Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My version of angle iron ingot molds.

Boolit Buddy

My version of angle iron ingot molds.

I'm looking to start casting soon but started off with smelting first to get my feet wet. I found this sight to be invaluable and I have already learned a lot. Being a tight wad I didn't want to spend a lot of money so everything I have done so far has been by scrounging. As an auto mechanic I started by melting wheel weights at work to get the hang of it.

If a picture is worth a thousand words then maybe this video is worth more. It should explain how thing went and how I ended up with my version of an ingot mold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVLgujGVAqU

Let me know what you guys think.

Boolit Master

BigRix,

Looks nice and usable. Welcome to the site.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Bigg Rix, Can you tell me what the dimentions of you Ingot mould is, specifically, how long are the ingots? Did you use 1 inch angle iron? And finally, what do your ingots weigh? I want to make one of my own like yours, and I want it to drop either 1 or 2 pound ingots.

And welcome to the madness. Your lucky, working somewhere you can get your own Wheel Weights. Being in the trade may make it easier for you to get other sources, too.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Buddy
    The angle iron is 1/4" thick and measures 4" long at the "V" with a slight taper. I did not measure the length of the long sides. I cut the taper by placing a piece of scrap tubing under the stock when I cut them on the chop saw. I had to do some fitting to get them all the same size. If I can trust my wife's kitchen scale the ingots are dropping at 16-18 ounces.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey u copied my idea,jkjk looks good, I have an exact copy of that sans handle though that is a good idea, but I added legs so I didnt have to bend over too much to pour, My billets are 6" long and I havent weighed them yet but I suspect they are about 3-5 lbs or so ea.
    I like this idea very much for the storage of the bars, they lie flat and they can stack into milk crates easy than round ones.

Boolit Master

BigRix, I am guessing the sides are 1 inche on the angle iron? Thanks for that.

Boolit Master
    Well, minus the handle, I've got molds like that. Kano Kroil makes a good release agent, little bit fumes-y, but okay. They work, and you can stack your lead. 2x6 makes about a 3# ingot.

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Son View Post
    BigRix, I am guessing the sides are 1 inche on the angle iron? Thanks for that.

Sorry its 1 1/2" angle iron. 1/4" think. 4" long. The sides where the handle is 8" long.

16-18 ounce ingots

Channel works good also. I make singles, cut the ends so the end plate leans out a little.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have made a few of those style molds and some with channel iron. Just wondering how the handle works for you?
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master
    A light coat of rust makes for easy release also.

I made my molds ten or so inches long, as per BruceB they will stack in a fifty cal ammo can. My ingots rarely get stacked in a can though; my driveway isn't level enough to get pretty ingots, and I figure they are just going to get melted agin anyway.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RamRod View Post
    I have made a few of those style molds and some with channel iron. Just wondering how the handle works for you?

As shown in my video the handle works great because it gives the ingots room to fall out of the mold.

Boolit Master
    Nice job.I need to make up a few like that for later.
    And I like the handle.

Longwood
    If you use a little wider angle for the ends and side pieces, then set the end pieces, in the line of cavity's, at a bit of an angle the mold will then make large one piece pigs that you can bend and break into small pigs later. Much easier to store.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigRix View Post
    Sorry its 1 1/2" angle iron. 1/4" think. 4" long. The sides where the handle is 8" long.

16-18 ounce ingots
    Thanks for that, BigRix, looks like I will have to get some 1 1/2" angle iron.

Banned
    Beats the heck out of purchasing a commercially made ingot mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    If you use a little wider angle for the ends and side pieces, then set the end pieces, in the line of cavity's, at a bit of an angle the mold will then make large one piece pigs that you can bend and break into small pigs later. Much easier to store.
    I really like that idea. I imagine you would have to weld the edges together as well to keep the lead from leaking out.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRix View Post
    I really like that idea. I imagine you would have to weld the edges together as well to keep the lead from leaking out.
    Yes, very observant. If it did not leak out, it would at the very least leak into the gaps and lock the ingot into the mold.

Banned

If you add about five degrees of draft angle to the ends of the angle, the ingots fall right out without rust or Kroil. Here's how I made mine, I used a U-bolt for a handle because I have quite a few laying around:

These are 1-1/8" light-gauge angle (1" inside), 5-1/8" long at the vee and 5-5/32" at the top, they make 1-lb ingots with 10.5 SG alloy once you get the hang of pouring them level-full. The ends are 1" angle so the bottoms of the vee are flat with the ends.

Gear
    Last edited by geargnasher; 04-29-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tis is all so easy for you guys that can weld. I suppose us non-welders just need to keep buying muffin tins. Sigh.