WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Question about lead types

Boolit Man

Question about lead types

Sort of. I didn't know how to word the question. I have ingots that I've bought from people. I will have ingots that I've smelted. Do you guys seperate these or mark these? Would they all go in a pile to be casted? I mean they are all going to become bullets.

Boolit Master
    I separate by known alloy ingots. If I have alloys that I don't know exactly what's going on then I'll test their BHN hardness and put them into groups. I have a large smelter that I'll remelt the same or very similar BHN ingots into smelt batches and then store the larger batches.
    Last edited by RobS; 04-12-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Boolit Master

I did some smelting this afternoon. Melted all the WW's, good... Melted all the lead pipe and other fairly pure...good. Then I had 6 of these "soupcan shape ingots" that I've had for some time. Don't even remember where I got them. Somebody gave them to me. Anyhow, I'm really glad I saparated them when melted. They're really hard and have a goldish tinny look. Gonna have to take them to a scrapyard to get them checked out. I really don't know what they are. They're not zink or anything nasty. We shall see.... enjoy Mike PS.. always separate your stuff when you don't know for sure.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Man
    Thanks guys. Since these will be all ww lead, I can just seperate by hardness then.

Boolit Master
    I separate all my lead, WW, Mono, Lino, range scrap and misc. I've been blending and looking for a mix that works for me, mainly to stretch out my WW supply. I then make a batch of my blend, so every ingot I add to the pot is the same.

Boolit Master
    Captaint, that wheat straw color indicates high tin content. Your ingots are probably solder of some sort.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight