RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionMCD Products
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which progressive for 9mm?

Boolit Mold

which progressive for 9mm?

I just found a Dillon 550B that I forgot I had.

I previously ordered a Square deal (unused)and sent it back to Dillon and exchanged it for a 550B. I stuck it away in a storage room and forgot I had it.
    I am ready to reload 9mm (have more time now) and I want a press exclusively for that caliber, to feed my Sigs and Glocks (2 of each)
    Should I use the 550B or order another Square Deal for that caliber. The veratillity of the 550 would be uised for 38's, 45's. Would appreciate the opinions of anyone who has used these machines. Thanks.

PS which machine will handle the "Glock bulge" i have read about. Is that a problem with 9mm brass? Never really noticed it when I was shooting, just left the brass at the range. Thanks.

Love Life
    With the dillon all you need to do is swap out tool heads and shell plates for the 9mm and 38's. You'll have to swap to the LP system for 45 acp. If you truly want another progressive machine dedicated for 9mm then hands down I would go with a dillon. Other companies make great progressive presses, but when I think progressive I think blue.

There isn't any one machine that handles the "Glock bulge" That problem is taken care of with a die.

Boolit Buddy
    No press will handle the glock bulge, that is a function of the dies you buy. Dont use dillon dies on glocked brass as they have a good chamfer on the bottom and the sizer ring is further up than other dies. But even then you may need to buy a lee bulge buster or the one from redding and do it on a single stage press.
    Last edited by firebrick43; 04-20-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    A deticated press foe 9mm would be a square deal b. as far as the buldge goes , friebrick called it .
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

I was thinking the Glock bulge happens with the unsupported chamber in the 40 only. I don't believe the 9 has that problem. But this is from a revolver shooter, so I could be way wrong.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master

I load on both SDBs and 550s. They both have pluses and minuses. In my opinion, if you have never loaded on a progressive press, the 550 is easier to begin on. It is also the most flexible. And since you already own it, why not use it?

If you like, I'll give you my phone number in a PM... we can discuss it at length.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    If you like, I'll give you my phone number in a PM... we can discuss it at length.
    Wow,..."tech support"! I love this forum!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    I load on both SDBs and 550s. They both have pluses and minuses. In my opinion, if you have never loaded on a progressive press, the 550 is easier to begin on. It is also the most flexible. And since you already own it, why not use it?

ABSOLUTELY! -- You already have the 550. It would cost you nothing (press-wise), to start loading 9mm. Once you get up to speed, you may want to move to a machine with auto-indexing like a SDB or 650, etc. especially if you are shooting alot of ammo. -- You have a perfectly good machine in your closet! Get to it, Sir!!
    Jon

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bushytail man View Post
    This is blasphemy,how do you forget you have a 550? My 650 seems to have a gravitational pull that i cannot escape from, and by the way the 650 is also excellent to load 9mm on if you can put it on your list of possibilities.Add a case feeder and you can fill your ammo cans in a hurry!
    INFIDEL 4 LIFE

Banned

Ive loaded 9s on square deals and 550s and after doing it on a square deal a guy feels like hes walking in mud loading those little shells on a 550. Dont get me wrong i love my 550 but i use it mostly for odds and ends and rifle loading. Its a bit slow to me when it comes to really cranking out handgun ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    650 with case feeder is #1(unreal how fast you can load a years worth of rounds), SQDB #2, RCBS Pro 2000 #3

I am kind of married to my 550B but that said I should really invest in a Square Deal to crank out either 9MM or .38spl. Not that it would be any faster but just for the convenience of shooting the 9MM, I have one load I use for my IDPA load so it would just make sense. Better yet I should buy just the 550 press as I have extra powder measures and set it up for the 9MM only. Then again I would have to extend my reloading bench...man this is beginning to look like next winters fight with "she who knows best".

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Man
    You've got a 550, it loads 9mm perfectly. Why not use it? I load all my pistol rounds on a Hornady LNL with a case feeder. I can load 100 rounds of 9mm in 9 minutes. I also have a SDB, but I use that when I'm teaching a reloading class. It works fine for 9mm as well.

Boolit Bub
    I gotta ask...anybody else shooting less and reloading more? I've had a 550 for 24 yrs, load for 9mm, 38 spl, 40 and 45ACP and am gathering LOADS of ammo, only shoot about 50 rds a week...stash is good! Just getting into casting with a 6 cav lee mold, will be ordering furnace shortly...yeah, I now, backasswards...story of my life. Hey, I'm from the 70's when drugs weren't bad and sex wouldn't kill ya!

Kyle

Boolit Bub
    SEE! I even got "bassackwards" "backasswards"!

Boolit Master
    With my fat little fingers, I find loading pistol ammunition on a 550 to be an exercise in futility.
    For me, the SDB is THE perfect pistol loading machine.

I have a 550 set up for 223. I would love to horse trade into another one and leave it in 308.

I'd trade an SDB, and send enough $$$ boot to make it worthwhile for you.

Rich

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bushytail man View Post
    After seeing this I went out to my garage to look for a 550 that I may have forgotten I had.... no such luck.

-StaTiK-

Boolit Buddy
    I did to, just found a lonely 1050 w bullet feeder and collator that I forgot about.... LOL I wish

Boolit Master
    I have two RL 550 B's and a SDB. I like all three. Personally I think loading on the 550 is a little easier, I have medium size hands, and as for rounds per hour I can't see much difference. My two 550's are set up one for 44 mag and the other for 45 colt. The SDB is set up for 38 special. I don't do enough rifle J word boolit loading to be worth setting up my 550 for them. I load all my rifle J word and cast boolits on a single stage press.

Boolit Master

I just got my 650 setup to load 9mm and it is spits them out like poop through a goose. I had never been a big fan of Dillon in general and all the Dillon kool-aid drinkers but this 650 is like no other press I have touched and I have touched a few. Each time I pull that handle down it is like everything is where it should be every single time. I keep waiting for a hiccup or a stutter or a jacked up primer or something. But the only thing I get each time is a perfect piece of ammo going "kerplunk" in the ammo catcher.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ