MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Swaging Press Arrived Yesterday!

Boolit Master

Swaging Press Arrived Yesterday! Now with PIX!!

My press from Tim (u.p. north) arrived late yesterday; my daughter-in-law had to get the UPS driver to hump the iron monster into the garage for her! I didn't feel like uncrating it yesterday - been having a low-sugar reaction all afternoon without even realizing it. I should get it unboxed today, and I'll take pix and post them.

I'm excited by this, because I want to get set up to swage bullets that are uncommon, and difficult to find in stock, especially locally. I'm talking about .257" and .313" rifle bullets, and maybe .45 paper patch bullets.

ETA: No, I didn't have Tim ship it clear to Korea! I'm visiting my oldest son in Maryland.

The top of the box with 'HEAVY' tape; note shipping weight of 84 pounds!

The box:

The entire unassembled press:

The top; note 7/8-14 TPI adapter in place:

The major components:

ETA: I spoke to Tim last night, and assured him that I am completely satisfied with my purchase. The only issue that I would address with the press is that some of the welds look rather unsightly. I'm confident that they will prove more than adequate, and Tim did bring this up first. Tim said that he's going to build a jig to hold everything in place for welding, so that should resolve that issue!

Unfortunately I won't be able to actually assemble, mount and use my press for a while yet. I know it will be there when the time comes!
    Last edited by nicholst55; 04-18-2011 at 02:28 PM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy

Re: about the new press

glad to here you got the press. i hope you enjoy the press for many years to come. post some pictures up for everybody to see. enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks,
    u.p. north

Boolit Master
    I got the press unboxed, but it's getting dark. I'll take pix tomorrow and post them.

I want to say that I've dealt with all types of machinery from pistols to tanks and artillery pieces my entire adult life, and I'm familiar with fabrication methods and can recognize quality work when I see it. Tim does top rate work IMHO, and I can heartily recommend him!

If anyone here has been sitting on the fence, it's time to fish or cut bait! This press is a massive machine, and should be easily capable of anything that a hand-operated press should be used for.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Bub
    Tim I am new to this site, what is the cost of your press and how does it compare to Corbin's S-press CSP-1 or CSP-2?

Thanks, Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Its a sort of Walnut Hill.... plus sized close to the Mega Mite. The price is $550 plus shipping.

this is from the swaging press plans from MattM right??

http://mattmorgan.org/cb_press_v2.pdf

Looks great. A little bit of anodization in blue; it'd look like a match to my Dillon 650XL.

I'm pricing one through a machinist in the Milwaukee area, was it made using speedy metals stressproof polished rods mod?

Larry

Boolit Buddy
    Igvenable,
    The rods are 1045 steel with chrome on the outside, the ram is 1045 t.g.p. (turned,ground,and polished) private message me the price you get from the local machinist. I am sure for a one off, the price will be quite high. Alot of work goes into building these presses and I am thinking of raising the price some.
    Thanks,
    U.P. North

up north
    check pm,
    i'd like a chance to talk. thanks
    larry

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by u.p. north View Post
    Its a sort of Walnut Hill.... plus sized close to the Mega Mite. The price is $550 plus shipping.
    That sounds like a heck of a fair price to me! If and when I'm ready to get into the swaging game I'll be contacting him for sure. Where are dies available for this rig?

danr is making his home grown on the forum, 4 or 5 die set 155 to 195 plus extra costs

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=111634

or there are the Corbin bros and a year

http://www.rceco.com/
    http://www.swage.com/ftp/pricelist.pdf
    Last edited by lgvenable; 04-23-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    That sounds like a heck of a fair price to me! If and when I'm ready to get into the swaging game I'll be contacting him for sure. Where are dies available for this rig?
    I agree, that phffft sound was my 308 money going into the sawgibg press and dies.

cr1045 vs cr1018

GREAT choice on CR1045, as it has avg tensile strength across all alloys is 85 to 97 ksi, vs 50 to 60 for cr1018; effectively 150% stronger.

These presses are much stronger than when made with the lower strength steel.

Hey Nicholst55
    which dies are you going to use. ?

Boolit Bub

I couldn't see the baggie contents, does this "kit" come with the spring too?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lgvenable View Post
    Hey Nicholst55
    which dies are you going to use. ?
    I'm going to use some Walnut Hill dies from RCE, and I'm waiting to see what Tim (u.p. north) and Brian (BT Sniper) come up with. It's going to be at least a year before I'm doing any actual swaging.

Quote Originally Posted by AF FAL View Post
    I couldn't see the baggie contents, does this "kit" come with the spring too?
    I honestly don't remember, but I'm thinking it was all fasteners - nuts, bolts, and screws.

Well UP North is building the same press for me; ETA late May/early June! The press looks outstanding.

What thread are you Wanting to use ? What "bullet"