Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 45ACP identify please.......

Boolit Master

45ACP identify please.......

Folks,

I just went through about 1000 rounds of clean, tumbled, and deprimed 45 ACP brass.

Out of all the brass, I found one I've never seen before. (See Photo) Its a 45 ACP case made by Winchester with an NT headstamp beside the "WIN".

I don't want to sound stupid, but, I"ve never seen anything like this. Its a 45 case that takes a small pistol primer. Also, is there any significance to the "NT" addition?

HV in SC
    Last edited by HiVelocity; 08-22-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Boolit Man
    Non-Toxic is what the NT stands for, they use small pistol primers for some reason beyond me. Really annoying to not notice it until its in the press with a primer jammed somewhere it shouldn't be.

Boolit Mold
    From what I understand it's made for indoor ranges.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info.......

See! I knew I could count on you all to educate me.

Yep, I found the "culprit" while I was hand priming while reading posts on this website. I lightly touched the primer and felt the ram hit hard and no primer seat.

I decided to check for an obstruction before trying again, and found out why.

Thanks to all,

HV in SC

PS- Now to "Make the lead run hot!"

I have 1000 of these put back in case of a primer shortage.

My pal was worried during the last primer shortage that he would not be able to shoot his 1911. He had small pistol and small rifle primers. Both of these will work in the NT cases. He rested better when I informed him of my stash.

I don't know abolut now but a couple years ago these cases were cheap.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Grand Master

Small primer 45 ACP brass is showing up more and more. No big deal to me as I inspect my brass before I do anything to it...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

I'm mildly surprised there hasn't been a bigger push by manufacturers to standardize on a single size primer for pistol cartridges and one for rifle cartridges. I know some like the 25 ACP would have to remain small, but with the priming compounds available now is there really an instance where you can't get enough heat out of a small primer to light a charge?
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master

45 acp .............

Personally,

I'd like to see 45ACP standardized with small pistol primers. That way I can stock up on both small pistol and rifle and if things get tough, I can use either.

I remember many years ago the speed shooters would only use SRP's in 38 super and 9mm in speed shoots. Supposedly, that's all they could get (at the time) and burned a tad hotter than the SPP's.

HV