on the reverse as the cord rewinds. I'm thinking that's what's wrong. I wish they made the internals out of somethink other than plastic like brass or steel, I know it would cost more but it's a good design and would be well worth it in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    I just chuck the lee cutter in my small lathe and made a holder for the cartridge holder out of a piece of walnut. Works slick.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the three jaw chuck in my drill motor and the cutter (very old one) held with a small pair of vice grips. Trim .40 brass to use for swaging half jackets with a ground down pilot.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still in the first few thousand trims on my first Zip Trim and I'm very happy with it. Mostly .223/.308/.30-06. If it breaks I'll buy another from FS. This is what has probably kept me from buying a Giraud so far. I am also looking forward to the new trim die from Lee.