RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H and R 45-70 or the H and R 500 S/W input please

Boolit Buddy

H and R 45-70 or the H and R 500 S/W input please

Have a work bonus coming up in a month and I;m kicking around the idea of getting the H and R 45-70 or the 500 S/W. The guns are very well priced for my first time CB project. All of my casting over the years entailed smoke polls and shotgun casting so far. I own several Hand R scatter guns and a Ultra slugger but never played with there rifles. Does anybody have either of these rifles and how do they perform for there price.

Figure I might as well try castin my own boolits since factory component bullets in these cals. are a little $$. Plus the iron sighted rifle will fit right behind the truck seat and it would be a good cal. for close Oinker hunting.

I have an H&R in 45-70. I love it. Well suited for my cast needs. I also have a 500 S&W encore rifle.

It's hard to decide which caliber I'd rather have in a handi rifle. With casting, I don't think you can go wrong either way. The 500 S&W shoots the 440 Lee's and the lee .500 Minnie improved (wadcutter - Tumble Lube) very well. The 45-70 eats any .458 I can find. Loves the Lee 500gr GC and postel.

If it were me, I'd go with the 45-70, pick up the Lee 500gr rnfp GC and the lee 500gr postel.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    Guess I will have to get sizer/luber also. Are the lee 500 s/w 440 gas check boolits

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Stihl View Post
    I have an H&R in 45-70. I love it. Well suited for my cast needs. I also have a 500 S&W encore rifle.

It's hard to decide which caliber I'd rather have in a handi rifle. With casting, I don't think you can go wrong either way. The 500 S&W shoots the 440 Lee's and the lee .500 Minnie improved (wadcutter - Tumble Lube) very well. The 45-70 eats any .458 I can find. Loves the Lee 500gr GC and postel.

If it were me, I'd go with the 45-70, pick up the Lee 500gr rnfp GC and the lee 500gr postel.
    I have a Uberti Hiwall in 45-70 and am very interested in hearing about the powders and loads you use with the 500gr Postell bullets you mentioned.
    I am headed for the range right now to see how well it burns WC860 surplus powder behind the 500 for a bit milder load to plink with.
    I know, I should use smaller bullets, but I like the way the big bullets kick up dirt etc. etc..
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Buying more gun stuff is what bonus and OT money is for LOL Enjoy! I may looking into an H&R Handi soon

Boolit Master

I have the H&R in .500S&W.
    I'm using the Lee 440 gr boolit over a case full of Triple 7.
    It is a hoot to shoot.
    I'm too cheap to buy gas checks for the .50 so I punch out disks of 1/32 plastic to go over the powder.
    Lube is Lar's Carbauba Red.

I'm getting no leading or built up fouling and the accuracy is good.

Jack

The Lee .500 440 is a gas check boolit. But there are a few plain base options. The Lee REAL muzzleloader boolits size down to .501 nicely. I shoot one of those over Trail boss. The 440 over trailboss or 10gr of Unique without a gas check works well for plinking loads. Lee makes a .501 push through sizer as well. I've tumble lubed the 440's and shot them unsized over unique with good results.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    I have a Uberti Hiwall in 45-70 and am very interested in hearing about the powders and loads you use with the 500gr Postell bullets you mentioned.
    I am headed for the range right now to see how well it burns WC860 surplus powder behind the 500 for a bit milder load to plink with.
    I know, I should use smaller bullets, but I like the way the big bullets kick up dirt etc. etc..
    Thanks
    I shoot the postells over Trail boss alot. I've used 5744 with good results and I'd like to find a load with Varget to try out. Might try 35gr of Varget if I can verify that it's safe.

I cast mine out of whatever is in the pot, size to .458 with Lars red using a Hot Glue filled and formed top punch and then seat with a Postell seating stem.

I also played around with sizing these down to .451 and patching them. Had decent results, but I didn't persue it past, "hey that works".

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    I think I will go with the 500 S/W. I can get brass, checks, lee mold, lee sizer for around 125 bucks. Already have 500 S/W dies. I load 400 grain sierras for a co-worker who is going across the pond Lion hunting and plains game hunting in a month or so

i can load my h&r handi rifle to ruger no 1 pressures and it will handle anything you can , it a 45/70 and use the 450 and 500 and 340 lee molds all work great and the brass is much cheaper and once in a while you may find some on the range , but the 500 s& w dont hold your breath i never found a range pickup yet ... my 2c 45/70 itll drop anything in the continent if you load it right

My 500 brass has been sized and loaded atleast 8 times each and I don't expect it to wear out anytime soon. My RCBS dies work the brass very little. The 440's over a near max charge of Lil'Gun (I only use lil' gun in the rifles) and a good crimp makes for a powerful accurate load.

I will say, my 16" encore has eaten a couple junk scopes. My 500 rifle barrel caused a brand new short money simmons to give up the ghost in 3 rounds. The impulse is serious. I shoot the 16" with iron sights now and the rifle has vortex which thus far has held up.

Theodore Roosevelt

Moderator Emeritus

I have 2 H&R 45-70's. I recommend them to anyone looking to get into 45-70 shooting on the cheap side and still have a quality firearm. I shoot everything from powerhouse Ruger #1 loads in it down to plinker 10gr of unique loads in it. The only thing I don't like are the Williams rear barrel sights. I changed them out for the receiver type sights, they still mount on the barrel, but have all the adjustments that the typical Williams receiver sights do.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=572292
    If you end up with either caliber, 500S&W or 45-70, I'd put those sights on it.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Buddy
    GOT ME A NEW BACON SLAYER!!! Well after alot of phone tag lookin for the H and R 500 S/W was told to use GunGenie.com to find one. I did found one about 10 min from my house at a gun shop I never knew existed. I was told by to diff. gun dealers H and R discontinued production of the 500 S/W handi rifle. Deposit is paid and contacted seller and the order to midway is placed for the extra castin and loading goodies. I guess my bonus check is going right to credit card bill!!!! Thanks for the posts guys.

The half inch fever will take hold. What did you do for molds?

Theodore Roosevelt

Banned
    Everytime I hear of an H&R 45-70, it reminds me of the one I passed up in the late 1980's. The dealer wanted $60 for it and i thought it was too high since the 30-30's were going for $40 used.

Boolit Master
    Why fool around? Get both!

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

Through the barrel accesory program you can have your H&R reciever fitted with a spare barrel in just about any caliber you want. Scrolling down to the bottm, it looks like the 500 S&W would cost ony another $96 + S&H, if you buy the 45-70. (The 45-70 costs an additional $120 + S&H).

Of course, there does not appear to be a limit on the number of spare barrels you can have fitted.

Boolit Master
    Go to gbo then check out the handi forum. I have both and a good plenty more. The 500 is a thumper. The 45/70 has a real following among the handi faithful. The 500 is a bit more problematic. The accy barrel will run in the 150-160 range with all the fees and shipping.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Stihl View Post
    The half inch fever will take hold. What did you do for molds?
    I got the lee 440 grain gas check mold

Boolit Buddy
    Gun order just got to the shop via Fed Ex overnight from Phoenix AZ to Palm PA. Internet tracking is great!!

What are you doing here then.....go get it!

Theodore Roosevelt