WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Beretta 92FS?

Beretta 92FS?

I'm in the market for a new pistol and was thinking of the 92FS. I shot one in the Army years back now so I know about the pistol well the M9 version enyway. So I was thinking about the 1911 but I do like the single/ double action of the 92 ,I use to carry the 1911 and can't tell you how many times I took my pistol off to find the saftey off and I carrred it locked and cocked. And the abilty to rehit a primer if it doesn't go off the frist time is a plus. I carry a glock 22RTF now ( I hate a Glock but they go boom 99.9% of the time) so size is not a issue. So does this gun shoot better than the old M9's, and how do they handle cast boolits. And if you cast for one what is your best shooting mold and powder combo. Eny help would be great.

Boolit Master
    I have put quite a few rounds of cast 125gr boolits and Unique through a friend's 92FS, zero problems. Also shot three or four other Berettas, and all seem to be decent pistols. The single/double trigger is a great style IMHO, so if you are in the market for a full size 9mm Beretta does make a good one. You might also want to look at the Springfield XD not a SA/DA trigger, but a great full size pistol.

Boolit Master

The differences between a M9 and 92FS is basically cosmatic. When I used to have my 92FS I used to shoot cast 125 LRN in it all the time usually under a charge of AA#5. Love both the M9 and M1911A1 and carried both in Iraq for numberous years in 5th SFGA. I'm also looking into picking up another Beretta so I can finish working toward my Distinguished Pistol Badge.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Love both the M9 and M1911A1
    You don't hear that often, but the 1911 and 92F are the only pistols I more than one of.

I bought my 92F new in the 1980s and have no idea how many rounds I've put through it, but it's a lot. Later I bought a 92FS Brigadier because I was shooting a lot more in training and competition. The only thing I've done to either is replace the locking block on the 92FS with a newer style (not because the old one broke) and I put an Ernie Langdon spring kit and trigger in it. I wish I had bought a 92G-SD when they were around.

I load up a large batch of 9mm and shoot til it's gone. Sometimes I use the same load twice, sometimes not, so without going out to look I can't tell you what the current load is.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

I'm one of those that loves the Beretta 92. It's actually easier to make shoot well than a 1911.

One thing to keep in mind about the Beretta is the groove diameter --and this true of just about ALL service type 9mms-- runs about .357". Boolits cast to the appropriate diameter will decrease your group size by half compared to standard ball ammo. My 92 shot with cast boolts over a light charge of 231 was an unholy terror at the local steel plate matches.

Furthermore, a match barrel, threaded barrel bushing, remedial slide tightening, and a decent trigger job will have the Beretta shooting as good as or better than a 1911 costing thousands.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

I shoot cast, jacketed and plated in my 92FS - seems to work with all - accuracy doesn't seem to match some of my other guns (SIG) but it's acceptable - periodically I have noticed some show up when PD's change guns (to glock usually but then I see glocks traded in too).

Easy gun to suppress - just use 147 or heavier bullets - end of barrel sticks out in front of slide far enough to thread 1/2x28 depending upon suppressor you may need to change recoil and hammer springs. Seems to be a lot of used Crimson trace Laser grips for this model showing up on E-bay. Magazines can be picky with this gun watch out for aftermarket ones.

Boolit Buddy
    I love mine!

I went ahead and bought a new one from Acadmay Sports for 579 + tax. It is one of the Italy made gun I've read that those are better than other companys I looked at the Taurus version and it may look the same but the fill is not the same. The trigger seems alot harder than the m9's I shot in the Army, I guess it was broke in better. I'll go to the range this weekend and do a range report when I get back.

Boolit Mold
    I own a 92FS and cast a Lee 356-125-2R mould with HP-38. I've been shooting them as they drop, a couple grains under and about .3556. One of the first things I found was that Hodgdon had no data tables for a lead round nose in this weight. They recommended using the conical nose data and work the OAL by checking chamber fit and proper headspacing.

The accuracy is everything I had hoped for and it's really a pleasure to shoot handloads in it.

+1 on Artful's advice on the aftermarket magazines. I bought three during the ban and the only thing good I can say about them is that they are awfully cheap. Factory is the way to go.

Boolit Master
    Lots of used "Police Trade ins" , @ the various gun Distributors across the U.S. Your local F.F.L. holders prob. have them in the flyers they get from Dist. I bought 5 at various times during the 2010 year. I kept some of the "LESS" used ones and sold off a couple to family members at a very small profit. Some of them must have been in the office drawers of "Desk jockies". The night sights aren't working thought. May require replacement or the sights painted over....

Boolit Master

Jumping a bit off of the Beretta subject. I have one of the Turkish clones CDNN is/was selling for $299. Outside of the absence of the chromed chamber and barrel, identical to the Beretta 92. The ATI 92 comes out of the same factory Beretta contracted with to build certain parts. I have some where in the neighborhood of 400 rds of cast and a box of cheapie Wolf steel case jacketed through mine and I'm totally satisfied I got my money's worth. I had a dud Wolf round that didn't go bang the first time is the only hick-up so far.

Got back from the range and went throw 100 cheapo fmj .No feed problems at all I shot part of the frist box and was talking to another guy who just got his first AR and my doughter asked if she could shoot the gun and before I knew it she wshot up about 75 round I guess she likes it. It was hitting low but that was most likey the ammo. I'm going again in the morning and trying some UMC 115gr.

Boolit Master

My experience with the Beretta 92 is that groove diameters run very large, about .358". The chambers on my M9, 92FS and 92G barrels run large enough for me to seat .359" barrels.

I like the Lee Cowboy .38 special 125gr RF bullet. The pictures on the website and in the various catalogs, and even on the boxes themselves, is the old version. The new version has a flat base and a smaller flat on the nose.

Boolit Bub
    I love mine ,it's my everyday carry. I shoot the Lyman 356420 boolit with some mixed results so far. Its a great weapon if you have large hands, my wife dosen't really like it. I'm still working on a cast boolit load it likes, but it likes a 115gr. behind 4.5grs. 231 for plinking and I load a 147gr. Gold Dot for carry. I've probably shot over 10,000 rds and its still tight as the day I bought it, you can't go wrong with it.

Has enyone tryed this mold? Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 356-125-2R . I like Lee molds they always are a good value.

Boolit Master
    One thing I like about most DA/SA auto pistols is that you don't have to take off gloves in order to get your trigger finger into the trigger guard, if you thumb cock first of course.
    Not speaking of thick bulky gloves, just common unlined or thinly lined cold weather gloves.
    I like to wear German Airforce gloves I picked up new unissued and dirt cheap because they hadn't passed inspection because of two tiny punched holes in the leather near the cuff.
    These are fairly thin and once broken in are very flexible.

I've grown accustomed to the de-cocker, and magazine disconnect of my S&W59. I never cared for carrying my old Remington Rand cocked and locked.
    Of course the S&W59 can't be carried cocked and locked and wouldn't need to be for a rapid first shot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrocker View Post
    Has enyone tryed this mold? Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 356-125-2R . I like Lee molds they always are a good value.

That is a great style mould and has worked well for me in two XDs and a Beretta 92FS. However I personally would splurge for the 6-C Lee, and not bother with a 2-C Lee mould. The Lee 2-C are a very poor design and not up to other brands of 2-C moulds out there in quality or durability. The 6-C are a good value for the money though.